Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is everyone mounting the ARB air compressor?

Any Pic's ?

Almost there ...... one part at a time...

thanks
woodydog
:beer

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
york. bronco air location. other people i've seen put them in the rear seat foot area. someone else cut up the rear side plastics and mounted the compressor there. i'm thinking if you took out the rear speakers you could fit the compressor oon the tub wall there. maybe without messing with the plastic sides.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I mounted mine right in front of the blower motor. Clearly the stock jack is worthless for a truck lifted like ours, so I removed the jack holder from the wall of the engine bay and fabbed an L- bracket for the ARB compressor to go back in it's spot. It bolts in place on the wall using two of the jack brackets bolts. This is actually the second bracket that I built for this same location, because the original didn't drop the compressor quite low enough and the hood hinge was going to hit it. Make sure you check your clearance to that hinge.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Mine is right on top of the motor:

But I converted it to act as an OBA compressor too. :toothless

I'd have to say that the right fender as Dave did would be the best, as that is where I had room to mount my Rancho compressor. The rear cargo area also works, if you like the noise. Just don't mount it under the truck.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Just as a side note, I've got a York under the hood as well, but I really didn't want to use it for the ARB's for several reasons. One is that the air that it bangs is far from what I would consider to be clean air. It always has a bunch of water in it due to our humidity down here, and I'm not running a moisture separator. Two, as much as I hate to admit it, I've lost the York several times out on the trail for different reasons. One time the pressure switch contacts burnt up, twice I've had a fitting break on the outlet of the compressor, and yet another time the belt was so loose on it that I couldn't get it to make more than 60 pounds or so without the belt squealing. Having said all that, I still love my York, because there is no way any electric compressor is going to be able to fill tires and run an impact wrench like the York does. I just though that when it came time to install ARB's that they needed a cleaner and more reliable source of air. Also, another nice thing about having two independent OBA systems is that if one of them happens to crap out I can cross connect the two if needed and still fill tires with the electric compressor or run my ARB's off of the York.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
also, dave is missing a few emissions components from that area of the fender as well. Not sure they would interfere, but some people might find it a little tighter than dave did.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the comments -

So far I am going with Dave's fender location - it is also very close to the batteries

I have been reading up on the batteries - a few searches - and from what I have found I believe I will go with two red tops - a 165 alternator - it seemed like noone really supported going over the G3 165 - I will need to power the ARB air compressor, some lights (not yet purchased) and the winch (a 16.5 warn) - I may add a stero but nothing exotic.

Thanks again any comments welcome - I can not believe I am soooo close to being done...

woodydog
:drinkbud

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
.....I've got a York under the hood as well, but I really didn't want to use it for the ARB's for several reasons. One is that the air that it bangs is far from what I would consider to be clean air. It always has a bunch of water in it due to our humidity down here, and I'm not running a moisture separator.
Good point. I was worried about that too, so I put an inline water separator right before the solenoids. Five years later and I have yet to find any water or debrit in it.

Two, as much as I hate to admit it, I've lost the York several times out on the trail for different reasons.
Another good point. When I designed my system, I took this into account also, so I put in a ball valve before the solenoids so I can stop the air feed to them, and I put in a schader valve there so I can put air in the small portion that feeds the lockers. This way, if I loose a compressor or the whole air system, I can isolate the lockers and give them air from another compressor, or even my own tire if need be. Overkill, yes. Here is a picture to clarify my ramblings:

.....I will need to power the ARB air compressor, some lights (not yet purchased) and the winch (a 16.5 warn) - I may add a stero but nothing exotic.
Dual batteries will cover running that. I've been running have a stock 65 amp alternator and dual batt's for about 8 years now and all works just fine (lots of lights, stereo, heater blaring, wipers, winch etc). Although, nothing beats putting in a hi amp alternator. :thumbup

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
thanks for the comments -

So far I am going with Dave's fender location - it is also very close to the batteries
Good choice. I was there with Dave when he was contemplating which location to put it, and I think this was the best option to go with.

I was second guessing the choice not to use the York air, but I think back to how many times my York system has crapped out from broken air lines, leaky fittings, seized up completely, etc...I think a completely independent system is the way to go. The York is the cats ass for massive amounts of airflow, but the ARB's dont need jack shit for volume, so the Yorks advantage goes out the window and the disadvantages rear their ugly head.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Another good point. When I designed my system, I took this into account also, so I put in a ball valve before the solenoids so I can stop the air feed to them, and I put in a schader valve there so I can put air in the small portion that feeds the lockers. This way, if I loose a compressor or the whole air system, I can isolate the lockers and give them air from another compressor, or even my own tire if need be.
The isolation valve and schrader valve is a very good idea. Did you consider adding in a small accumulator on the ARB side of the isolation valve just to give you a little more volume? Just a thought.

Also, for what it's worth I also considered running the ARB's off of a 9 oz. paintball tank with an air regulator on it. I bet you could run them a LONG time off of a little CO2 tank like that, and you could mount it inside the cab if it's crowded under the hood. And the best part would be that it would have absolutely no chance of having a compressor die on you. Heck, a 9 oz. tank is so small you could even pack a spare if you felt like it. And it would be cheaper than an ARB compressor.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
The isolation valve and schrader valve is a very good idea. Did you consider adding in a small accumulator on the ARB side of the isolation valve just to give you a little more volume? Just a thought.
The thought did run through my mind, but I have enough volume in the brass fittings and the filter to turn the lockers on and off a few times, so I figured that is good enough for "emergency use". :thumbup

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dave: yea someone on here did that. they liked it. not sure on the size but a regular paintball gun tank is what they used.

Yes - in the "Tech fourm" there is a thread from Fireguy - who did the paint ball tank thing...

ARB with Paintball tank ( 1 2)
Fireguy50

:beer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts