Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am staring with a '95 XL F-150 reglar cab short bed. with the TTB D44 :banghead and 8.8 out back. its ARB locked front and rear, with a 6" superlift, 9000xi winch, 35" BFG Muds, 4.56 gears and dual battery setup.

here she is......

The plan is a solid axle swap with enough lift to continue running the 35's (80% tread dont wanna spend more on tires). so i am starting the parts search. what i have/need so far is.

Axle stuff
$150----complete 78 or 79 D44 coil buckets (upper and lower) axle shafts, gears, and radius arms. unknown if included are the knuckels, rotors, calipers, hubs...

Steering stuff (still deciding on if i wanna run Heims or TRE's or a combo of the two)
$24.79 (each)--x2--1 ton TRE (RH) (NAPA ES2026R)
$23.26 (each)--x2--1 ton TRE (LH) (NAPA ES2027L)
--x1--TRE 7/8"-18 Right Hand
--x1--TRE 7/8"-18 Left Hand
--x1--Jam Nut- 7/8"-18 RH
--x1--Jam Nut- 7/8"-18 LH
total for TRE Drag link and Tierod $196.10

Stll need to find:
maybe knuckles
coils
radius arms
and i just need to draw up some stuff for radius arm mounts and figure out the shock mounting stuff.

questions that have come up so far. (i am searching for my own answers as well)
Best coils to use? going with the 78/79 coils company unknown
what swaps from the TTB D44 to the coil sprung D44? arb and gears.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
If you're going to run it on the street you should use TRE's instead of heims for the tie rod and drag link. Also, your prices look high. Look at this kit from Ballistic Fab . $229 for the 1/4" wall DOM, all four TRE's, the tube inserts and the jam nuts. Even with shipping it still comes out cheaper. I just ordered all of the stuff to fab my tie rod, drag link and trac bar from them last week.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like i said i get a huge discount working for poison spyder. if i remember correctly for everything i need to make up a drag link and a tierod with Heims would only be 170 or near there. i am going to get exact prices tomorrow and edit. i needed a place to write down my thoughts and plans for the build. with how much i search her i figured here was best.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
$170 for the whole tie rod and drag link would be a great price, but you've got to understand that all we have to work with is what you post here. We didn't come up with the $302.80 figure you posted, you did. Asking what people think about your plan is premature if you're not going to bother to do your research first.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,784 Posts
I think the Cage coils is where it is at, along with their radius arms. I think you would want their 4" coils to give you the right amount of lift to keep your 35's. You can't use the ttb coils or radius arms because the coils have different lower mounts, and the radius arms on the solid axle use c-bushings.

I agree with Dave, TRE's would be the way to go if you drive this thing more than on the rocks.

Lastly, your gears and ARB should be able to switch over to the solid 44.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got my stuff from ballistic fab. and I would go with tre's over the heim joints the heim joints if you use them off road wear out faster then the tre's. This is mine so far with the tre's

sorry ben to busy to get any thing done on it lately

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$170 for the whole tie rod and drag link would be a great price, but you've got to understand that all we have to work with is what you post here. We didn't come up with the $302.80 figure you posted, you did. Asking what people think about your plan is premature if you're not going to bother to do your research first.
True... the question for what you think is premature. However i am and have reasearched. Alot of the things i am trying to figure out i have found answers to but just dont understand what the heck people are trying to say. like the coils....some one on here did use their TTB coils and said they cut them. thus i am trying to figure out what they did and if its worth it. I did state that i get the discount and that the numbers were not exact. BUt i dont wanna tick no one off so tonight i will post exact prices of what i will spend. but links to awsome parts are always welcome.

second note looks like its TRE's. thanks guys (edit in process)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
True... the question for what you think is premature. However i am and have reasearched. Alot of the things i am trying to figure out i have found answers to but just dont understand what the heck people are trying to say. like the coils....some one on here did use their TTB coils and said they cut them. thus i am trying to figure out what they did and if its worth it. I did state that i get the discount and that the numbers were not exact. BUt i dont wanna tick no one off so tonight i will post exact prices of what i will spend. but links to awsome parts are always welcome.

second note looks like its TRE's. thanks guys (edit in process)
They probably cut the lower pig tail off the TTB coil and then used a standard 78-79 lower retainer (my guess).

I would not reuse TTB coils unless you don't care about flex (you don't get nearly as much as a good 78-79 spring). Springs are fairly cheap, I won't tell you to get Cage or Deaver/Superflex unless you're also going to package that with a nice, long, heimed RA. One without da udder makes little sense. If you want flex you also will need to figure in cost of extended brake lines.

My ARB was from my TTB. you can use your gears too. I like having stock type TRE's for steering.

knuckles out consists of knuckle, spindle, hub (and bearings/seals for these), rotor and caliper.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have heard some say knuckles out will swap and i have said that everything listed above minus the knuckles will swap. which is it?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
i have heard some say knuckles out will swap and i have said that everything listed above minus the knuckles will swap. which is it?
someone else will have to chime in on that. my knuckles out consists of all chevy, 8 lug.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighcowboy

Knuckles are different and will not swap.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
i did research and found the answer.
:bs

Posting a buttload of questions in the "Newbie" thread is not research. You wouldn't have needed to post if you had researched.

man it would be nice if people would read all the posts and then post themselves
Take your own advice then. There are aboot a bajillion posts you could have read if you had "researched".

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am researching for the answers to the questions i have posted. Just because i am writing them down dont mean i have given up finding my own answers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
but to add construction to the thread not arguing......

one ton ball joint prices i have found at differant stores. (all with the part numbers ES2026R or ES2027L) if i remember corectly all have a life time warranty.

Autozone -$22.99 (R)
-$39.99 (L)

Advanced Auto-$27.48 (R)
-$38.88 (L)

NAPA -$24.79 (R)
-$23.26 (L)

Checker -$29.99 (R)
-$39.99 (L)

So TRE are going to be the way i go. these all should be 7/8"-18 Thread TRE.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts