Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
It's not the end of the world but I'm getting some pretty good wheel hop out of my BKG arms/pro-cop springs/skyjacker nitro shocks.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hp9Y_sd8nCY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can see it in at least two spots, the first is a lot worse than the second, I think due to the cross talk between the front and the rear, as usual this is a lot steeper than it looks. The second time I catch it before it amplifies.

I understand this is "par for the course" to some extent with radius arms and a lot can be covered with the right shocks.

Like I said, the fronts are single Skyjacker Nitros, cheap ones I bought when I did the 60 swap. The rears are garbage, broke down and barely functional crap that need to be replaced anyway. School me a bit on what good shocks are, how to choose them, and the best places to score good deals on em!

Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
I don't know... but I really dig the video. :rockon

Premium Member
1989 Eddie Bauer 5.8, C6, True Trac diffs, 4.56 gears, 4" C&T lift, 130A 3G Alt, 35" Grabber AT2s
Shocks are those cylindrical hydraulic devices attached at the axle and body, usually intended to improve the ride and/or handling of a motor vehicle. You have been schooled.

Registered
Rebuildable shocks, fox, bilstein, sway a way, king, will be the best for fine tuning but most expensive. You'll only have to buy them once though, and the occasional rebuild kit if they start leaking.

Otherwise I would just run bilsteins. Twin tube shocks, most lift kit companies shocks, typically have tiny pistons and mediocre damping. Bilsteins are a monotube with almost a 2" piston.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
Call them, they will custom build to your needs. Tell em what you Drive and the springs and go from there. If they need to be adjusted after you install to make then more stiff/soft,they are very easy to change. Just watch some you tube videos.

Registered
Most fullsize guys run 400/100 with a soft spring. Mine took 2 months to arrive.

Registered
That seems like awfully heavy compression and light rebound. I'm running 50/70 (fox numbers, its a .010 compression over .012 rebound stack on the front. I'm also running a flutter on the front for the little stuff. And I have bypass shock in the rear so I can't really say what should be run. I've heard guys run a .008 over .012 to deal with a leaf springs heavy rate.

Registered
This was the rates recommended by a Bilstein Rep.

Registered
They all list then differently. Ultimately they are all measured in thousandths (spelling). The shim stacks are in the shape of pyramids, thin shims that start a certain diameter and progressively get smaller.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I'll second the James duff shocks. Bought mine used in ok shape over 6 years ago. My bronco is the second vehicle I've had these on and it seems to control my heavy rims and tires pretty well. I also have cage style arms.
I picked up a used set of bilsteins this weekend, I'll give them a shot and let the learning begin, thanks!

Registered
Cool, you'll be fine with them. The nice thing about the James duff shocks is the rebound/compression is biased 70/30. Softer compression and more controlled rebound. Depending on the model, bilsteins can have the same type of bias.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 22 Posts