Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 351. So far, I have the block bored .040 over with dish pistons, a mild cam and higher compression, 1970 heads. They are shaved .040 and ported. I'm also running full rollers. My question is... Should I go back to EFI or switch to carb? I do not know to much about EFI and my concern is about running lean and burning up the valves. Would putting in larger injecters solve the lean running condition or should I go back to old school? Any help would be great, Thanks!

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
EFI.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I have yet to figure out why ANYONE would ditch EFI for a carb.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses... I kinda' knew I was going to open a can of worms with this question. ;) I'm used to building good ole' Holley carbs and can rebuild them with my eyes closed. I understand the benifits of FI and love not having to warm up a carb motor. Having said that, my lack of knowledge with computers and efi worries me. I have dumped alot of $$$ into this engine and i'd hate to kill it due to lack of fuel. Thanks again:thumbup

·
Registered
132 Posts
EFI all the way, don't 2nd guess it or look back!! I'm in the same boat as you, I can rebuild a 650 double-pumper with my eyes closed while makin' a sandwich, but EFI just has too many benefits (especially no floats!! for crazy off-road angles). I've had my bronco 3 days and I'm already planning on ditching the carb for an aftermarket TB efi setup or just a factory eec iv/etc.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
:stupid I'm with all the rest.
I used to be an old school hot rodder and the new EFI stuff kinda intimidated me but now that I understand it all better I would never go back to carbed motors. In fact if I ever do an older muscle car again I will undoubtedly put a more modern EFI management system on it. There are just too many benefits beyond just the improvement in HP and mileage.

·
Gear Driven!!
1,280 Posts
Thanks for the responses... I kinda' knew I was going to open a can of worms with this question. ;) I'm used to building good ole' Holley carbs and can rebuild them with my eyes closed. I understand the benifits of FI and love not having to warm up a carb motor. Having said that, my lack of knowledge with computers and efi worries me. I have dumped alot of $$$ into this engine and i'd hate to kill it due to lack of fuel. Thanks again:thumbup
Dude there is a ton of aftermarket fuel pumps out there that supply fuel to any kind of combo you can dream up.With that said lack of fuel should be the least of your worries!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts