Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently swapped out my Ford pump for a Sag pump from a '91 E-van. However, I don't really notice the difference everyone is talking about.

It is quieter while the truck is running but in neutral while parked it still whines. Do I have a bad pump or is this normal? It seems to operate fine from a driver's standpoint - easy turning and spins freely back to center. It has not leaked a drop.

I mixed clear PS fluid with whatever red-stuff was in my old pump/box. Was that a bad idea? If I try to completely flush it out and replace with type F will it perform any better? Should I try another E-van pump?

My high-pressure hose is snaked around down there pretty well. It was fairly difficult to bend it in the right position and thread it into the box. Would I be better off buying a replacement that routes better?

Well guys thats all the info I got. Hopefully someone can lend some insight.

Thanks!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I think the main reason for the saginaw swap is ability to handle the stress from larger tires and low speed off-road conditions. On the street with stock tires, there ain't a whole lot of stress to begin with. As of now, I'm running a stock pump with stock tires and I can't imagine needing anything beefier. It's super easy to turn with very little noise. When I lift it and run 35's, well, that might be a different story. However, my dad's '85 f-250 is running 35's with the stock pump very easily.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I wasnt really looking for any performance difference, just a quieter pump. I also replaced because there was so much play in the shaft of my old pump that the pully was rubbing on the bracket.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Well, if that was happening, then it was definately worn, or the previous pulley was pressed on too far to begin with. No worries, you now have a heavy duty pump with more fluid capacity, so if you want to lift it or take it off road, you've already got that part covered. Ain't nothing wrong with that! :thumbup

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
drain the fluid and put all new clean fluid in there, would you put used motor oil in a new motor. there is a specific type of fluid to go in there as well. do a search for saginaw swap its been discussed.

did you have the front end jacked up with the tires removed and turned the wheel back and forth to get all the air out of the system? this is also very important

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
drain the fluid and put all new clean fluid in there, would you put used motor oil in a new motor. there is a specific type of fluid to go in there as well. do a search for saginaw swap its been discussed.

did you have the front end jacked up with the tires removed and turned the wheel back and forth to get all the air out of the system? this is also very important
Have to disconnect the drag link so the box will go through its complete to remove air. Its right in the factory manuals and it works!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird. My haynes says nothing about the drag link or raising the car to bleed. Is there a different manual that is better?

But, I'll flush the fluid and bleed it as bossind said and check back with you guys. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: and oh yea, what is a good way to get ALL the fluid out of the pump and box without ruining them?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,858 Posts
thanks bossind i forgot about that part. isnt there a specifc type of fluid to use as well.

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
i can tell a huge difference in mine, until the fluid disappears into thin air. i think im gonna run some 5w30 hydraulic in it and see it if does better.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
Weird. My haynes says nothing about the drag link or raising the car to bleed. Is there a different manual that is better?

But, I'll flush the fluid and bleed it as bossind said and check back with you guys. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: and oh yea, what is a good way to get ALL the fluid out of the pump and box without ruining them?
haynes is not a factory manual. :twak

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
As others have said, you havent noticed much because of the stock tires, meaning your pump was well within its capacity already. I run 35s and did the swap and noticed it most off-road and when making fast turns at slow speeds (like a u-turn). To get the fluid out of my system I disconected the return line from the pump and aimed it into a pan on the ground then started the engine for about 10 seconds. May not be the best way but it worked.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
thanks bossind i forgot about that part. isnt there a specifc type of fluid to use as well.
No problem, I tried everything to get rid of the whine mine had, tried a range of fluids and additives. Nothing worked! I couldn't imagine it making any difference to disconnect the drag link, than one day In frustration I broke down and disconnect it. 3 months of whine gone!

So Disconnect drag link, turn wheel all the way to the left and than the right, repeat. Do this for about a min with out the engine running. Than do it again with the engine running. Don't bind the wheel when it comes to its stops, just touch and reverse direction.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts