Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pi$$ed and tired of the crappy stock pump on my truck - its a piece of crap, it whines, its hard to steer.

Everything I hear says that a Saginaw pump is the way to go but

Can someone tell me which pump/where to get to run on my truck?

Help please?? :banghead

I really want to run a rock ram type of system but I checked out the AGR site and its like $800!! There has to be a cheaper way. The fact that I run 35s with a full spool is just not cutting it with the stock pump. Now the pump is puking fluid everywhere and I'm sposed to go wheeling tomorrow. :mad:

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
damn dude guess your not going wheeling with a puking box. terminator is tight and will need all the steering you got.

sorry Im not much help with the older junk, I thought those came with sags?

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Screw that! I'm going...I'm just stocking up on fluid. :D

Its a cheap Checker pump!! :mad:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I got my pump and bracket off a 3/4 ton van with a 460, I ahd to open up the bolt holes where they mount to the block and make new spacers to get the belt to line up right. I have a welded front with 35" tires and it steers a whole lot better, still need to stretch the pressure spring so it will be better. Look at the redneck ram setup from West Texas Offroad you can send them your box and have it converted and they will send it back to you with the ram and all hoses and bracets for $450.00

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Saginaw Pump

Check the juck yards, look for a 75-80 Ford Lincoln Contental (I believe) with the 351M. Some of them came from the factory with the Saginaw Pump. Take all the brackets, pump and Hi-P hose. This is where I found my set up. But I forgot the Hi-P hose and can't install it till I find another one. The stock hose may fit, but you'll have to bend the end of the hose around since the Saginaw's Hi-P port is in the back. This is on my "to-do" list, but haven't gotten that far yet. :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
I did the swap on my truck when it was running.It came from a econoline van.All econoline vans came with saginaw pump but i forgot what years(e150-e350).My stock power steering pump didnt enojy turning 44s at idle and would puke all over the place while whining like a little cry baby.So i went to pick a part and found a saginaw pump.Installed it and was able to turn the 44s at idle with ease....A must swap!!!

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RTP. Thats the kind of info I need.

Now I just need to figure out the years.

I'm gonna be junkyard shopping next week anyway now since I need new axle shafts from this weekends trip.

·
Registered
918 Posts
if you cant find one locally,i know our junkyards will have them for sure.They are dime a dozen.Seem to have 8+ Econoline vans everytime i go there.Let me know if you need one and ill go this coming weekend

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
Eric do a search on PJB for this upgrade. It tells you what cars to get the pump from and what ones have the right bracket. I got mine. Took it from a car with hydroboost.

2 other things Eric. Redneck Ram for hydro steer. and the other is a big a$$ tranny cooler on the return line to your pump will make it live alot longer. Also stops the fluid from boiling.

·
That SmackMyB$tchUp Guy
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Don. I will do all of those things.

But, what is hydrosteer?

·
Welcome to the jungle
678 Posts
Just slang for Hydraulic Steering. Typically, that means there is no fixed steering linkage. Just some sort of metering device (i.e. orbital valve) and a cylinder to move the knuckles.

Hydraulic assist is where the steering linkage remains intact, but the gearbox is ported to channel fluid to a cylinder when needed. Thus, the "assist' name. The cylinder doesn't work all the time. Only when the box trys to move, and the wheels don't. Fluid is then channelded to the cylinder which then "convinces" the wheels to turn.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
SmackMyB#tchUp AKA Ecrist said:
Thanks Don. I will do all of those things.

But, what is hydrosteer?

I think your meaning Hydroboost??? Hydroboost is what they used on alof of older cars to assist braking instead of vacuum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts