Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a drill press for the garage. I will mainly be drilling into Metal and using hole saws to cut into round tubing.

By using and looking at DP, parts on many are interchangeable. I look at the new ones at Northern Tool or Lowes and they just don't look as well built as say a 80s model.

I have been going over the local CL and found one I really like.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/tls/4977085051.html

emailed the guy and he sent me:

Looks like a Ohio Forge 5 speed. $125 and it comes with the table, vice, clamps, chuck, and key. Guys says it works great and has been used at a local airport shop for almost 30 years.

Does anyone have any experience with Ohio Forge? Are they simple machines, durable, good name? Will this DP work for the jobs I am looking to do?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
looks like a good deal to me. I agree the older ones seem to be better made, but im not familiar with the brand. Too many things now are made in china and rebranded. Cutting steel is all about the lubricant and the quality of bit/saw your using. I think the press will work fine. It doesnt say if it is a made in USA machine. If it doesnt say its likely made in china. A quick google search comes up empty. So proceed at your own risk.

Some good vintage made in the USA brands would be....
Walker Turner
Delta Rockwell
Atlas
Craftsman
http://www.bmt-usa.com
Clausing
Ellissaw.com

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Funny I just put the same drill press in my junk pile to take to the scrap yard. It's 24 years old so it did serve me well. My only complaint is the 500 RPM low gear was still too fast for most my metal drilling. Anything over 1/4" and I would use another drill. It also did not have enough power to run a 3/4" holesaw unless it was thin metal, like 1/8" or less. I never used a holesaw on round tube so it may work OK there since you're not going to be cutting with all the teeth at the same time. However, I think 500 rpm's is still too fast for a holesaw if you're going to be doing it a lot. I've always ran 1"-1.5" holesaws around 300 rpms with cutting oil.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Looks the same as any other "hobby grade" press. Should do just fine, as long as you don't force it. I have a newer Ryobi , with the same specs that does 1/2" plate and cast iron no problem.

I did do one mod to my press. I deleted the on/off switch, and went to a foot pedal. If and WHEN a bit gets hung up, no fumbling for the switch, just take your foot off the pedal. I got my pedal off an old "roto rooter" machine.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,625 Posts
I've got an old shop-smith mark v out there that has the drill press, table saw, joiner, etc., etc.
still haven't figured out how to use it. haven't needed a DP yet though. ;)
love that I can store it so easily and have so many options available if I need 'em.
that and the locking rollers, to roll it around the shop wherever I need it... or packed to the side when I don't.
that said... I'm sure it's not the best drill-press performance out there... but I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I have a 1/2hp press that I bought years ago when Kmart was closing stores. Is a cheap bench one, and has worked well. Two things I wish I had on it are a deeper throw and more hp. I would like a longer throw than 2", getting tired of having to move the table up and down to make deeper holes. Also a 3/4hp would give a bit more oomph on the hole cutter and heavier steel. I have used drill presses that you have to brace the work on the pole or it would rip it out of you hand when binding. They make the work much easier.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
Whatever you buy, It should work great for some time to come if you buy new. The old cheap ones you just need to be aware of runout in the spindle. It might not be a bad idea to bring a runout gauge to the stores and check them on the new ones too. Get the one with the least amount. Getting one to go slow enough to cut steel is also something to look at.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked it up today. Got to see this mans 50s navy plan he flys around every weekend.

Even came with a vice that will cut at angles! :beer

Works great and started using it today.

Did you notice this thing??

Yep he had a sandblasting booth with everything. He said I just spent $35 on a new set of gloves if I repaid him that I could have it all.

SCORE!! :rockon

So i took the blaster to the frame of the bronco just to see what it would do.

Not too bad.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Salt has a smaller garage, better equipment, and more space than me. I am very displeased.:madder All I got is a garage full of junk.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,125 Posts
Congrats on the drill press. :thumbup That's one of those tools I'd hate to be without.

I've got an old shop-smith mark v out there that has the drill press, table saw, joiner, etc., etc.
still haven't figured out how to use it. haven't needed a DP yet though. ;)
love that I can store it so easily and have so many options available if I need 'em.
that and the locking rollers, to roll it around the shop wherever I need it... or packed to the side when I don't.
that said... I'm sure it's not the best drill-press performance out there... but I think it's worth it.
My dad had one of those ^. He probably still does. It makes for a pretty good drill press. The speed adjustment is simpler than the average DP & the fence is handy. The horizontal boring ability is nice too. I liked playing with the wood lathe setup. If you get your attachments & tools all laid out the changeovers aren't too bad. It's a nice tool for a small home shop. The table always seemed small for table saw work, but if the extensions are lined up it helps. I used to watch the guy at the fair make fun stuff with them.

·
Premium Member
907 Posts
We buy and sell storage units as a side hustle I've gotten 3 shopsmiths over the years and have always sold them for WAY more then you got yours for Pepe. I get all kinds of tools I think we have 6 drill presses right now few table saws etc.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have a 1930's walker turner drill press that my step grandpa bought used from us army in 1946 or something like that

works awesome, very solid ,works as an end mill,valve spring compressor,drill and many other things over the years

Pepe, if you need a manual for the shopsmith,my buddy has one I can probably copy for his smith

1 - 18 of 18 Posts