Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I managed to zap myself at work today with 110V AC. I've done this before, and it's no big deal, just a little shock, ya know? This time, though, one hand was hot, and the other hand got grounded. Zap! Right through my chest.

I didn't think anything about it at the time, other than "Man, you are an idiot!"

About 20 minutes later, I was suddenly light-headed, dizzy, short of breath, and had pain in my chest and left arm.

I just got back from the hospital now. No apparent heart attack, and everything looks clean, but I sure didn't feel good at the time.

Remember, insulated screwdrivers are your friend, as is using your damn brain while working with electricity.

·
FSM Lifetime
4,609 Posts
huge kudos to you for going to the hospitol. Most guys try to tough it out and research has shown that one of the reasons that heart attacks are deadly even today is because men and some women tend to try and tough it out until you're flat out on the floor.

You were lucky, but you were also smart getting the professionals to make sure you were ok :beer

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
I did the exact same thing about two weeks ago. I could feel the jolt going through my arms and chest. No after-effects like what you experienced though. Glad there was no damage to ya!

fwiw, I leaned my forearm on a set of exposed 240V 2-phase lines yesterday, too. :rofl: :brownbag

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
man i HATE getting zapped. it's just not natural.

glad you are ok. :beer

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,183 Posts
Yeah, 110v is a nasty hit when you're well grounded. Glad you're ok. I didn't realize that the shock we normally feel is when we are insulated in some fashion, & doesn't compare at all to having the whole thing run thru you to ground, until I felt it.

Back when I serviced restaurant equipment, I would take old thrown away icemakers home & run them for a day before checking them out. One night I walked out back, past an icer, with bare feet on dew damp concrete. I wasn't working on it, just going out back. As I passed, I brushed my elbow against the thing, which turned out to have a short to the chassis. I got the shock of my life.

I had to sit down & could feel my heart beat weird with huge, random thumps for awhile. It scared me pretty good. Looking back, I should have gone in like you did, but I was young & stupid. Really stupid.

Again, I'm glad you're ok (Oh, and I have a set of insulated screwdrivers now too :thumbup).

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Even though you got a clean bill of health did they happen to explain why you felt those side affects? Seems like some strange sideaffects to have if nothing is wrong.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
that sucks, Im glad you are OK.

I had a similar experience. My friends dad owns an electrical company and I was helping them out one day, I took a 220v shock, there was a hot chick nearby to so I just kinda sucked it up.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Even though you got a clean bill of health did they happen to explain why you felt those side affects? Seems like some strange sideaffects to have if nothing is wrong.
Could just be a panic attack, that happened to me once. It really feels like a heart attack.

Glad your alright!!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Your lucky, and good point about going to the hospital Audra.

I was wiring in a sensor light on my garage two summers ago. I was on the ladder figuring stuff out. The power was off a moment ago and I had turned it back on to test it. I don't remember exactly what I was doing but I noticed a wire hadn't had enough wire exposed and without thinking, I removed the insulation the way I've done it since in my teens.
I stripped it off using my teeth.:shocked:doh0715:
Ouch!!! I saw a blue light inside my eyes, my tonge hurt and my heart was a little excited too. I was lucky I wasn't grounded probably would have died otherwise.
That is one way I would hate to die, because of a Darwin move.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AC interferes with the "pacemaker" that runs your heart, and I had probably kicked it into some fibrillations. By the time I got to the clinic, it'd been almost an hour since I'd zapped myself, and things had calmed down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts