Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of reading and it seems that a lot of these SAS projects take months and months to finish..

Is this because of all the custom jobs everyone is doing? My nieghbor but the kit front Broncograveyard.com and it only took us 1 day to do the swap..
<shrug>

Just kind of wondering why everyone elses takes forever..

I'll see if I can get pics to show people on here..

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
No if you have everything it can be done in a day or so...It took me a couple a days, I thought I had all my parts but still had to find a couple. But after doing it once it could be done in a day, if you have everything you need. And that is just installing the axle not putting in gears and rebuilding everything...that would add more time.

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
So many people have done the SAS here now, and have shared their knowledge, that it has extremly shortened the time it takes to finish it. The people that take months are those who start and don't have all their ducks in a row. Or they are the people trying something new.

Another thing is that many of these people are SAS'ing their toys, not their DD's. They can afford to have their rides down for a long time. I know if I was SAS'ing mine I would at least take a month to do it, casually working on it on my weekends, thinking things over and over, and being anal.

Just recently Shadowfax, TnTBronco, Crazed, and I think a few others, SAS'd Shadow's Bronco on a weekend I believe. And they did a really clean job of it too. Some skilled people with the right tools and direction can really knock things out.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Burl Swift said:
So many people have done the SAS here now, and have shared their knowledge, that it has extremly shortened the time it takes to finish it. The people that take months are those who start and don't have all their ducks in a row. Or they are the people trying something new.

Another thing is that many of these people are SAS'ing their toys, not their DD's. They can afford to have their rides down for a long time. I know if I was SAS'ing mine I would at least take a month to do it, casually working on it on my weekends, thinking things over and over, and being anal.

Just recently Shadowfax, TnTBronco, Crazed, and I think a few others, SAS'd Shadow's Bronco on a weekend I believe. And they did a really clean job of it too. Some skilled people with the right tools and direction can really knock things out.
Yep, if you go to the FOTM thread this month Spectre, you'll see a lot of pics of my buildup. It did take about 5 months to corral everything (began in Feb/05, final install was june '05), and set it all up from a planning perspective. The labor to do the SAS front was basically 1 day. Then again, you're not going to get my junk in a box....all the cool custom stuff...fabbing, mix/match, was most of the fun. More importantly, I think it's all designed well, runs perfectly, and looks like a factory 3/4Ton bronco :thumbup

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Months-long SAS projects are, as mentioned, attributed to people taking their time, or the Bko's status as their playtoy, or just because they're dumb and didn't go over EVERYTHING in the beginning.

I personally plan on doing the entire SAS including rear axle swap entirely on a weekend. Friday afternoon remove TTB and begin mockup, Saturday get everything hopefully bolted, welded, etc. Sunday will either be rear install if we haven't gotten it done on Sat, or will be testing to make sure everything is done right before I limp home with a half-ass alignment on my 31's. I'm not gonna drive on new 35's (or 37's if Jackhart convinces me to buy his 37's) with a horrible alignment and wearing them improperly). Hopefully get aligned Monday morning. The big thing is make sure you DO have a parts house open while you're swapping things, or else things could get ugly fast.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Ive had the stuff to do it I for one have to rip the axels off the 79 sitting in my garage, and 2 get another car if I plan on taking a few days to do it.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i did mine in a weekend with a lot of help. took me like 3 weeks to get all the parts and money together to afford it, but its really not rocket science. they practically fall in there.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Spectre said:
Is this because of all the custom jobs everyone is doing? My nieghbor but the kit front Broncograveyard.com and it only took us 1 day to do the swap..
<shrug>

Just kind of wondering why everyone elses takes forever..
LOL. Its because the broncograveyard kit is an inferior design and performance. Im sure most everyone here could bolt on a kit in a weekend, but that kit would never get me where I want to go (well, it might, but not perfomr like I want). You are right, its taking many people longer because of a few reasons. Some, as mentioned, arent in a hurry, some did most of the leg work for the others in figuring out how to do SAS's, some want the best performing SAS they can get, so every detail is critical.

theres lots of reasons why it may take those that dont spend a lot of money and buy a store bought lift kit a little longer, but we all know that its worth it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Did my sas in two days, I don't see what takes so long. Mine could of been done a little faster, but I had to wait a day for c bushings to come in. I had two '78 broncos to rob shit off of behind the shop, that saved alot of time.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
I spent about two months collecting parts and preping for the swap. The swap itself, drive in to drive out, was 16 hours straight. I then spent another evening or two finishing up some loose ends (paint, final alignment, etc.) The truck was never down other than the actual swap time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Mine has taken several months. Part of it was collecting parts and the other was the fact that I had to fab more parts on my Ranger than most of you all do for the FSBs. I also was only able to work on it one to two days a week, a couple hours at a time. It's almost done now, just have a few things to button up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts