Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

Well, there has been a flurry of SAS writeups lately, so I was not planning to do another. All the details are still fresh in what is left of my limited cranial capacity, so if anyone has questions about a D44/D60 8 lug swap into a '95, let me know. You can also view many pics, courtesy of all the help I had, viewable on the Tim Craze Supermotors library (now boasting over 3800 pics) under the SAS TheJuice subcat.

http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=1725&s=26479#content

What I mainly wanted to do is say thanks. :thumbup :beer :clap

To Tim (aka Crazed and Crazed at work). As usual, you are always great to work with, and great at suggesting a different approach, or a better way of tackling things. You know yer shit, and it sure helps out a ton in making sure it gets done right.

Todd, (aka TNT Bronco). Todd is the slave driver. Just like on the trails, he prefers to do, not to talk. After completing each piece, todd would let everyone BS about it for about 3 minutes, then it was on to the next step. I've never seen anyone drill so many holes as fast as he.

Thanks to you both for use of the compressor. Anyone doing SAS...with a compressor (this was the main tool besides multiple grinders) you can crank out a pre-planned TTB out/SAS in over a single day.

Nick, (aka Nick Myron). Nicks newer to the FSB community, and has a ton o interest and is preparing for his own SAS later in the year. Nick was the man in misc. tools, and can grind out rivets faster than anyone I've seen. I could manage 1 rivet for every 3 of his (my hands were also dead at 1 rivet). Nick was also my bud in assisting with the E4OD new crossmember a week earlier so we did not need to tackle that during the SAS install. Nick also helped me with the rear 60 install.

Kevin R. Not sure Kev gets on here much, but if you do Kev, thanks for the help! As the lube man, you were also very instrumental. :shocked :goodfinge :thumbup FYI, you need to contact me ASAP, or Todd is gonna snag the D50 slipshaft.

EDIT: I almost forgot. I've asked many questions relative to front D44, cage arms, tranny x member, and so many FSBers here have assisted in providing their viewpoint/experience, pics, etc. that have been incorporated into this install. So thanks to all of you out there! You made all the work so much faster and easier. :beer :rockon FSB ROCKS

A few pics, and I will say, it looks awesome at this point. I've driven it briefly, I have a small drivers side brake leak, but was surprised. I can't comment on ride yet (have not even gone a mile), my bumpsteer is so bad. This was my doing. I have heard and read so much about proper angles with trackbar and draglink, and that is likely my issue, as you will see in one of the pics below. I just had to see if having the steering very high and very horizontal would affect what one could get away with as far as angularity between draglink and trackbar. It seems not. Anyway, pics, and thanks again guys!

As I always said, I will not flip off the wet noodle, but never said someone else couldn't do it:

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was fun.

I forgot to mention, now that I've done a little cleanup, I seem to have acquired a Ford Wristwatch, and blue tie down. Blue tie down Todd's? Watch sound familiar?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
Nice work, looks really good.

Um...are those extended arms on that TTB?

B

·
0 Posts
Congrats!...........In a fawkin' weekend???????????? What would you charge to organize my next project?

Sell them fine long ole TTB RA's!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arms are Rancho Extended, but someone local already has dibs on the whole front kit, with several backups lurking as well.

Actually Blown, all the real work occured on Saturday only. Friday I prepped misc. final items (and all welding work was already done). Saturday around 9-10am, after we struggled for an hour with the pitman arm right out the gate everything blasted along after that. I've always had bad luck with P arms. This one broke several tools, including the P arm puller (luckily it broke the puller and came free). I planned that as I felt that was the potential show-stopper/or time consuming impediment. TTB tim/todd knocked out in about an hour flat. upper coil mounts about 90 minutes. took a break to go swap tires over to the 8 lugs, lunch, and replacent tools at sears for broken ones. put new upper coil mounts in, measured up, put axle under, and started drilling/bolting like crazy. done with all that about 9:30ish that night.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Crazed said:
I had alot of fun this weekend and learned alot. Without all your preperations, we would have never been able to do this in a weekend.

(You are correct about the slipshaft.)
:stupid

I had a great time....Mark, Tim, Todd and Kevin are all great guys and I learned a ton this weekend!

But like Tim said, all your prep work and measurments that were done prior to the install is what made everything go so well. :beer

Nick~

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blown said:
Is that a drop pitman? Go back to stock? Could it be that easy?
No, stock pitman already. Plug is right. about 3* draglink (almost flat), 10* trackbar even with it flipped. I just had to see for myself. Sure enough, this difference creates major bumpsteer (not driveable at any speed above 30-40 MPH I would think). It can of course be fixed fairly easy. some combo of raise axle mount side some, maybe lower frame side a pinch, maybe also change trackbar as well, since I've got to be careful with clearance on xmember (front is already fully cut off) and top o diff.

What's cool though...I gotta take a pic, you can be kinda in front of the truck and looking down/under, and there is no steering visible. It's like "where's the steering?" it's that high out of the way.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,951 Posts
One day...i didn't realize that...very impressive :thumbup

·
Registered
104 Posts
I thought I was very helpful. I drank your beer, I ground down 1 rivet (note to all that are intending to grind down anything.......wear long pants and shoes), I was instrumental in the moving of the axle and positioning. I provided the humor (aka: fat jokes and "go get the thingy over there." Ok, your right, I did not do that much but I did learn alot, especially from the likes of Mark, Tim and Todd. Hey Tim and Todd, when are you coming over to my house to install my lift? Todd, there could be a D-50 slip shaft for you. Mark, I was on the way to your house on Sunday when I had catastrophic brake failure on I-205, truck is still stuck on the freeway. I call you tonight on my way home from work. Anyways, I had fun even though the Ms. did not care for me being gone...........Oh yeah, Hunter enjoyed me being there.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Dustin.

Badass, trust me, you don't need to tell me. I had a jeep with bumpsteer after lift, and it was nothing like this. I just had to try this, but it obviously won't work on trackbar setup. It's especially bad since the coils are sooooo flexy. I have the cage 14" gas shocks up front, but need quads.

Kev, just havin' some fun. Sorry to hear the sub be broke. You are right though, my dog loves your feet. Now I've been finding myself calling him "humpin' hunter" ever since you and todd were over. Can't get over the visuals, 12 hours of watching a 90 lb german shephard get at it hips and all every time you guys got under the truck or were down at his height. :hump

Oh, and Todd, I promise I won't divulge what happened with you and the spearing incident with the upper track bar mount.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oh, and Todd, I promise I won't divulge what happened with you and the spearing incident with the upper track bar mount.
Yeah that still hurts.

Hey Tim and Todd, when are you coming over to my house to install my lift? Todd, there could be a D-50 slip shaft for you.
I think i have done enough suspension work for now. Going to work on my front end this weekend.

By the way if you dont want the slipshaft let me know so i can get it installed before B-fest.

Had a great time learned alot, still not sure why it takes some people so long to do this project. With good planning (Mark), a person who thinks outside the box (Tim), a slave driver to keep the ball rolling(Me), and a very good young and enthusiastic knowledgable helper(Nick) it went in with minimal hassles.

Cant wait to see flex.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts