Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My eyes are mush from leafing thru this forum for the last 4 days for hours on end.

Just a quick question.... do you think it would be plausible to procure an 86-97 F-350 with a blown motor (or other crippling injury that doesnt bring harm to the running gear) for really cheap?

I see parts trucks all the time, being sold for one reason or another, however i must admit i dont think ive seen any F350's much less those years stated.

I want to do the D60 swap, and assume if i had a fairly intact truck, i could rob all the parts off it, and scrap it when im done.:thumbup
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
PhL0aTeR said:
Just a quick question.... do you think it would be plausible to procure an 86-97 F-350 with a blown motor (or other crippling injury that doesnt bring harm to the running gear) for really cheap?

I see parts trucks all the time, being sold for one reason or another, however i must admit i dont think ive seen any F350's much less those years stated.
i know someone in the same state as you who has procured at least 3 trucks like that and gotten d60s out of them. yes, its possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Andy351 said:
i know someone in the same state as you who has procured at least 3 trucks like that and gotten d60s out of them. yes, its possible.
Hmmmmm who???? lol... I'd like to see if they can peel an eye or 2 for me.

woodydog said:
Check out this site for more info
Have you decided if you want a coil or leaf setup?

http://www.2bigbroncos.com/technical/d60/index.html

for a coil set up check this out - see the "solid axle swap" lower left
http://www.cageoffroad.com/home.html
Yep.... that first link is what turned my eyes to mush.... and i wanna go leaf..... partly because of a line in that webpage that says, "For a 80-91 Bronco, a leaf-sprung 86-97 axle can be hung in a weekend"
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,038 Posts
Andy351 said:
i know someone in the same state as you who has procured at least 3 trucks like that and gotten d60s out of them. yes, its possible.
yes, and he got some great stuff. Didn't exactly share where that was either. I would love to find that lot of old gas/oil company 1ton trucks and pluck one as well (If I lived closer, though I'll be in boulder again in late April) :drinkbud

But aside from KL, and some others from years past who got great deals, most folks these days who are selling are aware of the value of a D60 front/1Ton.

Cheap SAS 60, if you got the axle cheap that is one thing. Add up all your recondition costs after, K? Don't think you will find it cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
PhL0aTeR said:
Yep.... that first link is what turned my eyes to mush.... and i wanna go leaf..... partly because of a line in that webpage that says, "For a 80-91 Bronco, a leaf-sprung 86-97 axle can be hung in a weekend"
Is a leaf setup better than the coil spring or a coil over set-up? Or just plain easier?
 

·
Diesel Gynachologist
Joined
·
11,535 Posts
h8nlife said:
Is a leaf setup better than the coil spring or a coil over set-up? Or just plain easier?
whoa dont start that debate....:goodfinge

they both do well, all depends on what you want to do. coils take a little more fab and time spent on getting the right set up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,407 Posts
Sure its possible, you could have bought my cheap D44 for leaf, buy some leaf springs then build a bracket, and your pretty much done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm far from a burger flipper, and make enough money to have about 10 projects going at the same time (unfortunately none of em are finished... lol). I can afford up to 5g over the period of 6 months or so, but i dont want to spend that much, juss kinda feelin out how easy it would be to get my hands on that running gear for $500 or so.

I want the D60 for the 1 ton gear, otherwise i would be looking at a D44 instead. Its not that i want humungous tires, or that i would wheel it hardcore, but if i did, then i want to know that im not going to twist an axle. Basically i want the to-ugher stuff cuz i dont wanna put some 36" tires on it and get the bug to go larger, later.

As far as leafs, basically seems easier.... dunno which one is "better" i guess it all depends on your tastes, but the debate can be compared to a harley bashing thread, im sure.... lol

Anyway, back to cost, i plan on doing work to this rig over the course of a few months, so its not like im going to badumping whole paychecks on it to get it going right away. Some of you may remember my earlier post about the mechanic telling me it needed over a grand so far and he wasnt done looking. So right now its parked, and im accumulating the parts needed to do everythign myself, and i hope to have it driveable within a month, weather permitting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
Dustin said:
whoa dont start that debate....:goodfinge

they both do well, all depends on what you want to do. coils take a little more fab and time spent on getting the right set up.
LoL, wasn't trying to go and do a thing like that.....I just don't know much about either. Plenty of reading to do and no time to do it:banghead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Do you really need a 60? I have wheeled for years without running 1 ton axles. Have a buddy that wheeled for years with a dana 30, never broke a shaft (toasted a few ring and pinions), the first run he went on after switching to 60s he toasted the outer......


The point of my rambling is if a persons thinks it is industructable they most likely will change their driving style. Everything can be broken!
 

·
o[|||]o
Joined
·
11,146 Posts
I'm upping to 1 ton stuff so I DON'T have to change my driving style :brownbag
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
the words dana 60 and cheap are not synonomous, parts are a killer, leafs would decrease the costs some. i got my 60 for my old nine inch rear, and a hundred bucks, and basically what i got was shafts, housing, rotors, core calipers, and some bearing spares thats it, the king pins were toast, the gears were toast,and it had the shitty auto hubs that were screwed up as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rdnkjeeper said:
Do you really need a 60? I have wheeled for years without running 1 ton axles. Have a buddy that wheeled for years with a dana 30, never broke a shaft (toasted a few ring and pinions), the first run he went on after switching to 60s he toasted the outer......


The point of my rambling is if a persons thinks it is industructable they most likely will change their driving style. Everything can be broken!

Define "need". In all reality, i dont need this bronco..... i got 4 other vehicles that need my attention and arent daily drivers.... LOL

Anyway, the real reason i want the 1ton running gear is because i dont want to change it later. D44 swap plus a D60 swap 6 months later is probably alot more expensive than just the D60 swap, no matter how ya look at it. I mean, the labor is pretty much the same, its just that the parts are harder to find and more pricey right? I'm a firm beleiver in getting what u pay for, however i know my limits, and for the most part i stay well behind them.
 

·
green ones make me horny
Joined
·
11,154 Posts
when i was real close to getting my Solid axles. i was in the yard and the guy wanted 300 for the front and rear axles off of a 94 250, but someone bought them already. dont know what it was geared at, but that would have been the easiest way to do solid axle. basically just bolt everything on and hook it up. well a little more than that but you get the picture.

ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,471 Posts
If you can spend 5grand I'd say that's a pretty decent sized budget....I've spent about $2500 so far on my SAS(not including tires), but that amount is significantly less when I facture in all the parts that I sold off my truck in the meantime. Granted, I'm only running 1/2 ton axles, but you could probably do 1 tons front and rear for under $5000 without too much of a problem. Just know what you're looking for and search around. Be patient and you'll come across some deals.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top