Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the time has come to start working on my Bronco. I bought the truck back when there was still snow on the ground. Since then I have been massing parts to fix what most would consider scrapping.

Some of you may recall the thread I started before I bought the truck with the initial pictures and condition as it was when I bought it. If not, the link to the thread is below:

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166834

Not to go over everything in that thread, but as an overview, the truck is as follows:

1979 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400M with a few years on a rebuild and low miles. It has a Cam and aside from the distributor needing rebuilt (little low on power from the screwed up advance), it runs great. Trans is a T18 and transfer case is a NP205. Both were rebuilt at the time of the engine rebuild. Rear is a 9" and front is the Dana 44. It runs great, just a little low on power due to a crappy wore out distributor.

The goal with this build is to cut out all rust in the floors and replace as needed. Additionally, I will be replacing both front cab mounts. Once that is done, my grinder and I are going to hit the bottom of the truck working from the rear forward to remove the scale throughout the under-body of the tub and frame. Once again, patches and repairs will be made as necessary. To seal it all up I have two gallons of Magnet Paint Brand Chassis Saver paint in satin black. The inside of the tub is going to be cleaned up, primed with two part epoxy primer, and finished of with one of following two products from the bed side down in the rear and floors to underside of the dash in the front:

http://www.monstaliner.com/

or

http://www.alsliner.com/

I am open to opinions on these products. I am leaning toward the Monstaliner right now. It looks like it builds up a little better and finishes off with a little more texture. I don't want grit in the finish, which neither of these products have, although I understand it is an option on Al's.

Eventually, I will move to the body work in the quarters, doors, and tail gate areas, but for now, I just want to get it back to being a solid truck in good running condition. It is a good truck with a bunch of nice options for the year, but the snow and salt have definitely taken its toll.

Here in the next couple days I will be gutting the interior. I'll get a better idea of the damage and post more pictures as I make progress.

Anyways, now that you know the goals, let get some pictures up to show you a rough (no pun intended) idea of where I am starting. As you can imagine from the title, it is not that good. All the same; This is my truck. There are many like it, but this one is mine...... and she will live again!

Mug Shot:

Passenger Side Striker Post (already replaced):

Inside Passenger Side Door:

Passenger Side Lower Quarter Panel:

Passenger Side Rear Corner of Quarter Panel:

Rusted area under the tail gate:

Driver's Side Rust:

Same Spot, Different Angle:

Quick Shot of the Dash:

Bottom of Driver's Door:

Driver's Side Quarter Panel:

Quick shot of the frame rail:

Inside the forward area of the passenger side quarter panel:

More from the same area:

Passenger Side frame rail:

Light bar on the top with dang whole they cut for the wire:

Close up of the same area (there has to be a better way for this; in need of ideas):

Passenger side front:

Passenger Side front, different angle:

Passenger Side forward frame rail area:

Driver's Side front (notice the awesome spacers!!! :barf):

Driver's Side front cab mount:

Driver's Side forward frame rail:

Driver's Side floor w/ patches :barf:

More :barf:

Driver's Side Frame Rail:

Passenger's side Floor area rust w/ patches :barf:

Passenger's Side frame rail:

Engine:

Engine:

Rear Cargo area w/ seat folded forward:

More :barf in the rear cargo area:

Seats and Cargo area:

Just a quick teaser of good things to come:

35's, 7" Lift, and more in the garage... we'll get to that later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a 75' F-250 that was just about as bad when I started it. Just wait till I get pictures up here with the seats and carpet pulled. It is alot of effort to get it right, but worth it when your done.

·
Registered
504 Posts
whew and i thought we had rust problems on the coast
i got a 91 that was a beach lover and the rust was nuts but since i've done alot of cleaning i realize its not as bad as i thought
still got work for me to do though
good luck and keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The funny part is this is the best one I could find anywhere around here. I looked for a while too. I almost broke down and bought a nice 96 (somehow mostly rust free) with a 351W, but I really love the 73-79 style and I wanted it in a Bronco.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,581 Posts
There is a fella over on ClassicBroncos.com getting rid of a 78/79 tub...has dents, but I don't recall rust like that.
If I remember tommorrow I'll see if I can dig up the thread on it. didn't want that much for it as I remember either.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,977 Posts
It all looks fixable to me, not super bad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
on the light bar I'd remove it and add a push bar to the front with some nice lights, and fill the holes up top.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on the light bar I'd remove it and add a push bar to the front with some nice lights, and fill the holes up top.
That was exactly what I was thinking. I just figured I'd ask to see what others did with the light bar. I'm still not even sure I like the light bar, but still wanted to keep my options open.

I have seen worse but if it were me i would be looking for a more solid body to work with, you would be time and money head.
The majority of the pannels I will be fab'ing myself, so that will keep the cost down. I have been chipping away a little more each night. I know it is a lot of work to do it this way, but it is the kind of work I enjoy and it will be nice when it is done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I like those lighted Lund visors I had one on my 89. The light bar eh, I'd toss it. I do like the push bars though. If you wanted more light that's what I'd do.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts