Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to SAS my S-10 with a D44 & 9" form a 78 Bronco and I was pretty set on just going with leaves, but I am still considering coils. What kind of coils would be the best to go with on such a light truck? Im not sure if EB springs would be too tight...Also, how much money can I get away with doing this. I have the axle and will need to buy new coil seats, and then wrist the radius arm. Just looking for some suggestions and parts that would be used on a light truck like mine. Thanks - Jared

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
WTF.... Aint this a Ford site? Whats with the name?

Go back to your village, your people are calling...

http://s10-4x4.org/

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
You should consider dropping a real motor in there too.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, point being that I have bronco axles and will have to set it up similarly. Not many S10 guys have done it, plus S10 Extremists has kinda been acting dead lately.
Oh and about the engine, its whoops a Ranger so I'm content with it.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
:wacko

·
Master Bater
7,267 Posts
how much does your rig weigh? I would think you could get away with ranger ttb coils just fine, if not EB coils.
I have a set of extended, heimed and a wristed arm for sale if you are interested. They are heavy mofos, so shipping might be a lot.

POst some pics of your frame rails, so we can get an idea of what mounts would look like. The only thing to really consider with that would be how your caster angel would be when all is said and done. You can run radius bushings upside down and backwards to get negative caster if need be. This should be cool.

OTH, chevy leaves in the front would be easy, though I am not too familiar with frame widths/type on your truck.

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
The OHV 4.0's sucked but the newer SOHC 4.0's are a decent motor especially when mated with a 4.10 rear end. I wouldnt trust a 4.3 to go as far as I could shit a brick especially if you want it powering a lift truck with decent sized tires.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the truck weighs around 3300 I think, around 3500 nonetheless.
pm me about the price on those wristed arms!
the from rails are plenty enough to put fullsize leaves, about the size of a fullsize frame almost- but use a ranger frame as an example i guess.
I plan on running 37s and having substantial lift, probably 10-12" I would think (have 5" susp and 2" body now).
Im just trying to see if I can do this all inexpensively and well. I dont want to do it cheap if it isnt going to be set up right. If thats the case I will just go with leaves until I save up enough money to eventually do it the right way.
btw, remember this is a DD and isnt meant to be a "hardcore krawler" or anything lol. I want it to be really good offroad, but nothing insane because it will probably be almost more of a weekend warrior than anything- but definitly not a trailor queen.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I started the s10-4x4.com years ago, Mark has gone though extensive efforts to crop me out of the picture all together. Mark and myself started the S-10 4X4 Bash in 2000. I got tired of the bullshit, let the site and the domain go. They secured the .org domaine and "tried" to breath life into it. They did pretty good. I dont care about the S-10 scene any more, they can have it and keep it.

That set aside, the most common axles were from early Bkos, D30/44 and 9", were the right width for the chassis. Leaf spring suspension would be easiest, just like any SFA/SAS swap.

Good luck! :thumbup

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would leaves be the cheapest?

assuming the answer is yes, my front D44 has the radius arm casting onto the axle, no weld marks so it isnt welded onto the frame doesnt look like. Would it be ok to weld the leaf perches directly on the top of those so if I put the radius arms on later I can keep the casting?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I think your gonna hafta do either perches or castings... The castings are most likely going to be in the way of the u-bolts.

Theres a possibility that the axle tube was manufactured with the casting on them, meaning you cant get rid of them (you will do more damage than good trying to torch and cut them off). If the Cs are welded on, you can whack them off.

Are you using a full size axle or a compact vehicle axle? Like I mentioned before, the D30&44 from early bkos (66-78) are ideal width for those trucks! I once had a 30 from a '68 when I had my S-10. Sold the S-10 for $500 with a cracked (again) flex plate and gave the axle away.

I now have, for another never never project, a D44 from a 150 supercab for my Bko. Please Lord, lemme get this installed. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These axles are fullsize, D44 is 67" and 9" is 65" I believe. Maybe the casting eont be exactly where the leaves need to go. If so, I can just leave them there and not worr about them I guess. Otherwise, Im not sure what I'll have to do.

If the casting is welded on I'm assuming there are weld marks all around the casting?
Mine doesnt have any of that, looks just like part of the axle with no welds.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
frame rail width is about 3-3.5"
the frame extends about 2 more feet past the shock mount/hub.
I know leaf springs can be done by welding a crossmember in the front- essentially boxing in the front of the open ended frame and then welding the mounts underneath.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
by the way, does anyone have pictures of the radius arm casting: one axle where the casting is casted onto the axle and another of an axle where the casting is welded onto the axle housing?
I think my axle might have it casted onto the housing, and I dont know how feasable or possible it is to cut or grind that off for leaf springs?? can anybody help me out with that? thanks

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well if they are cast...what can I do about that, other than go coils? I really think going coils is going to cost me more than I have to do the right way. Granted I could just throw what I have on now, I want it to be done right and not just stock radius arms with little flex.
Plus I think if the truck is going to be a DD for the most part but see some moderate offroad action, I dont know if I necessarily need coils. That might be overkill so idk.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts