Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rythmic clicking in my front left brake, it started when i changed to thermo quiet brakes(ironic), i changed the rotor and the bearings and its stil doing it, anybody got an idea what it is??

·
Registered
373 Posts
Remove your wheel and check to see if the pad has play within the caliper. My buddy had to get another reman'd set of calipers on his bronco to fix a clicking sound caused by the pads moving in directions they shouldn't in the calipers grooves for the pad ears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have any vibration/pulsing? I had a rotor that had a scabbed area (like an inclusion in the casting that wasn't visible until the rotor wore) on the back side that I couldn't see until I removed the rotor.

If its not that harsh, and it just clicks, it could be something stuck hitting the back of the wheel lugs or something like that.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts
What the heck are you driving for one. do you have auto hubs??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry i havent been on in a while i still have the problem i replaced the rotor, i have manual hubs (Milemarker) there is play in the smaller pad, this didnt start until i switched to ceramic thermo quiet pads, I get a really loud click when i tap the brakes rhythemic when im just cruising and it stops if i hold the brake and the gas, its only at low speeds on the drivers side

Its an 89 and its still got the ttb on the front cant wait till i can afford to give it the salute :goodfinge

·
Registered
568 Posts
Did you put the anti rattle clips on? When I did my brakes I didnt know where they went and it would click.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
they didnt come with rattle clips but the passenger side doesnt do it

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a rythmic clicking in my front left brake, it started when i changed to thermo quiet brakes(ironic), i changed the rotor and the bearings and its stil doing it, anybody got an idea what it is??
Check your u-joints
PW

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
I had a click from the front left. It went away when i swapped out the plastic warn manual hubs with some nicer superwinch units. I don't think the hub was disengaging all the way. you might want to play around with yours.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Go buy a set of anti-rattle clips. what happens is the pad sticks to the rotor which pushes the pad up to where it hits the caliper body and goes "click", the hit makes it fall back down again where it goes "click" once more and the process starts all over again.

It won't do it if the brakes are applied, the frequency will rapidly increase with speed until you get to around 15 or 20 mph where it will basically go away until you start to slow back down where it'll pick up again.

The anti-rattle clips spring load the pad against the caliper body to make it so it can't click up and down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it goes away when you even slightly press the brakes, then I can guarantee that it's the anti rattle clips. I found out that just because they don't come with new pads doesn't meant that you don't need them.

My was doing the same thing. They're less than two bucks for two of them from NAPA.

·
Registered
331 Posts
the anti rattle clips dont come with new pads, you have to reuse the old ones... did you throw yours away? of the 20+ vehicles ive owned and many more that ive serviced, the ones that had these clips never had new ones with the new pads...

·
Registered
100 Posts
"Rythmic" clicking sounds a lot like your hubs or u-joints. If the brake fixes recommended don't do it, that's where I'd go next. Good luck!

·
ford freak
731 Posts
the anti rattle clips dont come with new pads, you have to reuse the old ones... did you throw yours away? of the 20+ vehicles ive owned and many more that ive serviced, the ones that had these clips never had new ones with the new pads...
ask for the 'brake hardware kit' the parts store. they have new clips, boots, and lube in the package. for our trucks its $5-$10.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts