Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we've done lots of these, and I'm doing it again with some improvements - pull up a seat and enjoy.

Because of my last sag install you all know I already have one of these on my Bronco, so lets do a little recap.

-Saginaw pump and bracket come from 1987-1997 ford 302/351 vans.

-302 and 351 are the same bracket so it won't matter which one you get.

-Your bronco pressure line will not work, you need the one that belongs to the donor. (steering boxes have the same fitting, pumps do not)

-You can buy a saginaw pump new that fits your bronco bracket - just another option for you than doing this. Link for ya on that

I bought a new pump off of ebay and because I have a couple extra sag pumps and brackets I'm going to build on one of those brackets, get it ready and than swap it into my bronco.

Something else you should know about my bronco so you'll understand why I'm doing the things I'm about to do. My bronco has Hydro Boost brakes and a hydraulic winch, so with steering I have 3 devices on the one pump.:shocked

Lets look at what I have picked up. Pump is for an F350, Reservoir is from a 1998 F150 and the bracket came off of a 96 E250 Van.

Notice the nipple on the pump for the reservoir hook up.

Ok lets start by removing the old pump from the bracket. I'm going to use this rechargeable impact gun from Makita

and this pump pulley puller. Pulley is pressed on, there is no bolt holding it.

Place on clam from the puller around the ridge on the pulley.

Insert the threaded shaft into the clam

Install the second clam and slide the sleeve to keep everything to geather.

Use your impact gun and it'll come right off.

Now remove these 3 13mm bolts and the pump will drop right out.

Now is a good time to clean up the bracket, I have an enclosed sand blaster and it makes short work of this.

After about 10 minutes it looks like this.

This is where I'm going to leave it for today, but stay tune cause we are going to do some powder coating! :chili:

January 30th 2008

Had no luck sourcing powder coating in town so I ordered some off of ebay. Hope 10bucks for 2lbs of gray is a good buy. Anyway because of 3 of these brackets and I will be performing an engine swap in the future I will finish this install with paint, and will return in a couple weeks do do the powder coating on one of the other brackets.

So here is the bracket now all cleaned up and the castings trimmed off.

I sprayed some Dupli Color wheel paint, this stuff goes on great and drys fast.

Heres the paint code.

back tonight with more.

Back from the shop.

Sand blasted the pulley and hit it with the same paint.

Mounted the new pump into the bracket

This is the pulley install tool

It threads into the shaft and pulls the pulley back on.

Pulley pressed back on

Ready to install on the truck.

Saturday Feb 01 2008

Today I started on the bracket that will hold the reservoir.

I'm going to mount the reservoir off of 2 bolts used bu the AC, this will place the reservoir directly over the pump.

Bit off a tight fit, it'll have to be just right to work and have all the lines clear.

I'll use some 1" x 5.5" angle iron on for the bracket, this will mount on the A/C pump.

The AC bolts are on 3" centers, I punch the angle iron to help guild the drill bilt

I used a drill press only because it was right there, you can use a hand drill for this.

This is what it should look like when your done drilling.

Here I have the OEM bracket from the F150, to save time I will reuse some of this.

First I need to cut off what I don't need, I'll cut right on this bend.

Test fit, notice I only tacked welded the OEM bracket to the angle iron.

Not bad, I think I can live with that so I'll finish the weld.

Thats all for today.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
no opposite under alternator... im sure you could find a way to moutn one there... probably be easier without a/c and form a bracket to hold both pumps... i wanna say theres brackets available... but dont quote me on that

just throwing it out there for giggles
d
c

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
make a bracket to run a second sag pump down where the smog pump sits:D

lookin good

dc
Guess I should have made it clear, I'm replacing my sag pump cause its leaking not because of lack of power. The reservoir is just a good idea.

·
green ones make me horny
11,156 Posts
hey boss how do you like that impact gun? i was thinking of getting a cheapo electrical one form harbor freight. i wont use it as much so i cant see buying a 200 dollar one.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
How does the sag pump handle all that load??

You said you got hydroboost, power steering AND a hydro winch? seems like that would just kill the pump. Have you had it wheeling much since you put all that on?

The reason i ask is I've heard some chevy guys having trouble running power steering and hydroboost off of one saginaw. Maybe their steering boxes or brakes just suck....

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey boss how do you like that impact gun? i was thinking of getting a cheapo electrical one form harbor freight. i wont use it as much so i cant see buying a 200 dollar one.
I've had it for about 2 years, I can remove all 4 wheels with it and reinstall on one charge. Its handy to have around, works good in the cold even - I left it out in the shed for a month and when I needed it, it was still fine and full of power. Spend the extra, you'll be happy you did. Oh it has an LED light as well which I thought was foolish but has come in handy when working in those not so bright areas. I've even used it as a flashlight.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the sag pump handle all that load??

You said you got hydroboost, power steering AND a hydro winch? seems like that would just kill the pump. Have you had it wheeling much since you put all that on?

The reason i ask is I've heard some chevy guys having trouble running power steering and hydroboost off of one saginaw. Maybe their steering boxes or brakes just suck....
The winch only draws when its in use, and when I'm winching I don't ussally apply the brakes. Also with hydroboost most of the braking is done with reserve pressure - it stores pressure. Its works fine uptill now other than the leak, and it was a used pump to start with. :beer Oh over the holidays I had her stuck good and I had a hard pull sideways and the steering worked fine through out the pull.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what year & engine F350?

you got an oven in the shop?
I'll have to check the ebay recept thingy, I want to say 2001 but I might be making that up. Yes we have an oven in the shop, nothing fancy but it works for small stuff.

Guess I don't have a date for you, here is what I have "Thank you for your purchase of Ford Power Steering Pump 7.3 Diesel Power Stroke with eBay item #170127071148" and of course its no longer valid caouse I bought it march of last year.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Im pretty sure my F150 of the 97-03 generation has the same reservoir...

Lookin spanky.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont know how you guys can work and take pics, but glad you do
It can be a challenge for sure, standing on a chair leaning over the engine compartment holding a reservoir while in the other hand operating a camera. Time to start working on getting some new friends, scratch the new - just some friends.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Saturday 9th 2008

Started the morning with a Tim Coffee - Double Double (2 sugar - 2 Cream)

First off I finished the bracket

Rounded off all the edges so it'll be flesh friendly

Remove the

Disconnect the mass air from its harness

release the air cleaner latches - there are 3

Stuff a rag or paper towel into the breather, we don't want something to end up in there.

We now have clear access to the pump and bracket

Remove the belt, I was able to do this by hand.

Disconnect the wires going to the AC

Place a pan underneath to catch the PS fluid

Unhook the lines to the old pump

Remove the 4 10mm bolts holding the AC compressor

The AC lines will flex some, I used some copper wire to hold it up and out of the way.

The bracket is held in place by 3 14mm bolts, remove them.

With the bolts removed you can remove the pump and bracket.

Because I'm using braided lines I need to swap over this adapter from the old pump into the new.

Install the new bracket and pump, reinstall the 3 14mm bolts

Reinstall the AC compressor leaving the bottom 2 bolts out.

Install the reservoir bracket.

Place the reservoir into the bracket

Install the hose that goes to the pump

Hook up return hoses - I have 2, one return from the steering box and one from the hydro booter.

Reinstall the belt

and the air breather, connect all the electrical that you unhook

Disconnect the drag link - this is the best way to remove all aire from the system

Just a picture dump right now, will clean up the details later.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like the new reservoir
Thanks, sure makes checking the fluid levels a lot easer. Anyway now I need to find some one to give me a tug, was testing it out in the front yard and got her dug deep into the snow.:banghead

1 - 20 of 21 Posts