Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this has been commented on before, if so, I apologize and feel free to delete it as it's a fairly old episode.
I was channel surfing the other day and clicked on the MotorTrend channel like I usually do. I immediately saw a late model Bronco being worked on, so I decided to watch it. The program was Junkyard Empire and they were installing a 8" lift on a '94 Bronco., hmmm... should be cool. I must say after watching it for a bit, it is probably one of the worst programs on MotorTrend. These guys installed radius arm drop brackets for the stock (short) radius arms, and where trying to figure out why the shocks were rubbing the spring. Then when they figured out the angle was wrong, the sawzalled the top of the arm, heated it cherry red, bent and rewelded it!
Then they took the sawzall to fenders & quarters and just bolted up some flares, added a couple of bumpers and a jerry can and said they could sell it for $ 30 grand.
WOW!

Here's the before pic with the phucked up hood:

Here's the finished pics with the same phucked up hood and worn out interior (note the body filler on the "B" pillar).

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,190 Posts
And we wonder why so many folks need a site like ours, with knuckle draggin', tweakers having their own TV shows and gullible, ignorant enthusiasts watching that crap and thinking that if they do the same, not only will the rig be better (NOT) but more valuable and perfectly acceptable.

There was a time before FSB, I would have been one of those gullible morons, messing up my rig and feeling like a super-mechanic while making myself look the fool to anyone with any real knowledge and endangering the general public with my hacked together rig.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fu** garbage. There are very few shows I like because of shit like this.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not a fan of many of these shows, and it was the first time I had seen Junkyard Empire and it will probably be my last. The only shows I record and watch are Bitchin Rides and Iron Resurrection. I could do without all the stupid shit that goes on, but really appreciate the talent of Joe Martin and Dave Kindig's guys, even though a lot of things may not be done to my taste.

That would make yours worth at least $100K then!
Hell, I'd be happy with the 30K they said they could get, lol.

And we wonder why so many folks need a site like ours, with knuckle draggin', tweakers having their own TV shows and gullible, ignorant enthusiasts watching that crap and thinking that if they do the same, not only will the rig be better (NOT) but more valuable and perfectly acceptable.

There was a time before FSB, I would have been one of those gullible morons, messing up my rig and feeling like a super-mechanic while making myself look the fool to anyone with any real knowledge and endangering the general public with my hacked together rig.
So true, I just hope we don't lose those people with our "new" site; I still have a hard time navigating my way through this thing. It was just so "user friendly" before and I really don't find the "light" or optional "dark mode" appealing.
Truthfully, it's like that old bar/restaurant you went for 25 years and then some rich guy buys it, guts the place and remodels everything to the point that you don't even recognize it anymore...... and then turns it into a yuppy hangout, forgetting about all the people who made the place what it was! .... this place too, has lost a lot of its original character, charm and sadly, clientele.

....and I know that this was from another post, just figured before someone said it:

This is NOT the area for FORUM issues. You've been around long enough to know that.
I know....I know.....shame on me, but it's just not that shiny new penny anymore. I used to be able to come on here and literally spend hours, now, I'm off in minutes.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I love bitchin rides as well. Also, graveyard cars. There’s some tv drama added but their skill and knowledge are impeccable.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yup - I ran across that show randomly. Once. Never again. Dave and Joe are the only ones I really watch anymore. I like the attention to detail and the craftsmanship.
I can add one show for you - don't know it was a just a "one off" or not...

But Ant Antstead (the new mechanic on Wheeler Dealers) did how own limited series when Wheeler Dealers was on break.

He built his own version of the Alfa 158. From a scrap MG frame and transplanted Alfa guts.
The guy is a LEGIT car guy. Turns out he was a cop in the UK -then quit to full time working on cars.

It's called "Ant Anstead Master Mechanic".

It's well worth the watch. He's like Joe and Dave - you watch him and you can just tell he's a legit car guy.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Ant did an amazing rust repair on some old british car on the last episode I caught. It made me take the time to do a little research on him. He basically fab'd up 20% of the trim around the front windshield and it looked 100% stock after paint. I would much rather he host a show then the wheeler dealer dude.

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool. I'll have to check it out.
Joe martin still impresses the $hit outta me; he can fabricate sheet metal, weld, paint, pinstripe, airbrush. do body work, build cars and bikes, the guy is flatout just talented.

Oh yeah, and his wife Amanda is not too shabby either.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,643 Posts
Amanda is the best part of the show, behind Shags hair hahahah

The graveyard cars guy is a grade A asshole. I cant stand him. Does know a lot about mopars tho.

Bitchin rides is ok. They do outstanding work, but only 10 minutes of the hour is about cars. The other is just kev dogg playing jokes and looking stupid with his ears tucked into his hat.

The show I never see mentioned is Full Custom Garage. If you wanna see craftsmanship, that's the show to watch. Zero tv drama, it's just a man and his tools.

I was watching hotrod garage yesterday and they bleeped the word retarded, when referring to timing... what a load of horse hockey

·
Registered
465 Posts
Amanda is the best part of the show, behind Shags hair hahahah

The graveyard cars guy is a grade A asshole. I cant stand him. Does know a lot about mopars tho.

Bitchin rides is ok. They do outstanding work, but only 10 minutes of the hour is about cars. The other is just kev dogg playing jokes and looking stupid with his ears tucked into his hat.

The show I never see mentioned is Full Custom Garage. If you wanna see craftsmanship, that's the show to watch. Zero tv drama, it's just a man and his tools.

I was watching hotrod garage yesterday and they bleeped the word retarded, when referring to timing... what a load of horse hockey
Full custom garage is definitely top tier, can’t believe I left that out. I think you hit the nail on the head with the rest of those. All in all I like to work, not the drama.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,643 Posts
Graveyard cars is one I refuse to watch. I just wanna punch that guy in the face. I usually wont watch Junkyard Empire either, unless theres absolutely nothing else on. Even then, FSB is getting 90% of my attention.

Did y'all see the JYE episode where the son picks up a guys car who is trying to steal a tire? Just slides his loader's forks under the thief's car and raises it like 10ft. Anyone who has ever been to a JY knows that's gonna Fu** up the bottom of the guys car. Theres a lot of laws being broken in that one scene, not by the tire thief. Property damages, endangerment, threatening with a deadly weapon (rubber tire loader with forks), extortion/bribery (tripling price and letting him take tire without LEO being called), and a few OSHA infractions. That place would be shut down over that incident by OSHA in real life. But it's not real life...

·
Ultra Premium Member
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ian Roussel is definitely talented, just does some crazy projects.

Reactions: BigBlue 94

·
Addicted to Junk
12,643 Posts
That's why I like him! He isnt building a damn 57 chevy or 67 C10 or 63 Corvette or any of that 'boring' usual stuff you can see at any local cruise night.

I like the car he made out of a Packard with Merc parts. And the bubble top Space Junkie! I'll admit the show is a bit dry, due to the lack of interjected comedy, but once you get past that, its amazing to watch him work. Like that crew cab deuce he built. Or was that a 5ton?

·
Premium Member
1988 5.0L E/B AOD, bone stock+ 1993 5.8L E/B, E4OD, 4"lift with 33's
1,275 Posts
To add to the bad list. Overhauling has never impressed me either. Sure they may do a frame off resto, but do they EVER do any custom body work? I'm talking about changing the body in any major way? Most of their cars end up Blue also! What's with that? Then you get the dribble with some schmuck in tears at the end thanking the whole crew for a new paint job and motor. Joe Martin and Dave Kindig have the talent and balls to do the custom work. All tho Ian Rousel has visionary talent, he does hack work that is interesting when done. Safe? Don't think so. Too many bad shows for the buck I think...

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
the thing about these kinds of "reality" shows is that they cost $10 to make for a season. and with so many channels needing to fill time, that's what you get.

if it's the show i'm thinking of, i think i caught an episode once. they seriously are NOT a fab / customization shop. they're just some hacks who got a TV show.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,846 Posts
So true, I just hope we don't lose those people with our "new" site; I still have a hard time navigating my way through this thing. It was just so "user friendly" before and I really don't find the "light" or optional "dark mode" appealing.
Truthfully, it's like that old bar/restaurant you went for 25 years and then some rich guy buys it, guts the place and remodels everything to the point that you don't even recognize it anymore...... and then turns it into a yuppy hangout, forgetting about all the people who made the place what it was! .... this place too, has lost a lot of its original character, charm and sadly, clientele.

....and I know that this was from another post, just figured before someone said it:

I know....I know.....shame on me, but it's just not that shiny new penny anymore. I used to be able to come on here and literally spend hours, now, I'm off in minutes.
I absolutely agree; this place is now NOT user-friendly AT. ALL.....

·
Premium Member
3,931 Posts
i doubt anyone who would share actually knows, but i have wondered a number of times what a line graph would look like for daily traffic before and after the "upgrade"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts