Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just watching Saving Private Ryan again, and they just left the beach to look for Ryan. Now, although this has nothing to do with the movie itself, I noticed the blimps on the beach and I have always wonderred what the blimps were for. I am guessing they were fort either observation or for extending the range of radio frequencies. Anybody know what they are really for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,177 Posts
Never seen the movie, but were they just balloons or actual blimps with the cabin at the bottom? If they were those greyish balloons, they were either decoys, or 2 or more of them were linked together with steel wires (they also hung the wires to the ground to keep them from floating away and to widen the area of wires) and when planes flew through them they would literally tear the wings off of em. They were grey cause planes couldn't see them and when they did it was too late.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that was it, Ziggy. I just rewound the movie to the d-day landing and There was no cabin below the blimp and they were about 200' above the ships. There are hundreds of them. I don't see any ropes between the blimps, only from the blimps to the ships. I just don't think it is likely that a plane would get that close to the sea to make that a plausible use for the blimps. I've always wondered about those blimps when I've watched footage of the d-day landings. It would seem to me that it would make them stand out more and result in getting spotted sooner than without them.Thanks anyways Ziggy

great movie, by the way. You gotta rent it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
125 Posts
The blimps were sometimes used to keep the enemy planes at higher altitudes. Making them more vulnerable to AA fire, also preventing strafing (sp?) of the beach head and dive bombing. These were "baby blimps" which generally carried a 4 man crew. After a foothold was established, they were also used for observation and battlefield assessments.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that sounds possible. Can anybody else confirm this?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,930 Posts
Ziggy_Moto and SouthFloridaBronco85 are right. They were also used over London and other British cities during the blitz as well as above ship convoys in the English Channel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
930 Posts
They were often used as aerial observation platforms for spotting submarines and for battlefield assessment.
 

·
No avatar required
Joined
·
10,956 Posts
You're all wrong.

The blimps were there to film it, they didn't have news helicopters at the time. If you look closely you can see the word Goodyear on one of them :goodfinge
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,930 Posts
bnkrtstk said:
You're all wrong.

The blimps were there to film it, they didn't have news helicopters at the time. If you look closely you can see the word Goodyear on one of them :goodfinge
:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica:histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,177 Posts
waltman said:
I don't think that was it, Ziggy. I just rewound the movie to the d-day landing and There was no cabin below the blimp and they were about 200' above the ships. There are hundreds of them. I don't see any ropes between the blimps, only from the blimps to the ships. I just don't think it is likely that a plane would get that close to the sea to make that a plausible use for the blimps. I've always wondered about those blimps when I've watched footage of the d-day landings. It would seem to me that it would make them stand out more and result in getting spotted sooner than without them.Thanks anyways Ziggy

great movie, by the way. You gotta rent it.
Eh, 200 feet seems unreasonable. They were at a much higher altitude than that. They were mainly for divebombers and surveillance (medieval style with a guy hangin' out of the plane with a camera :toothless), but they could still trap a few fighter flies in their webs.
 

·
user title
Joined
·
2,211 Posts
SouthFloridaBronco85 said:
The blimps were sometimes used to keep the enemy planes at higher altitudes. Making them more vulnerable to AA fire, also preventing strafing (sp?) of the beach head and dive bombing. These were "baby blimps" which generally carried a 4 man crew. After a foothold was established, they were also used for observation and battlefield assessments.
:stupid
That is the main reason I think.

:beer
Bill
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So it's unanimous. Keep planes at a higher altitude, limit strafing and dive bombing, observation platform, catch the odd low flighing strafer....and practice filming for the superbowl. :thumbup
Thanks for clearing that up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
They were barrage balloons. Prevented dive bombing and low-level strafing. And strafing of the beach-head was not prevented by these balloons. They didn't really care about the beach, men were expendable, the ships that supported the men are what they wanted to protect. Men were still strafed because planes could come in parallel w/ the beach.
 

·
crank trigger
Joined
·
8,150 Posts
50Gunner said:
They were barrage balloons. Prevented dive bombing and low-level strafing. And strafing of the beach-head was not prevented by these balloons. They didn't really care about the beach, men were expendable, the ships that supported the men are what they wanted to protect. Men were still strafed because planes could come in parallel w/ the beach.
I think it was more likely due to the impracticality of deploying the balloons along the beach before the invasion rather than callousness.
 

·
Ex Navy Nuke
Joined
·
5,420 Posts
I don't know. All my years on Subs during the 90's I never saw any balloons in the sky. Wait a minute I never saw the sky either. Disregard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,130 Posts
:lolup

Barrage balloons. Used to keep torpedo fawkers and dive bombers away they were also used to stop strafing (sp?) runs. They arn't used anymore to my knowlage. They had absolutly nothing to do with the troops that wern't on the ships. Ever seen a plane hit a huge cable at speed? Looks kinda like cheese and a hot wire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,177 Posts
Hopper said:
:lolup

Barrage balloons. Used to keep torpedo fawkers and dive bombers away they were also used to stop strafing (sp?) runs. They arn't used anymore to my knowlage. They had absolutly nothing to do with the troops that wern't on the ships. Ever seen a plane hit a huge cable at speed? Looks kinda like cheese and a hot wire.
Just about sums the topic up for me. :toothless.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,681 Posts
i don't know for sure. But the first half of that movie is the MOST intense and supposedly the most ACCURATE war re-creation scenes.

I have to give every man that stormed that beach credit.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top