Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant seem to find the proper information I'm after from searching. Mostly what I see is about using an EEC-IV style setup. I have a 96 bronco that's OBD2(EEC-V) with a 351W. Several years ago I swapped in a manual trans and its always bugged me that I have several codes showing for the missing transmission. It also Idles weird which has also bothered me. Recently I took the motor out to get the short block redone among a ton of other fixes while I basically redo years of my own neglect. This is strictly a offroad/crawler type truck and mostly only be driven on the streets to and from the trail. What are my options for tuning the EEC-V? Can I buy a OBD2 style cable that will hook to my computer and use software to remove the trans parameters? Someday I plan to build a motor for it as well so learning with the stock motor seems much safer. If you have any good links for more information for me to read on my own I will gladly take them!

·
Man of endless projects
9,752 Posts
why not jsut get a ECM for a manual 96 bronco? alot cheaper

i use a Quarterhorse tuner in my trucks. but its not exactly cheap. once you buy the tuner, the programs, PCM 'strategy', it gets expensive. also a downside in a trail truck is they have battery for memory so if you leave the battery disconnected in the vehicle, it can make the battery in the tuner go out faster and wipe itself

Tweecer is probably a better choice. they use thier own program and i dont think you have to buy a 'strategy'. they also do not have a battery for memory. the RT version can data log like the Quarterhorse which is nice to have for tuning

there are actual 'chip' tuners that are cheaper and more permanent. they are actually what you are suppose to use once you finilze tuning with the Quarterhorse.

i do not know anything about the other OBD-II tuners. i always used J3 tuners

i have the Quarterhorse on my 96, my 88 thats running 96 EFI currently, and my 90 F250 thats running 96 Explorer EFI.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why not jsut get a ECM for a manual 96 bronco? alot cheaper

i use a Quarterhorse tuner in my trucks. but its not exactly cheap. once you buy the tuner, the programs, PCM 'strategy', it gets expensive. also a downside in a trail truck is they have battery for memory so if you leave the battery disconnected in the vehicle, it can make the battery in the tuner go out faster and wipe itself

Tweecer is probably a better choice. they use thier own program and i dont think you have to buy a 'strategy'. they also do not have a battery for memory. the RT version can data log like the Quarterhorse which is nice to have for tuning

there are actual 'chip' tuners that are cheaper and more permanent. they are actually what you are suppose to use once you finilze tuning with the Quarterhorse.

i do not know anything about the other OBD-II tuners. i always used J3 tuners

i have the Quarterhorse on my 96, my 88 thats running 96 EFI currently, and my 90 F250 thats running 96 Explorer EFI.
Sadly there never was an OBD-II truck with a manual trans and 351W. Just didn't exist. The F250 and F350 trucks came with a 351W and Manual in 96 but since they were the larger sized trucks they werent federally mandated to be OBD-II compliant. I think a lot of them had the port under the dash but it wasn't the same ECU.

I was looking into Quarterhorse and it seems like a good option. I just wasn't sure if the OBD-II trucks were capable of just flashing a tune through the OBD-II Port under the dash without needing to buy something like a quarterhorse. If the added chip/board is required then it seems like I will go the Quarterhorse route after I get some other stuff sorted out. I was also thinking about going the route of a standalone system like the megasquirt to fully support mods in the future. I really like the idea of an individual coil per plug type of system like more modern trucks use for better tuneability.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That ECM is a unicorn. I've never come across a Ford truck that has a 5.8, EEC-V, and a manual transmission.
unfortunately it didn't exist which is the cause of my whole dilemma haha

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
De-programming the automatic transmission is likely the best route. Unfortunately, I would not know how to do this.

Incidentally, there is a 1997 F-250 that came with a 5.8 and is listed as being produced with a manual transmission. My guess is that at least one of these was made. This truck would have been OBD-II and EEC-V. However, a calibration code would need to be provided in order to get one of these ECMs, and I would not know what the calibration code would be for one that came with a stick shift. Might be an avenue for research.

@miesk5 ??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
De-programming the automatic transmission is likely the best route. Unfortunately, I would not know how to do this.

Incidentally, there is a 1997 F-250 that came with a 5.8 and is listed as being produced with a manual transmission. My guess is that at least one of these was made. This truck would have been OBD-II and EEC-V. However, a calibration code would need to be provided in order to get one of these ECMs, and I would not know what the calibration code would be for one that came with a stick shift. Might be an avenue for research.

@miesk5 ??
The F250 and F350 were not required by the federal emissions changes to be EEC-V. It was only for the half tons. They did have an OBD-II port under the dash but it wasnt fully functional like it was in the half tons.

·
Super Moderator
28,821 Posts
Yo,
See this 96 E4OD SWAP to a ZF by member @67galax who is logged in here right now!

Due to issues I couldn't read tbrough 9 pages to "see" if he addressed the PCM issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts