Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall i gota 95 xlt with no rust on it exept for the damn tailgate ive tried bondo and it looked good for a month or 2. but didnt stay smooth for long right there at the bottom of the gate just wont stop rusting has anyone won the battle of the rusty tailgate if so please fill me in on the secret

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
i would like to see em, a new tail gate is the way to go

·
Registered
107 Posts
bronco lover said:
Yea you win it by buying a new tailgate.
:thumbup
I need a new one but I'am going to try to seal the top where all the moisture and water goes down . What I want to to do Is have a tray made that would go down like a 1/2 inch down in and seal it to the tailgate and use a piece of plexiglass for my window(which is in use now but is a bit roughed up) since I keep breaking the glass one's.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
For my 92 and 88 I simply had a piece of aluminum bent to cover the bottom.

Even roughed it up a little with steel wool to kinda match the middle section.

Adrianspeeder

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
This covered it up for about 6yrs. But eventualy the rust climed high enuf to see again.

POR-15 should stop it if aplied corectly.

But the best awnser is a new tailgate with the inside and lower outside coated with POR-15 before it is painted.

·
Banned
18,238 Posts
The real secret is CHANGE THE WEATHERBELTS when they start to degrade. I'd bet a lot that ANYONE with a rusty t/g also has scratches on his glass from the weatherbelts dry-rotting. And if you use your defroster... Well, just watch for a post by Saltywater. :cry

·
Registered
566 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
For my 92 and 88 I simply had a piece of aluminum bent to cover the bottom.

Even roughed it up a little with steel wool to kinda match the middle section.

Adrianspeeder
hey how much can you make another one for and have it shipped to me? It looks great!!!!:beer

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,972 Posts
I simply went to a sheetmetal shop that makes custom ductwork. Guy did it for 5bucks in three seconds with scrap he had. Would be cheaper than shipping to you.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
484 Posts
I bought new rubbers and then a replacement lower tailgate piece from NPD and when I had the body work n paint done had them weld it on there and it looks great. I think i may have ran me like $40 at the most. Looks all original. I also had bent n cut a piece of sheet metal for the underneth of the tailgate with drip holes in it to help prevent from water build up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey adrianspeeder if you can get me a peice that fits like the ones in the pics ill def buy one off you for 20$ and shipping jus leme know id appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
pics

took longer then i expected but here are the pics..
mind you this is my first attempt at welding any kind of paneling.
18 ga. galv. steel trim

close up of open hem on the side of trim

had to open one end to slide inner tailgate panel in.

this is the spare tailgate i had to do this on

i didnt have a camera when i was done with it so all i have is finished pics

bottom of tailgate. welded area outlined

this is the side of tailgate where i welded it. it didnt come out as i wanted

i think it came out ok since i didnt put to much effort in it. the trim peice could use some tweaking but for what it is and what you actually see it's ok for now

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks like a good repair!

I had the same thing with an 86 I had. I bondo it and it looked good for 2 months and then he came right back out.

My only suggestion is to find an salvaged tailgate or new oem ($700!). I found one with no rust for $50. Put new seals in it and painted it for about $100.

Good luck.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Brizonco Ive seen your truck around south Florida For sure. I live in davie i think your friend was dating my sister lauren the other kid with the white bronco.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts