Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to ditch the windshield and factory top. Windshield was already cracked and had a few pits from welding slag...

Here's a 20 ton shackle I found on a job that had been shut down. Had to cut off a section of receiver tube to sleeve it around the pin - it's just for looks, won't be pulling on it.

A pillars cut, B pillars removed, only thing holding the top up is the chrome trim and the crinkled glass.

Took the sawzall right across the windshield. Amazingly it didn't shatter... much. :rofl:

Capped the A pillars and added a new dash frame/fire wall & tub support.

Threw some paint on it to keep it from rusting and to be able to find it at the mall parking lot.

Put the side mirrors back on. Another step closer to be street legal again. Now if getting it to pass smog was only as simple as 97 cents worth of hardware.

Oh, and I finally got around to relocating the shoulder straps on the 5 point harnesses. Haven't actually used them since they were put on, but enough people mentioned that it would be painful on the back if I did roll with them bolted down low instead of right behind the seat. No pictures of that, it was too dark. Maybe later today when I finish prepping for tomorrow's BLM run.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Dig the rig :thumbup

Did you bend the cage yourself or have it made?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mainly rock crawling, but there is the ride to/from the trail, and sometimes that means pavement, other times it's blasting through the desert. NV isn't a mud flap state, and I just need eye protection to run without a windshield, so a decent pair of glasses or goggles work. It's got a cat, but with the Truck Avenger carb I'm still waaaay too rich for the sniffer. Swapping over to EFI should help with the smog and keep the motor from dying when I go past 40 degrees. I bent the cage (halo, A, B, and C pillars) out of 1.5" .120 DOM and the other pieces are HREW .120. I wanted to keep the doors and windshield, but ended up losing both doors last spring on a tight trail and the truck slipping out of gear and folding the driver door backwards on a tree. It's got a 351W/C6/NP208 with 1350 U joints, Corp 14 rear w/ discs, D60 front w/ full hydro, high steer, Reid Knuckles, 35 spline. Used to have a build thread or two, but all the pictures got moved. One of these days I'll dig it up and replace the pictures and finish the thread.

And I'm not moving to LA, too much mud. I would have kept more sheet metal if I was going to play in the mud. Here's another truggy from the last major run we did... used to be an F250:

·
Registered
123 Posts
That is one tough looking rig. :rockon It makes me want to smash something :goodfinge

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It did alright this past weekend... except for the driver's hub either violently disengaging or breaking somewhere not easily seen. Swapped it on the trail and continued on. Only other issue is the pillow block for the front axle. I think it's about to give up the ghost and I'll probably have to fab a new mount for it - this one is probably off just a little bit causing it to fail early.

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
Cool, badass rigs man! They got Mad Max written all over em!

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Very cool rig, looks like a giant side by side

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Here's a 20 ton shackle I found on a job that had been shut down. Had to cut off a section of receiver tube to sleeve it around the pin - it's just for looks, won't be pulling on it.

Paint "Chebby recovery point" on that monster shackle!:histerica
Awesome looking rig. Need some wheelin' pics.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
To the thread title, yup. Fastest way to cut a windshield. You just have to be careful with the glass dust. We do this sometimes when extricating a patient from a car accident. (I'm a firefighter)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Paint "Chebby recovery point" on that monster shackle!:histerica
Awesome looking rig. Need some wheelin' pics.
No wheeling pics from this weekend - we were too busy showing 2 closed trails to the local BLM reps to try and get them opened up. If I can get the driveline sorted out there should pics/video from Hump N Bump in November.

And if nothing else, I'd have to label it Toyota/UniMog recovery point, only two Chebby's in the group. The Blazer is set up rather well and rarely needs recovery, the other is 'Burb that's been cut and tubed and although he flops it a lot, he's also the volunteer bartender back at the camp site.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts