Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am working on getting everything for my SAS (My goal is to be complete 1/1/2009). At first I was going to go D44, but figured I am propbibly just going to end up upgrading later, so why not just spend the money and get the 60.

Costs are looking to be $1200ish for a complete axle drum to drum. Is this the going rate, or is my estimate of $600-800ish just way off???

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Youll be able to find a 60 front out a late 80's f350 for around $800-$1000 in Jersey.. Now as far as costs for it, it all depends on what your doing, new u-joints, steering, coils(or leaf), radius arms, gears, lockers, bearings races and seals. Can get quite expensive real fast.. Im going to post a final cost for my sas once im done..(ALMOST!)

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
somewhere around here is a thread with sas costs for individual builds. line item by line item. it might be a little dated, but did you search for it?

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen the tread with the costs of the complete process. I am wondering more just the axle itself.

I am kinda in a weird place for part out here on the eastern shore, and junk yards either don't answere the phone, or don't have one. I know prices vary depending on on the area, so I guess I should have specified that as well. An everyone who has one lives in colorada or Cali, or texas, so shipping almost eats away at any deals I can work.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I have seen the tread with the costs of the complete process. I am wondering more just the axle itself.

I am kinda in a weird place for part out here on the eastern shore, and junk yards either don't answere the phone, or don't have one. I know prices vary depending on on the area, so I guess I should have specified that as well. An everyone who has one lives in colorada or Cali, or texas, so shipping almost eats away at any deals I can work.
yea the junkyards around me have the axle sold before they get the truck to the yard... you just gotta find someone around here whose got one.. I got mine from SuperJunk.. Have you tried craigslist.com yet?

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
you may have to buy a whole wreck to get one thats how I got mine. I trade a guy a set of 15" subwoofers for a whole bronco. the Axle at Pick and pull out here is selling for 150$

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you may have to buy a whole wreck to get one thats how I got mine. I trade a guy a set of 15" subwoofers for a whole bronco. the Axle at Pick and pull out here is selling for 150$
Is that a whole D60 you are getting for $150???? if so I mihgt need to pay you to pull one and ship it. cut you a good deal for you time....

I have devoured Craigslist daily for about a month now (Since I started saving for this, up to about $800 now in my new special savings account). I check 5 different area's for anything, and have my own posts saying I am looking for one.

I wouldn't mind buying a whole truck and parting it out, but would preffer to not have to....

just thought I wold see if this was terribly out of line.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
You didn't say what you want to do with the axle. For a completely stock axle, fully rebuilt, and a set of gears, plan on $2000 if you do most of the work yourself. You can easily wrap up $3000 to $5000 in a front D60 depending on how far you go with it. A full rebuild, gears, locker, full 35 spline conversion, alloy axles, CTM's, Reid Racing knuckles, high steer, etc all gets expensive fast.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
You look in the For Sale sections at all? Usually OX, and there was someone else have D60's (KP) for sale, for under a grand.

I think OX had the housing alone for like 350 bucks or something, I may be off though.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You didn't say what you want to do with the axle. For a completely stock axle, fully rebuilt, and a set of gears, plan on $2000 if you do most of the work yourself. You can easily wrap up $3000 to $5000 in a front D60 depending on how far you go with it. A full rebuild, gears, locker, full 35 spline conversion, alloy axles, CTM's, Reid Racing knuckles, high steer, etc all gets expensive fast.
I am looking for mostly stock (Other then gears). I will be running 38's and from what I can gather should be fine even with pretty decent wheeling. I think I am going to leave the front unlocked for right now as ARB's are a little cost inhibitive, and everything I have read on front lockers says it makes streeting a bitch.

You look in the For Sale sections at all? Usually OX, and there was someone else have D60's (KP) for sale, for under a grand.

I think OX had the housing alone for like 350 bucks or something, I may be off though.
I am hoping to find something a little closer as Ox it like 4 hours and $150 in gas away from me. Plus just the driving would eat up a whole day off (Something I don't get many of at the moment). Hoping for inside 2 hours, but apparently no one with 4x4 lives anywhere near me:banghead......

I was mainly just looking for a rough idea of what I can expect to find, but if a good deal comes along I would like to be able to jump on it with confidence.:beer

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/564084330.html
Check out this listing. Doesn't say if it's passenger or driver side pumpkin, but it may be of interest to you...
It talks about dodge suspension work, so I am guessing Passanger drop. I saw that earlier today, left a message, but haven't heard anything yet. I am not sure I could scrap together another 1200 in time to grab it. I am afraid I am going to have to pass on that one. But I do appreciate the help greatly.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Total cost D60 I'd say $3k at the least.
That's total B.S., my D60 build isn't going to cast a dime over $2975.;)

Seriously, it ain't cheap. From what I can see here you're not being reasonable in your expectations. Let me just summarize what I've gotten out of your posts in this thread; you looked outside on your front lawn and didn't see one laying there. You don't have any local junk yards that will work with you. You're not plugged into the local four wheeling community to know someone who has one they're willing to part with. You don't want to pay shipping. You don't want to drive to go get one. So far your next door neighbor hasn't called and asked you to haul a D60 off to the dump for him, so where does that leave you? It leaves you with a TTB in the front of your truck, and until you get a little more realistic in your expectations it's going to stay there.

I see D60's for sale very reasonably all the time up in the Northeast, and by reasonable I mean the $600 range, but you're definitely limiting yourself way too much in your search. You've got to remember that by looking for a Ford D60 your pretty much trying to find the most sought after axle in four wheeling. Conventional wisdom says that getting one in rebuildable condition is generally going to set you back a grand. People often get them cheaper than that, but it's the exception rather than the rule. The bottom line is if your budget is that tight, you can't afford a D60 build. Either settle for a D44, or keep waiting for angels to drop one off in your back yard.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts

You are in kinda a tough place if I remember where Salisbury is.....isn't that on the way to OC ?

If you're lucky you might find something out there, but you very well may need to drive. I'd drive some distance to pick up a 60 vs. shipping one.

And unless it's been rebuilt, expect to pay about a grand for a complete one (balljoint a little less, king pin a little more). Then expect it to likely need lots of cleaning if it's east coast as it will be rusty. Then expect to shell out a fair amount to put gears in it, new bearings, races, seals, Ujoints,perhaps new KP/Balljoints, hopefully spindles/hubs will be ok, cuz ALL these parts cost just about 2x's what the equivalent D44 parts will cost.

I think Larston was pretty accurate in that I can see a stockish build being about $2k, and then you can come back later and put the ARB in, at which point you're closing in on 3K and this does not include any shafts upgrade (though if you stick with 38's you likely don't need that).

If you find one within a coupple hundred miles of you though, you had better do the deal pronto and then go pick up your junk. 60's don't sit around long, you snooze you lose (I lost out on a full, wrecked, F350 that had D60 KP and 10.25, and the rest of the truck for $850, just could not afford that at the time). Would have had to drive from Northern Oregon to Southern Oregon (maybe 4hrs or so) to get it..:cry

·
Registered
170 Posts
Whoa you are in maryland?

Yikes its 450 miles one way to my house from where you are.

You really can't find 1 closer? thats almost 300 in gas:cry

There has to be something closer than that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts