Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5628 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a "newbie" type of question?
Do you want a fast response without looking for the answer?
Are you too lazy to search?
Have you searched and can't find what you are looking for?

Do you fear that asking a question may result in flaming, insults or otherwise deragotory or useless responses?

Then this thread is FOR YOU. Ask away, any and all SAS related questions. THERE IS NO FLAMING ALLOWED IN THIS THREAD.

Now, i cant promise that anyone will answer your questions, but I can promise that you wont get anything but a completely or at least semi-appropriate answer. Im sure that there are a few people here that will answer any and all questions.

So, this thead is for you, Oh seekers of knowledge. Ask away!!!!!!!:popc1:

·
BurnedB's competition.
2,040 Posts
When welding new spring hangers on an axle, (Leaf spring SAS) what angle should you have the pinion at? Lets say you're shooting for 6" of lift.

·
"Clever User Title Here"
2,156 Posts
And here's one that I have been wondering about for awhile...

According to Dustin's sticky (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352) this is what he spent for his steering/tracbar setup:

110.00 Chebby tie rod and drag link ends (2 & 2)
10.00 Jam nuts for Chebby tie rod ends (2)
100.00 D.O.M. tube for tie rod and drag link
50.00 D.O.M. tube for track bar and brace
180.00 Heim joints for track bar and brace (4)
·7/8" 18 pitch right hand tap ($78.00)
·7/8" 18 pitch left hand tap ($148.00)
-------------------------------------------------
$450 for parts and tubing alone
$678 including taps

Stonecrusher (http://stonecrusher.classicbroncos.com/index.html)lists their steering setup for $305 and TracBar setup for $140. This is with 1-1/4" .2815" wall DOM.

This totals only $445 for a complete setup. Maybe Dustin used bigger tubing, but still, this seems like a no brainer...am I missing something?

·
ate lug
8,477 Posts
When welding new spring hangers on an axle, (Leaf spring SAS) what angle should you have the pinion at? Lets say you're shooting for 6" of lift.
Shouldn't you focus on caster, and go from there?
Well, for starters, you cant change them. The perch on the driver side is cast into the diff, so youre stuck with Ford's angles. You could shim the springs like you would do for the rear axle to correct for pinion angle, but i dont recommend it since like Ralphenstein suggests caster angle is MUCH more important than pinion angle. Set the caster to spec & whatever the pinion angle ends up is what its gonna be. For a 6" lift the stock angles will be fine.

·
ate lug
8,477 Posts

This totals only $445 for a complete setup. Maybe Dustin used bigger tubing, but still, this seems like a no brainer...am I missing something?
There two things. Their kit uses heims and Dustin (amongst many others) used the larger chevy TREs. This requires the additional purchase of RH & LH taps for the rod ends, as well as a reamer to enlargen the hole in the knuckle (The Stonecrusher kit requires a straight hole drilled through the knuckle instead of a tapered one). So, the difference is what do you want to run, TREs or Heims, and do you want to own the tools required to make the steering arms or not? I personally also went the chevy TRE route, and also bought the taps/reamer so ill have them for future use. You also have to take into consideration that a company buying large quantities will get steel cheaper than an individual person, so that will reflect in the total cost of their kit as well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
dumb question but its too cold out to go look... are the locking hubs the same on a 79 bronco d44 and an 83 ttb? (they are manual not auto locks) I have a couple of sets of ttb ones and the donor axle for my sas had them pulled so I cant look at them to compare

·
Registered
783 Posts
dumb question but its too cold out to go look... are the locking hubs the same on a 79 bronco d44 and an 83 ttb? (they are manual not auto locks) I have a couple of sets of ttb ones and the donor axle for my sas had them pulled so I cant look at them to compare
The manual hubs are the same yes.

·
Registered
981 Posts

According to Dustin's sticky (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352) this is what he spent for his steering/tracbar setup:

110.00 Chebby tie rod and drag link ends (2 & 2)
10.00 Jam nuts for Chebby tie rod ends (2)
100.00 D.O.M. tube for tie rod and drag link
50.00 D.O.M. tube for track bar and brace
180.00 Heim joints for track bar and brace (4)
·7/8" 18 pitch right hand tap ($78.00)
·7/8" 18 pitch left hand tap ($148.00)
-------------------------------------------------
$450 for parts and tubing alone
$678 including taps

Stonecrusher (http://stonecrusher.classicbroncos.com/index.html)lists their steering setup for $305 and TracBar setup for $140. This is with 1-1/4" .2815" wall DOM.

You could go this route with Poison spiders

http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php

tubing,adapters,and jam nuts cost about $123 for steering.

or you could go with these:

http://www.wfoconcepts.com/Steering/SteeringParts/Customtie.html

You just have to know the measurements to order from WFO.

·
"Clever User Title Here"
2,156 Posts
You could go this route with Poison spiders

http://www.spydercustoms.com/index2.php

tubing,adapters,and jam nuts cost about $123 for steering.
That doesn't include TRE's though, and that price is for just the tie rod, the drag link would be comparable, so their prices are comparable to Stonecrusher's in the end. Plus these guys use the weld in adapters...I am not sure how I feel about those...

I think that I am going to give the guy from Stonecrusher a call to see if he'll build a set with Chebby TRE's instead of heims. He mostly does Bronco work AFAIK.

Thanks fo the links!:drinkbud

·
Registered
981 Posts
That doesn't include TRE's though, and that price is for just the tie rod, the drag link would be comparable, so their prices are comparable to Stonecrusher's in the end. Plus these guys use the weld in adapters...I am not sure how I feel about those...

I think that I am going to give the guy from Stonecrusher a call to see if he'll build a set with Chebby TRE's instead of heims. He mostly does Bronco work AFAIK.

The $123 is for 4 adapters,four jam nuts, and two three foot runs of tubing(but you need four feet for the tie rod now that I think about it so the cost will be $133.

The stonecrusher set up is pretty good if you can use TRE's.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
My friend is looking into buying a bko. How much value would you put into truck that has already had a SAS? The truck in question is a '91 in decent shape with around 125k on the clock. It has a winch and a few other upgrades. The guy is asking $4,500.

Can you add the value of a solid axle to the asking price? We're going to take a look at the truck tonight.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My friend is looking into buying a bko. How much value would you put into truck that has already had a SAS? The truck in question is a '91 in decent shape with around 125k on the clock. It has a winch and a few other upgrades. The guy is asking $4,500.

Can you add the value of a solid axle to the asking price? We're going to take a look at the truck tonight.
In my opinion, If the SA is just stock with no lockers,better gears,better axles, etc it would not really raise the value of the truck. It might raise the interest since it is alittle more 4x4 capable, but it really depends on what is inside the axle and the surrounding suspension. If it has a locker, chromo shafts, cage arms, and beefy steering, then yes the sas did raise the value.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts

If he has not worked with chevy TRE's it's no biggy. you can give him the measurements and the L/R taps sizes you's need (7/8-18 IIRC) and he can just do the taps for you. You can then go buy the TRE yourself, locally for about $100. I'd use the TRE's hands down for any daily driver.

1 - 20 of 5628 Posts