Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

5621 - 5628 of 5628 Posts

·
ate lug
8,485 Posts
Just a quick question. I have a 1990 Bronco with the M5od and electric Tcase, I found a complete donor 1990 F350 with a ZF5, manual T-case and solid axle. How straightforward would swapping the front and rear axles be from the 350 to the bronco being the same year? Can I reuse the F350's original mounts rewelded to the Bronco frame. I can get the donor truck for $1500 but my bronco is my DD, if it's too large of a job I wont be able to swing it but I figured I'd ask since both trucks are 1990 and should have matching or very similar frames.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The F350 frame has a couple extra brackets on the frame horn to retain the shackle; its possible to cut them off and add them to the stock bronco frame horn. Ive heard of it being done, but havent seen anyone do it that way in many years.

The rear axle is a direct swap, no mods other than shortening driveshaft 1".

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are a number of factors involved here. But in general anywhere from 2-8 is where you likely want to be. Most likely you'll want to end up somewhere in the 4-6 area.
I installed a REDHEAD steering gear yesterday and today i got an alignment.
It showed my caster being + 4.9 drivers and + 4.8 pass, I have 4* c bushings installed and I'm still having issues with my steering returning to center after a turn.

Should I go ahead and install the 7* bushings to see if that helps?
Btw everything is new on the front end.

·
Super Moderator
14,531 Posts
I had trouble with my steering returning to center, was previously running 4 degree c-bushings and my caster was only 3.5 .

Added the 7 degree bushings, difference was night and day. That will put you close to 8 degrees which is pretty much ideal.

I installed a REDHEAD steering gear yesterday and today i got an alignment.
It showed my caster being + 4.9 drivers and + 4.8 pass, I have 4* c bushings installed and I'm still having issues with my steering returning to center after a turn.

Should I go ahead and install the 7* bushings to see if that helps?
Btw everything is new on the front end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had trouble with my steering returning to center, was previously running 4 degree c-bushings and my caster was only 3.5 .

Added the 7 degree bushings, difference was night and day. That will put you close to 8 degrees which is pretty much ideal.
Thanks for the reply.
Several months back I changed out the 4* to the 7* and it made a huge difference, I'm in the process of rebuilding my zf atm so as soon as i get it up and running I'm taking it back in for an alignment to see what the caster readings are now.

5621 - 5628 of 5628 Posts