Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
10,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, somebody I know is thinking about going away to college .You guys that are going what are you monthly expences ( excluding tuition).He knows he is going to be paying at least $250.00 a month for rent(four guys living in same apartment) ....what else?Just need to prove a point.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,695 Posts
don't forget simplicities in life, like, food, electricity, gas, water, gas for his car, insurance, clothes, and any entertainment he wants to have in his life.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
its a lot. thats why i work 2 part time jobs during school and still need student loans. not saying it can't be done, but its ****in expensive. what "makes it worth it" is the guarantee of getting out of that debt once you graduate. for instance, the average starting salary of recent grads from my college is like 45-50k depending on major. 3 buddies that recently graduated are now working jobs that pay 50-60k a year with full benefits blah blah blah and they are 22-23.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
When i was in UT i was dropping bout the same for rent. Another 100 for food. 200 for fuel, back when it wasn't 2+ $$$ a gallon, 20-30 for electic, place had free cable, noth 15 for internet (router made hi speed cheap for us).

Benn out for 1.5 years. I still owe 13k or so in loans. working my ass off during the summers helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i would say if you pay rent and bills right there $450-$600.

then maybe a $20 a day for food. cheaper if you buy groceries. so $300-$600.

If nothing else add fun money and spending money for nick nack stuff. $250

so maybe around $950-$1500 a month.

I might spend more then that myself.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
it is amatter of how high maintance i guy is, i know that sounds weird but have you looked at some of these i am better then the world who owes me everything pricks!!
Living off of daddies money with no worries to them. i cringe when i ask for money to get by. but he never complains but i don't ask for anymore then i need.

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,904 Posts
Really, it matters on how much he wants what he's goin to school for. My girlfriend just finished the Firefighter/Medic program. She took out a loan for 18,000, not working she lived on that for all of last year. Thats paying rent, food, gas, and odds/ends.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I bring home 1200 a month at my full time job. I have a part time job to make ends meet. I'm a very active person and sometimes it costs money to be active. You can sit at home all day and do nothing and live cheap. Or you can get out and do stuff, and it costs you money. I've done it both ways. You cant always cook at home, sometimes you gotta eat out. The busier you are, the more you eat out, the more gas you use....etc etc.

It adds up quick. God forbid you get a ticket or have some car repairs.

-Will

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,904 Posts
Yeah, she had to fix her car a few times. Lot of the time she eat top ramon for dinner.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
i know the meaning of getting busy but might as well be busy now and get taht good job in the end.

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
I pay right at 300 a month for rent, about 40 for the light bill, about 33 for cable/internet, and about 7-10 for water. I pull in about 500-600 a month in a part time job, that I HAVE to have inorder to stay afloat. I have student loans which when I get a refund check i'll have about 1,000 cash. That stays in the bank as cushion, but is usually gone by the end of the semester.

FOOD-- that is the biggest expense I have. I have a girl friend and we go out, not that I don't want to go out. But we split things down the middle. We both know we can't afford it. But, by the end of the month I am just getting by, I have had to borrow cash from my mom a few times.

Then add a Bronco, tools and shit i like to buy, I don't know how i haven't been evicted.

I haven't even made it to the 'real' world and that shits already kickin my ass. Good luck. I hope you don't drink.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I make about 650-800 bucks a month working part time (25-30 bucks a week), and I manage to get by on that at college. I've taken out lots of loans and spend alot on my truck. My recommendation? Live in the dorms. Cheaper, food provided, utilities/internet/cable provided. Easier, just have to worry about having a crappy roommate lik eI did my first term.

Yeah..don't drink - that adds up fast.

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
My personal opinion is that living on campus is something that every one should have to do. This is the point where you meet the most people and have about the most fun. I lived on campus for three years and it was awesome, but it was time for a change.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
While I'm on campus, and kind of out of place in the big city, I like it overall. The only way I'm makin this work is a full tuition scholarship from the Airforce. My expenses include about 250 a month for gas b/c I have to go between Widener and St. Joes twice a week (hello blue rt.!) for the ROTC stuff. Otherwize spend maybe 100 on extra food (pizza, wings, ect.). My suggestion is to get the meal plan and just load up your bag before you leave with stuff you can eat later in the day, and evening, and early morning (hello engineerin homework!). I couldn't imagine having to pay for an apartment/utilities.

Adrianspeeder

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Eh, my house comes to 290 a month plus utilities. With digital cable and internet and 3 roomates, utitities average 110 apice for a total of 400 or so.

My school charges about 650 bucks a month for housing/food. Take that extra 250 difference and put it toward food, and you end up with a MUCH better deal. Much bigger room, house 5 feet from the beach, no RA's to catch you drinking, nobody above or below you making noise...nobody above or below you to complain about your noise...

I'll never live in a dorm again. Unless its at a real college like UGA or ECU.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
nbaff said:
ECU--that's not to far some me, crazy crazy place
ECU....yep I heard some great things about that place like their VD percentage :histerica

App is more of a real college than ECU :goodfinge

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
Dirtdigger said:
Ok, somebody I know is thinking about going away to college .You guys that are going what are you monthly expences ( excluding tuition).He knows he is going to be paying at least $250.00 a month for rent(four guys living in same apartment) ....what else?Just need to prove a point.
not sure what point you are trying to prove, but he will need money for the usual stuff just like he would anywhere doing anything. he will also need to figure in books and misc lab fees and maybe some parking costs. i would encourage him to go get an education, it will most likely lead to a higher earning potential and obviously has intrinsic value.

·
3,420 Posts
here its about $275 rent, usually $400 combined with utilities. i try to live off of under $100 a week for food and gas and beer. books are a big expense, for me it has never been under $500, even when i've bought them used or online. last semester i spent just shy of $700. i try to drive as little as possible. i work about a half hour from school and work 2 days a week, so that is enough gas. i usually make over $1000 in a month working part-time. its usually not very tight and i can still pull of truck parts every once in a while.

i live pretty simple, though, i don't eat a whole lot and try not to buy frivilous stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts