Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Saginaw Pump - With OBA... Question?

5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave's Bronc 90 
#1 ·
So I am gathering parts to do both OBA, 3G alternator, and Sag Swap, and have a pretty good grasp on what I need to get them to work together. My question is for those that have done this already on a 92+ Bronco with the 351 and A/C who used the BroncoAir pulley and Bracket:

Using the "bolt on saginaw," what intereference issue did you come across with the OBA kit?

I also ask the same question to those who use the "van bracket swap" method.

The detail I am trying to find (after hundreds of posts without answer, but I did search :goodfinge), is whether or not there is a major difference in spatial arrangement between the direct bolt on PS pump, and the van bracket? From what I can tell, they are identical, but having no first hand experience, I wanted to ask the question. Because one Sag swap may be a better option than the other, in terms of ease of adaptation for the OBA pump.

It's my understanding that the OBA bracket from Broncoair needs shimmed to clear the Sag pump lid w/ the direct bolt on, so is this any different with the Van bracket?

Thanks for the help, and sorry for another Sag/OBA/3G thread :whiteflag

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not sure what you are referring to with "direct bolt on", but if you get the van bracket/pump/high pressure hose assembly, it will bolt right into your truck, where your old pump/bracket assembly was. The AC compressor sits on top, and it will bolt onto the van bracket in the same spot.

If the Broncoair kit interferes with the Sag pump, you can space it up a bit with shims, but that would be so easy it's not even worth worrying about.

#3 ·
The "100% bolt up" I was referencing in this link

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65983&highlight=saginaw+swap

I am not worried so much with having to shim a bracket upward, as much as I would be worried of any sort of pulley/belt interference as a result of either the "bolt up" pump, or the full on bracket. But like you mentioned, it sounds like the van bracket mounts everything the same...

#6 ·
What about the sag pump with a remote reservoir? Seems like that would take the cap removal out of the equation, if that's the interference that you're concerned about. If I remember correctly, Bossind has a pic or a write-up using the remote reservoir.

edit....Found it:

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115063

Seeing it again, I don't know if that nipple would hit the OBA bracket, but it's worth a look.

#9 ·
I'm running a sag pump with van bracket, and if you use the stock BroncoAir spacers you will indeed not be able to remove the sag pump reservoir cap. My solution was a little different though. The 2" spacer idea is okay, but ultimately the cap is still below the BroncoAir bracket, and even with stock spacers my York is touching the intake tubes. A better solution is to get a different sag pump, specifically the GM one with a remote reservoir. It bolts up exactly the same as the Ford Sag pump, but it allows you to put the reservoir some place more convenient. My remote reservoir came out of a junk yard Chevy van, and it is mounted on the back side of the metal plate behind the stock air filter box location, right in front of the master cylinder. Sorry I don't have any pics of it to post.

#13 ·
Right on guys, that is much appreciated. I like the idea of the remote reservoir. So I take it this GM-spec'd pump will mount up directly to the Ford Van bracket, but you just need to rig up a bracket to hold the reservoir in place? Sounds like a good idea. :beer

#14 ·
Well, nearly. It bolts onto the van bracket perfectly, however its serpentine pulley was just a touch out from being ideally lined up. I ended up using a couple grade 8 washers between the pump and the bracket to get the pulley to line up perfectly, and it has been running like that for several years now with no problems. It was minor enough that I hardly considered it worth mentioning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.