Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have everything together now...finally. so here is my question, how far forward do i have to move the front axle forward to be able to use my orignal d/s?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you can't figure that out then good luck on the swap...there are plenty of other things more complicated that you will be dealing with...you better pay attention to where your steering goes...caster....I didnt even worry about drive shaft length....it was the last thing I connected up and had a new shaft made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Inkdawg.... but i was only looking for some insight from other whom have experience so as to make my work a little easier. i built the 4" lift for my ttb, it has been my dd for over a year now

if it can be built, i can build it. If it can be ridden, i can ride it

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Bigtime said:
thanks Inkdawg.... but i was only looking for some insight from other whom have experience so as to make my work a little easier.

So your saying now that I have no experience....I guess I don't know what I am talking about then...last I checked 95 Broncos didnt come with a D60 and Sterling under them...:goodfinge I'm sure you will be getting lots of help now..

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Bigtime said:
thanks Inkdawg.... but i was only looking for some insight from other whom have experience so as to make my work a little easier. i built the 4" lift for my ttb, it has been my dd for over a year now

if it can be built, i can build it. If it can be ridden, i can ride it
you have to admit....don't you think the question is a bit silly? other than measuring your current front pinion snout (d44 stuff) against the new snout and yoke (D60 longer snout) and getting a difference what's the issue? There will be minor differences anyway depending on lift height and caster angle you set up (very minor stuff). Will this be a coil setup or leaf? If going coil, you'll be limited on how much you can move it forward anyway.

But I'd have to refer you to Indawg since I only did a D44 swap, not a 60.

·
Registered
316 Posts
InkDawg said:
So your saying now that I have no experience....I guess I don't know what I am talking about then...last I checked 95 Broncos didnt come with a D60 and Sterling under them...:goodfinge I'm sure you will be getting lots of help now..

InkDawg - see you should have purchased a 1992 Bronco - mine came all equiped for a coil d60 & sterling - they must have stopped that option in 1995 - I am just swaping out a few bolts and such to finish off some of the factory weak points - just about done......:goodfinge

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
woodydog said:
InkDawg - see you should have purchased a 1992 Bronco - mine came all equiped for a coil d60 & sterling - they must have stopped that option in 1995 - I am just swaping out a few bolts and such to finish off some of the factory weak points - just about done......:goodfinge
Lol...yeah I sure wish I would of done my research and found one already ready for it...sure would of been easier then figuring out how to connect a drive shaft up to a D60 on a 95....:histerica

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i didnt really mean for it to sound like that Inkdawg. but i should know better

SORRY IF I INSULTED YOU INKDAWG OR ANY OTHERS, SHUFFLEING THAT AXLE AROUND MYSELF WILL BE HEAVY SO I JUST THOUGHT MAYBE SOMEONE COULD MAKE MY LIFE EASIER

WOW REAL FRIENDLY PPL HERE

thanks Shadow

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,022 Posts
shadofax is on the money here. We need more info; but most likely, youre just gonna have to break down and get the driveshaft cut. In which case, i would recommend upgrading to a larger, 1350 series ujoint instead of the stock stuff.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This really is a goofy thread.
Install the axle, where it sits where YOU want it in your wheelwell. When your finished, measure the distance between the pinion and the driveshaft, and get a longer OR shorter driveshaft based on that. Depending on lift (which any lift kit builder should know) the length of the driveshaft changes.
Wordings everything here. YOU'RE asking for help. The guys that answer are here because they enjoy helping others out and because its better than a nagging wife. Play nicely.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bigtime said:
well i didnt really mean for it to sound like that Inkdawg. but i should know better

SORRY IF I INSULTED YOU INKDAWG OR ANY OTHERS, SHUFFLEING THAT AXLE AROUND MYSELF WILL BE HEAVY SO I JUST THOUGHT MAYBE SOMEONE COULD MAKE MY LIFE EASIER

WOW REAL FRIENDLY PPL HERE

thanks Shadow

Hey,,, do not take it personal - we are just having a little fun with ya ... ok ok sometimes our since of humor is a bit dry ... once you nail down your important questions we will help answer them .. oh, we, at least me, are not very sensitive, at least that's what I have been told so do not worry we do not feel insulted.
have fun with your build ....:beer

G

·
IMO, The driveshaft length is the last issue you will have, not the first.

When its mounted and finished, then measure and hand it over to a driveshaft shop for a day.

:beer

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok guys thank you, i guess i'll just have to get my wallet out. i hed already started mounting my axle on leafs with the shackle in the front. If i need to get my ds worked maybe ill rethink that situation, i was only being so tight because i was quoted $700 for an extended travel shaft :O

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
I used my stock shaft w leafs. It doesn't have much compression available, IIRC 1.5", but the axle just doesn't swing back much throughout it's travel, mostly due to my near-flat leafs. I think I determined the shaft only shortens by 3/4" at full stuff.

If you're putting the shackle up front you're even less likely to have issues - axle compresses and moves forward, but you already knew that since you can build everything and ride everything (yikes)

·
Registered
528 Posts
This probablily wont help at all. BUT the drive shaft on my 1979 Bronco, 4" lift, dana 44, 4spd, np205 measures 26 1/4" center to center. On my 1978 F250, no lift, dana 60, 4spd, np205, measures 24 1/4" center to center.

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Once I had my sas complete I took measurements with the front end lifted off the ground...sitting flat on all 4 wheels and with the front compressed as much as possible...then took these measurements and my drive shaft over to a driveshaft shop and had them shorten my drive shaft....all measurements were from center of u-joint to center of u-joint.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys axle is hung, put shackels in the front. ds should be ok, just installing all new brakes etc etc and doing rear shackle flip this weekend. ill post a pic later, this really didnt take half as long as i thought. Could have been almost all done but i forgot to order new wheel studs :/... i was inspired by larston's photos

thank you

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bigtime said:
have everything together now...finally. so here is my question, how far forward do i have to move the front axle forward to be able to use my orignal d/s?
Much of it has to do with the amount of lift you have. I lucked out with mine and the driveshaft was right on. Most of the time though, you need to replace that worn out shaft anyway, so as some of the other guys have said, get the axle placed where you want it, thenworrry about getting a driveshaft built.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts