Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any specs on this pump? My stock Ford pump is, well, a stock Ford pump. Nowhere near able to keep up with my ******* ram. I'm curious to know because, I'm looking into getting an electric pump. So, I'd like to know the operating pressure and flow volume so I can get in the ballpark.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
dont know the specs, but a saginaw, slightly modified will be all you need.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
A pump that size would drain the battery quick.
You'd need a much larger Alt.

Swaping to a larger Alt just for steering sounds silly to me. Swap in a larger PS pump for steering sounds like a simple plan

·
Registered
467 Posts
What year Van? Does it have a bracket that will fit 351M/400?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
usually same year as your bronco, but in the 80s there are more used in vans it seems & the bigger vans are a better chance. really i never did the search, i bought them from people. the mods werent hard to make. i went thru two before i just modified the third one i got. 2 were supposed to be right off 460s too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't know how much you want to invest in this but AGR sells a Sagnaw coversion kit for 351-400. You could possibly buy the braket from them ? Just a thought. Might try a early 70-74 Lincoln I heard they had a braket that needed minor changes and could be bolted up? :thumbup

·
Registered
467 Posts
Lonestar, what pump are you running? They require more flow than standard pumps put out.

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got a Ford pump. It has the larger resevior though (the big metal one). I took it apart and drilled out the outlet, probably too much. It does work better at idle, but if I turn too much the pump trys to burn itself up. I'm going to look into increasing the inlet as well. I've got a buddy in a machine shop offered to make me an undersize pulley for it as well. I think I'll try it for free.

Or maybe I should just get the dang saginaw pump...

Also, what do ya'll use for a PS cooler? I've got that OEM framerail crap. Doesn't do crap when crawling though...

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
trey aka superbronco said:
LoneStar, A1/ Cardone rebuilders offers a Saginaw replacement with an adaptor mount to take the place of your stock Ford pump. Check out your local parts supplier
Hey Trey - I've been looking for something like that but I can't find it. Is this what you did? Do you have any part numbers, source, etc?

I got some Saginaw brackets off a Lincoln and they will work but I can't make it fit with the A/C too.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
if you goto yahoo, use "saginaw, bronco" for your search there are several writeups with the part numbers. i cut & reflared my line & used a brass adaptor i got from NAPA & it works fine. search this site, i cant recall the adaptor part number.
thanks Ox http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/pspump.html & thanks to this guy Todd http://www.azbronco.org/tech08.htm he gives you the part number of the brass deal you can use... SEARCH is GOD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.