Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a buddy of mine has a next-to-new MIG welder that he's going to give me because he never uses it!

http://www.weldingandcutting.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=117-092-000

I have never welded a thing in my life but he says MIG's are great to learn on and are pretty hobby-friendly. Any tips? First, easy projects besides practice welds, etc, that are fun? Is this going to cut it for fabricating, say, a rear bumper or cargo rack?

Also, what else what I need? He's throwing in auto darkening shield/mask, regular shield, gas fittings and gloves. I know I need a CO2 tank..

Today was a good day. :thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go with an Argon/CO2 Mix instead of straight CO2 - youll get less spatter and a better arc. Also, be sure protect your skin from UV light, sleeves are a good idea. Welders can give you a nasty sunburn. Practice makes perfect, get as much scrap as you can and try different techniques to see what works for you.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I didnt know they still made welders. That link didnt state the amps it has but it will be between 70-90 amps max on a 110 unit. For thicker metals use flux cole for better penitration but it will be alot more clean up. Then for sheet metal switch to gas and reverse the poliarty for clean welding. You will need to get a regulator for the gas if it doesnt come with one. The cheapest palce to get one is Harbor Freight for 30 buxs and its adjustable. Other than that get some good brushes or wire wheels for a angle grinder. Nice FREE SCORE!!!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
you could make that work on a bumper or cargo rack. you just have to make multiple passes.
There is no way I would use a machine like that to weld up a bumper that was made from 3/16 or thicker plate. My mig welder when new was supposed to be good for 5/16" plate, I welded a bracket (1/4", had something to do with the chain) onto my mini bike and it broke off while on the trail. If you want something descent and for welding something that needs to be strong, I would be looking at something selling for at least $1500.

What you have is ideal for sheetmetal but for free, you can't bitch.

Oh, and I think this should be in the fab section since this really doesn't have much to do with Broncos.

·
Registered
11,117 Posts
I didnt know they still made welders. That link didnt state the amps it has but it will be between 70-90 amps max on a 110 unit. For thicker metals use flux cole for better penitration but it will be alot more clean up. Then for sheet metal switch to gas and reverse the poliarty for clean welding. You will need to get a regulator for the gas if it doesnt come with one. The cheapest palce to get one is Harbor Freight for 30 buxs and its adjustable. Other than that get some good brushes or wire wheels for a angle grinder. Nice FREE SCORE!!!
I'm pretty sure my little Miller can do 130a on 110v.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.