Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured out how to post pics...Ive got alot of good info from here so I thought I'd post some of my SAS. I still lack a few things like steering...but after sitting on blocks since late September its nice to have an axle under the truck. Alot of its not pretty looking but I think it's gonna be pretty bashable...for a D44 anyways

:goodfinge Bye bye TTB

This is the rear hanger mocked up. My rails were twisted pretty bad from the stupid RA drop brackets..these were a pain to get lined up right and get it boxed...They're bolted and welded up good now, shouldn't go anywhere

We just laid a big peice of 3/8s plate in the rails and braced it up. Made measurements out for a MileMarker 12000 winch that will come later. This serves as the mounting point for the front hangers as well

We made the front hangers from a peice of channel that WAS an extra crossmember back in the TTB days. The welding on this stuff was done by my Dad, he does it for a living so I got someone that was good at it to do that part.

Here it is as it sits now. Gotta put my new brake lines on, do the steering and shocks and it should be ready to go...I lost about 2" of lift from my 6 I had..i think i will like that tho...The truck felt kinda tipsy before, 3" body lift dont help it none.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'd run a extra piece of say 2x2 square tube between the front framerails just for extra beef. It would sit behind the winch so it shouldn't interfere with the mounting.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea....I've gotta work on my computer skills folks, I'll have to figure out the whole image editing thing next I guess...

I'm probably goin to stick peice like that for an extra cross member..Not sure how to clear the radiator support tho...My dad also built a huge bumper (i didn't really want it the way he made it, but I was at school and he is between jobs and needed somethin to do, so just made it his way, regardless of who's truck it is) and its mounts are gonna go back far enough on the frame rails that I believe it will help some with the rigidness of it..I hope so anyways. As for the shackles, I wanted them in the rear, but the way i have it set up now it would throw my caster and pinion angles off, havin em up front was the simplest way to get what I wanted and needed all in one, I don't think I'll have much trouble with them up front.

The dog was probably hiding from his shadow..a lab thats scared of water and gun-shy...worthless

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coil bucket rivets

Ok the SAS is ALMOST done, I'm slow as frozen molasses or I would have already been wheelin it...I don't know if its lazyness or if I really have that busy of a life, probably lazyness...But anyhoo, all I really lack is shocks and re-doing the drag link and the front will be done..

I know im going to cut off the factory shock mounts on the axle(79 F250 D44) and make make some new lower mounts to go on the axle, but I'm not sure about the top mounts. I wanted to cut the coil towers off the frame and use the stock 79 shock mounts, but it looks like some of the tower's rivets are also running through the engine crossmember...Is that so or just my imagination? Yea I know I could just run bolts back through the holes, but I've had a pissy time with the front of the frame with this truck(crossmember separated from the frame next the steering box, twice :banghead ) and I don't wanna piss it off anymore...I thought about just using the towers for my upper mount, fabbing a plate in the top of it with the right size hole for the shock stud..

I dunno what to do here so any advice/opinions or showin me how u did yours would be great. Thanks and I'll post some pics of the swap soon, but not now, the race is on.

·
Registered
236 Posts
seemoremud said:
I finally figured out how to post pics...Ive got alot of good info from here so I thought I'd post some of my SAS.
Can you post a similar pic but out further? We're looking at using some 77 Highboy springs for the same, but I'd like to see the relationship to the frame better. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Maybe these will help some, if not let me know I'll go take some more and post them

The axle is from a '79 250 so it's the narrower perch width than the later D60s. I think it was 32 1/2", not exactly sure, been a while since I've had it in the truck and don't have my paper where I wrote everything down at the computer. The later model axles had 36" perch width I believe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts