Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've tried to read every article I could find on the subject and am still confused. How exactly do you determine one pump is the prized 'saginaw' pump as opposed to the standard ford pos one? My stock one is leaking and whining so I would like to upgrade to a sag pump. Is this the correct pump to order for my '96 351? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/207272F.oap?year=1996&make=Ford&model=Bronco&vi=1106121. If that link doesn't work, it is part number 20-7272F at o'reilly.
I was also going to replace the lines and pulley to while I was at it... should I get standard replacement ones for my '96, or do i need this '79 high pressure line I've read about?

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
The pump you are looking at is the Ford pump, the Saginaw pump has a metal body and is tear drop shaped. Not sure about changing the lines over, I have a '79 and my Saginaw was a direct swap on pressure line and I had to lengthen the return line. I'm sure someone else who has done this swap on a '96 will jump in here and let you know what all is required.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I got the pump, bracket and high pressure line off a 94 e150 van. I just had to bend the line a little so it wouldnt rub the lower radiator hose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
on my 94 5.8, I used a pump and bracket out of a 92 e150, I did not have to change out the line, just bend it a little to get the threads started, couple thousand miles no leaks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I thought I read on someone's write up that there is supposed to be a bolt on pump? I.E. no bracket out of an E series? And would i order a PS pulley for my bronco, or one for the E150?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great write up, BUT what part number is his pump?! Just says he got it from advance. Is it for the E150 or what? I'm just looking for the correct list of parts to order...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
It's the Cardone 20-6244 pump that everyone is talking about on that page and the one that LarryP just posted a picture of. The one's out of the vans require the van's bracket to bolt up. The Cardone pump has that U-bracket on the front so it will bolt to the truck's bracket. Got it?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I search for 20-6244 on advance's site I get 0 results... ???

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Rockauto.com shows that part# but on a "rebuild basis" only. About 3-5 days to rebuild & $85.79 cost. Nice thing is you'll get a warranty, use your stock bracket & lines & the only other thing you'll need to buy is a cap....

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Well this sucks! Especially for guys like me who can't go scrounging around in junkyards for van brackets and pumps.:banghead

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
You could always call them & have them pull what you need off the vehicle & just pick it up. They may have a service charge, but I can't see it being very much. Plus, what you save in time & trying to remove the parts it's probably a smart idea....not a pick-n-pull but a regular salvage yard like Dealerships use for their used car depts:

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
I got my pump from a member here but my hole in the wall auto store was going to get me a new one for 128.00 they had 4 in stock. All mine is,
Is a heavy duty pump for a 78/79 bronco. and that part number was good last yr.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for clearing this up. Seems like the best way to proceed, given that 20-6244 is hard to come by or expensive, is to get an E series bracket from the junkyard and order a new E series pump (for the warranty)? should be able to use stock lines and pulley and belt?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I can get you a van pump/bracket/pulley....but it won't be cheap to ship.

Stock belt is fine, but the sag pump has a slightly larger diamter shaft so you have to use the van pulley. You'll also need the van pressure line as the fitting at the pump are different.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Justin, I may be interested in this, if you have another one. I guess you could ship it and the light you have for me? How much do you think it would run?

tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts