Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may have read my bumper fab threads, where I borrowed a plasma from a friend and declared I would have to get one. Well, I did. :toothless

A friend called and said he was selling a Lincoln ProCut 25 for another friend, so I went over to look at it... A bit lower capacity than I was looking for, but it's rated for 3/8", and will work with 110 or 220. They were also ~ $1300 new!

Seller's pics:

It had some AZ sunburn (faded paint), and was scratched up. Air was obviously leaking somewhere inside, and the electrode and nozzle were fried. But it worked, and cut through some nasty rusted, dirty metal he had, so I we negotiated a price, and I pulled the trigger.

I got it home and pulled the cover, and after some diagnoses, determined the air leak was a crack in the air pressure regulator housing. So, I went on the interwebz, and looked up the part... $157!! That was more than half what I paid for the plasma! :banghead

Of course, the regulator had not a single marking anywhere on it, so I couldn't figure out where Lincoln sourced it, and browsing Grainger and McMaster-Carr didn't turn up one that looked the same. I finally punted and went to the local Harbor Freight and picked up a regulator to try. PERFECT FIT! and.... $9.99! :rockon

I picked up a new ground clamp, electrode and nozzle, wired on a 220 plug, and gave it a fresh coat of red paint, and it runs like a champ. All for less than half what most of the cheaper chinese Plasmas are running.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
Nice score, should be able to do some nice little projects with it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
great score

thanks for explaining the sunbleached paint, I was getting worried as I thought you bought a pink plasma cutter

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Nice, fab projects will be so much easier now! After 2 years with my plasma it's hard to remember how i got big projects done before.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Congrats man. I love having my hyperthermia handy. Get a good filter and enjoy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've owned plasma cutters for about 15 years now and I don't know what I'd do without one. My first one was a Hypertherm which sheared to 1/2" and made a clean cut to 1/4". Then I bought a Miller which was much bigger. It can shear up to 7/8th" and make a clean cut up to 5/8ths".

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
Wow! Nice score! I want one soooo bad. One thing at a time! After reading what I have about the cheaper machines, I definitely wouldn't pick one up that wasn't a premium brand!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's why there's a filter on my compressor, though it's less of an issue here in AZ than in many places... ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Missouri has it's share of humidity for sure. An air drier running into my paint booth is my next purchase and I can run the Hobart Airforce on it too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts