Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to learn to weld, so i need some practice scrap.

If you have any, let me know, ill gladly take whatever I can get

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
next time i head up that way Id be glad to grab some.

Come to think of it, ill be going up to tahoe possibly on the 27th, are you off 50 or 80?

·
the bruise
1,401 Posts
go to a welding fab shop. they will probablly give you a few pieces or let you buy it for a few dollars a piece. personally i wouldn't weld on the frame pieces, that would probablly be tough to learn on. i would grab at least 2 pieces of 3/8 to 1/2, 5x8 pieces, and set them up like a T, (called a T bar) that would be the best way to start. are you doing MIG?

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,598 Posts
check your local metal supply...ask if they sell rems...or scrap. usually really cheap-like pennies/pound instead of $$/foot.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've got one place that is .50c a lbs for "used" metal. So ill go there, i just didnt know if someone wanted to clear up some space and help out a newb.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my dad has a Lincoln 220v (i believe) which is full of .035 flux core wire. So no gas. It says nascar on it, but i dont know the model number.

I played around welding hte exhaust I cut for the oil pan removal, did alright, but left one good hole in it (whoops) so im getting a collar for it.

·
the bruise
1,401 Posts
i hate flux core unless i am running shielding with it. get some gas if you can, you can rent bottles from a westair, or airgas.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I gotta see if the welder can accept it, which im pretty sure it can

What are the benifits to gas over flux core?

·
Registered
339 Posts
next time i head up that way Id be glad to grab some.

Come to think of it, ill be going up to tahoe possibly on the 27th, are you off 50 or 80?
50, I'm about 5 min off the freeway. It's regular ol' 3/16 steel, w/ a couple of 1/4 brackets, about 3 feet long. I taught myself by cutting chunks of it up and throwing together Ts, butts, laps, etc. I used .035 FC.

·
the bruise
1,401 Posts
I gotta see if the welder can accept it, which im pretty sure it can

What are the benifits to gas over flux core?
it should, you might have to get a different mig gun for it though.

gas will be a lot cleaner of a bead while you are welding and when you are done. to be able to run a strong weld with flux core, you have to know the characteristics of a good bead, as you are actually welding. essentially what i am saying is that a flux core puddle looks completely different that any other weld puddle, and to be able to watch it and to make sure it is burning in correctly, as opposed to a shielding gas, will be a lot more difficult for a beginner welder.

to recap this, good mig welding is easy as poop with .045 and gas, if you learn on that first, you will have a lot easier time as well as cleaner/safer beads.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Im trying to learn to weld, so i need some practice scrap.

If you have any, let me know, ill gladly take whatever I can get
I'll bring some for you this weekend if you haven't found any. I've got various small tubing pieces in .090/.120/.134/.188 wall DOM and/or HREM, as well as some small pieces of a36 plate in 11g and 3/16. There is also a few scraps of 3/8 x 4 hot roll flat stock. Some of the tubing pieces are notched, so you can practice welding joints.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
man huge thanks Yikes.

Wanna, ill see what the welder needs to hook up gas, those all sound like great reasons.

Its a Lincoln Sp125 plus if anyone knows anything more about it. Its actually a 115V not a 220.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
i was going to suggest checking fabricating shops in your area, but it seems like you will be good to go with all the guys on here hooking you up :beer

·
the bruise
1,401 Posts
man huge thanks Yikes.

Wanna, ill see what the welder needs to hook up gas, those all sound like great reasons.

Its a Lincoln Sp125 plus if anyone knows anything more about it. Its actually a 115V not a 220.
oh..... yeah you might just wanna run flux with that. you would need to do a lot to it to get it to run gas i think. i am not sure about configuring a 110 to run gas through it. just turn your power all the way up no matter what, and keep your speed low to medium. also i don't think you will be able to weld on anything bigger than 3/8 unless you can preheat with a torch or something.

ps i hate 110 flux core more than i hate flux core. all beads look like poo with it. once in awhile when the sun is shining right on the metal, there is no wind and the planets are aligned, will you get a roll or dimes with one of those machines. they are kind of fun though. :thumbup

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks wanna bronco. thanks a lot, haha.

Ill play around with it since its all ive got.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hay Peter I just picked up a Lincoln 140c last week and was just on a scrap drive my self. I got one weld under my belt so far.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
not bad, my exhaust weld with half collar held up alright, not too much of a leak, so i guess it worked.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts