Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any specs on this pump? My stock Ford pump is, well, a stock Ford pump. Nowhere near able to keep up with my redneck ram. I'm curious to know because, I'm looking into getting an electric pump. So, I'd like to know the operating pressure and flow volume so I can get in the ballpark.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
dont know the specs, but a saginaw, slightly modified will be all you need.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ax,
I'm sure it would be enough pump for my application, but I'd really like to experiment with electric pumps. I really don't like the way I can't turn the wheels if the engine dies.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
A pump that size would drain the battery quick.
You'd need a much larger Alt.

Swaping to a larger Alt just for steering sounds silly to me. Swap in a larger PS pump for steering sounds like a simple plan

·
www.easttn4x4.com
2,191 Posts
What application is best to get the saginaw from? I've heard chebbys use em.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What year Van? Does it have a bracket that will fit 351M/400?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
usually same year as your bronco, but in the 80s there are more used in vans it seems & the bigger vans are a better chance. really i never did the search, i bought them from people. the mods werent hard to make. i went thru two before i just modified the third one i got. 2 were supposed to be right off 460s too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know how much you want to invest in this but AGR sells a Sagnaw coversion kit for 351-400. You could possibly buy the braket from them ? Just a thought. Might try a early 70-74 Lincoln I heard they had a braket that needed minor changes and could be bolted up? :thumbup

·
Registered
467 Posts
Lonestar, what pump are you running? They require more flow than standard pumps put out.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got a Ford pump. It has the larger resevior though (the big metal one). I took it apart and drilled out the outlet, probably too much. It does work better at idle, but if I turn too much the pump trys to burn itself up. I'm going to look into increasing the inlet as well. I've got a buddy in a machine shop offered to make me an undersize pulley for it as well. I think I'll try it for free.

Or maybe I should just get the dang saginaw pump...

Also, what do ya'll use for a PS cooler? I've got that OEM framerail crap. Doesn't do crap when crawling though...

·
Registered
198 Posts
LoneStar, A1/ Cardone rebuilders offers a Saginaw replacement with an adaptor mount to take the place of your stock Ford pump. Check out your local parts supplier

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
trey aka superbronco said:
LoneStar, A1/ Cardone rebuilders offers a Saginaw replacement with an adaptor mount to take the place of your stock Ford pump. Check out your local parts supplier
Hey Trey - I've been looking for something like that but I can't find it. Is this what you did? Do you have any part numbers, source, etc?

I got some Saginaw brackets off a Lincoln and they will work but I can't make it fit with the A/C too.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
if you goto yahoo, use "saginaw, bronco" for your search there are several writeups with the part numbers. i cut & reflared my line & used a brass adaptor i got from NAPA & it works fine. search this site, i cant recall the adaptor part number.
thanks Ox http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/pspump.html & thanks to this guy Todd http://www.azbronco.org/tech08.htm he gives you the part number of the brass deal you can use... SEARCH is GOD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts