Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go to ZR2.com and PM Brian (that's his username as well) he's my step brother, and he built up a 96 ZR2 S10. He can definately give you a hand and read through all of the solid axle swap threads. He knows what he's talking about. http://www.terratraction.com/gallery/projectzr2 that's the photo's of his buildup.

Brian

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Because of the whole moving deal thats going to be going on with the family, I think its going to be easiest for me to just use radius arms, with some slight modifications of course.

The rear should take no time, but think it can be done in 3-4 weeks times with the help of an extremely good fab/welding brother?

The axles don't have far to go to be done, and then it will just be a matter of mocking everything up, measuring, and fabbing and welding stuff on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
omg kid, make up your mind, coils or leafs? I dont know what your saying about stock r/a not flexing good enough, my bko flexes plenty good w/ no sway bars.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
omg kid, make up your mind, coils or leafs? I dont know what your saying about stock r/a not flexing good enough, my bko flexes plenty good w/ no sway bars.
haha its been coils for the past year or so. but then again i havent been messing with the axles for quite awhile because of school, so I havent posted much since about a year ago.

And RAs were pretty much a last resort. I'd rather not abandon my vehicles stock setup for another vehicles stock setup...
It'll be custom control arms.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Anyone know if Mustang SVO calipers work with a disc brake conversion?

I know those are the calipers that Stainless Steel Brakes use with their truck 9" conversion.

Anyone know if that can work or if there are caliper brackets that would match up with these calipers?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I dont know all about your conversion but I welcome you here to this site (even if it is broncos) I understand you are using bronco axles so it doesnt seem completely out there.

I used to drive alot of s-10's with the co. I used to work for. All of them had the vortech 4.3l v6, man that is an awesome motor.

Good luck with the swap.

·
www.lifted4christclub.com
2,708 Posts
go to my truck club site, my friend and co-founder of the club just did a solid axle swap on his s-10. on the left of the site i have a link to s10 extremist, they have step by step on how to do it, my friend used that. also, i ahve pics on the site of how he set his up. used early bronco radius arms and coils and upper buckets from a new wrangler.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I dont know all about your conversion but I welcome you here to this site (even if it is broncos) I understand you are using bronco axles so it doesnt seem completely out there.

I used to drive alot of s-10's with the co. I used to work for. All of them had the vortech 4.3l v6, man that is an awesome motor.

Good luck with the swap.
Yeah I love the 4.3. Thanks a lot man.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
go to my truck club site, my friend and co-founder of the club just did a solid axle swap on his s-10. on the left of the site i have a link to s10 extremist, they have step by step on how to do it, my friend used that. also, i ahve pics on the site of how he set his up. used early bronco radius arms and coils and upper buckets from a new wrangler.
I am a member of S10extremist, so I searched on there for the write up you were referring to, but couldnt find it. I'll have to look more when I get hoem. If you by chance know of the specific link, I would really appreciate it.

as far as an UPDATE on the SAS:

It will start here in about a week and half, and my buddy should have it done in about a week or so.

I've already mentioned the D44 HP/ 9" with Detroit and 31 spline rear, 4.88 Yukons up front and 4.88 Stranges in the rear.

As of yesterday:
-Aussie Locker for the 44
-Rubicon Express 4.5" ZJ coils
-Bilstein 5125 series front shocks
-a bunch of brackets and tabs to make the swap move a lot faster and smoother

Other than basic suspension parts and pieces, I should be getting shackles to get 3-4" of lift, possible 1" high anti-wrap spring perches, 52" chevy leafs to mix in with my S10 packs for a little heighth and better durability, most likely 37" SSRs, and black Rock Crawler wheels (would like them to be 16" but we'll see).

Feel free to drop any comments, I'm definitely open for suggestions.

Jared

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thanks man, I'll probably mount the upper coil mount pretty low on the frame, so I should end up with a decent bit more than literally 4.5".

I hope to get some pictures of it at some point, but I may not be able to get any intil it's done.

·
Registered
959 Posts
anyone have any experience with welding on top of the cast material successfully? thats the issue at hand at the moment.
I have tig welded cast on a few axels and had everything hold succsesfully. DC Tig, about 180 amps, 1/8th tungsten, & 1/8th" Crown Alloys nickle tig rod. Get the cast very clean, if you pre-heat it with a oxy/acetylene rig you can get most of the contaminents out of the base metal, weld it up, and then wrap it in fire blankets to allow it to cool slowly. The post cool is much more important than pre-heating which you always hear about for cast. To actually preheat for a weld, you need a uniform sustained temperature, like a oven, and I doubt your axle will fit in your oen... If you hear any pops or pings while it is cooling, grind out the weld and start over, it cracked.

Later,
Jason

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Yeah, we might try that if we need to.
I'm just leaning on finding a weld-on C axle as to just skip that whole tedious process if at all possible.
Just not confident in it working out as smoothly as I'd like to imagine it would lol.

If anyone knows of any axles available feel free to let me know.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts