Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to this site and I have a few questions that I cant find the answers to.I have a 86 ford bronco with a 5.0 Efi moter I got it hot a couple of months ago towing my camper over a mountain it started missing and sputering and acting like it had no power at all.It never overheated to the point of steam or breaking down but when I cut it off to keep it from overheating it would not start again acted like it was locked up or really like the battery was dead.I waited for about 20 minutes and it started right up came back home with it and it did the same thing but never actually overheated just got hot. now it does it every time I take it out. mechanic tol d me it could be blown head gasket,or it could be hydrolocked??? never heard of that.I have another moter but want to know if there is anything I can do before changing the moter.I have replace the t-stat,water pump is good,and radiator is good.any help would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Your mechanic is right. Could be a blown head gasket, burned pistons, hydrolocked etc. Probably had a blown head gasket and got to much water/coolant leaking in causing the friction of the pistons to increase, which caused the engine to overheat and scar and or warp the pistons and or the cylinder walls. Either way it doesn't sound good. Get you mechanic to properly diagnose.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
Thats the condition mine was in when it was given to me. Water in the cylinders kept it from turning over. Take out some spark plugs and try turning it over and watch all the water shoot out. It sucks but sounds like you need an overhaul.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello I'm new to this site and I have a few questions that I cant find the answers to.I have a 86 ford bronco with a 5.0 Efi moter I got it hot a couple of months ago towing my camper over a mountain it started missing and sputering and acting like it had no power at all.It never overheated to the point of steam or breaking down but when I cut it off to keep it from overheating it would not start again acted like it was locked up or really like the battery was dead.I waited for about 20 minutes and it started right up came back home with it and it did the same thing but never actually overheated just got hot. now it does it every time I take it out. mechanic tol d me it could be blown head gasket,or it could be hydrolocked??? never heard of that.I have another moter but want to know if there is anything I can do before changing the moter.I have replace the t-stat,water pump is good,and radiator is good.any help would be great. Thank you.
If you got the motor hot enough to shut down, then the pistons froze in the block (Ask me how I know). That's why the motor started right up later, because it cooled off. If it was hydrolock, you'd have some kind of noise or really poor/uneven running. Your best bet is to swap that other motor in. Why waste time diagosing and rebuilding when you can get it running right in a day? Plus, whatever got it overheating in the first place has not been identified.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
If you got the motor hot enough to shut down, then the pistons froze in the block (Ask me how I know). That's why the motor started right up later, because it cooled off. If it was hydrolock, you'd have some kind of noise or really poor/uneven running. Your best bet is to swap that other motor in. Why waste time diagosing and rebuilding when you can get it running right in a day? Plus, whatever got it overheating in the first place has not been identified.
This is true too ^^^. But I've seen a few cars die then not start till 30 min later because the cylinders filled with water, then after 30 min or so after the water drained down it would start. A sure sign of this would be milky lookin oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help.Didnt know if the guy was bs,ing me or not.Also didnt really want to go trrough trouble of changing the moter but it in my shop now and started taking it apart last night.Again thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts