Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a bronco question exactly but it's bronco related. Mods move it I'm not sure where to post this. I'm running low on redneck ingenuity and I'm pulling this engine from a class c rv but im having issues. The doghouse is to close to the engine i have tried multiple things to no avail but I feel I'm getting close. The factory engine hoist spots are a bit high but im trying to use them they look previously used so they must work right? My carb intake adapter doesn't fit. I'm going to go buy some more clevis tomorrow at tractor supply and see if that will work with a length of chain. I dunno I'm about to Sawzall the hell out of this thing

That doesn't leave much clearance. I'm assuming ford has a special deal to bolt onto the intake manifold.

Even did that so the cherry picker hook isn't hanging far down.

I'm about to put the frame on jack stands and Sawzall just behind the engine mounts. Then roll it out. I know it won't be that easy but I'm about to lose my cool on this thing. Start copping everything

Bud

Attachments

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
When I helped pull the '91 460 out of the motorhome we were fortunate to have a lift and just lifted the body off the frame. Even that took the better part of the day.

The factory lift brackets leave a lot to be desired in my opinion on how level they'll keep the engine. I had to rig a third strap to somewhere around the A/C compressor to be able to level it to the point I could get it on the engine stand. Maybe that's common, and maybe that doesn't offer any help. I am having some trouble getting fully oriented to the issues you are having based on the pictures and descriptions.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,318 Posts
Take the tires off, strip the front, and pull the transmission then put an engine stand on the front of the block, adjust the height of the RV till it’s off the mounts then roll it out the front.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,331 Posts
Remove front suspension. Saw the frame behind the motor mounts with the hoist holding the engine up. Block the frame so it stays in place. Saw the trans crossmember. Throw a couple of the seat cushions under the trans and engine and let her down.

This will be the easiest route.

·
Premium Member
5,237 Posts
In the junkyard they unbolt the cab from the frames then lift the front of the cab with a fork lift (maybe too hard on a rv) or just rip off the core support and slide it forward.

·
Registered
327 Posts
IF its a Junk Yard RV I would cut it open, they did on roadkill and that seem'd to work.

·
Registered
1978 460 c6
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank yall for the replies. I never said what I did finally. I tried to take out the body mount bolts first. Figured I could lift the cab and boom out. They were hard to get to and rusted in place. The front most ones near the core support were impossible to get to the tops of them. Started to cut the front body mounts with the Sawzall but the rubber grabbed the Sawzall blade more than I expected and it just shook in my hands so I started stripping the suspension and started cutting the frame out. Cut the coil springs and started just hacking everything off.

Cut behind the front body mounts and in front of the second set of body mounts and it fell to the ground and dragged out. The engine weight bent the factory engine lift points and it hung really low and wobbled to and fro. Lower than I anticipated by far. Without cutting the frame or coming up with an intake adapter it wouldn't have come out. In hindsight the intake adapter would have been easier to weld up than cutting out the front section of the frame and suspension. The rv would also roll and be easier to haul off for scrap as well but now that's just saw time.

Bud

1 - 8 of 8 Posts