Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, hello, I just bought my first 79 xlt ranger, and due to the builds on here has given me the courage to bring this one back to life. the guy i bought it from was gonna crush it!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am about two weeks into this project, just figuring out how to use photobucket and post links, got my tonsils removed yesterday so it seemed like a good time to post. i really enjoy/admire you guys builds' because i have never painted or welded but i have turned many a wrench. i will post more pics as i get them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a 400/c6/205 ( ithink), I have wanted one of these for a long time, 78 79s are my favorite, i looked on cl for a month trying to find one under a thousand, finally i saw a fully restored one in a parking lot and the guy sold me his parts truck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gotter in the shop, took the top off -definitely a two man job, removed the doors and front clip which was bolt intensive. my goal is to remove the body, sand/paint the frame with por15, bedline the thing, thinking of going 4inch lift with 37's, the sheetmetal is pretty bad however not as bad as some ive seen on here, which has given me the courage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the body off of the frame, the body mounts were rusted solid, only a sawzall would remove them. the holes under the mounts are rotted completely. jbg has some frame savers, any body use them?

·
Premium Member
12,536 Posts
Solid foundation for a build. There are a few threads detailing how to repair those body mounts on the frame without spending a bunch of money.

·
4:20 Enthusiast!
3,277 Posts
That ain't rusty!lol;)
The salt belt here really makes trucks disappear fast. I think you have a real solid truck that is in need of minor care.A frame off resto with a truck that nice will be a fun build. :beer

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
looking good that will be a great project. keep us posted

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
definitely not that rusty, that would be a pretty solid truck around here.

the frame saver thingys are just a big washer you weld onto the existing mount where its all rotted out. its really they only way to go unless you can find a nice set some where but that will probably be hard.

·
Super Moderator
6,648 Posts
Looks pretty good and don't be complaining about rust on that thing. If you aren't sure about the motor get a build sheet from Ford. It will give you info on what the truck came optioned with. If you do anything look at Rangers & Cody's build threads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the encouragement, i am starting to get a little scared now. i have rebuilt a s10 axle and a dana 35 years ago but never a ford9 or dana 44, i want to do it right, i guess i will get the master overhaul kit and go maybe 4.88? its weird on JBG one of the axles is 4.88 the other says 4.86 i hope this is a typo although im not ready till after christmas maybe even tax time. i tell you guys the mvp of the day is definitely a hot/steam pressure washer. you can see in this pic where it takes not only the grime off, but takes it down to the metal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
also does anybody know about the end play to the output shaft of the c6? it moves about an eighth of an inch. is this ok? i did a cursory search but found nothing, the transmission runs GREAT so it will be the only thing i prob wont rebuild but im sure will be the first thing that craps out on me :)

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
No typo on 4.88 and 4.86. Most front and rear ratios (with dana up front and Ford 9 inch in the rear) are off by a few 1/100's. No big deal. They just need to be close.

Nice looking starting point BTW. Much better shape than mine - and probably most others on here! You have the start of a good build thread - LOTS OF PICS!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
yeah man great start to the build. the more pictures the better :thumbup you'd be surprised to find how many 92-96 broncos have way more rust than yours!

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
I think I would go 4.56 on the gears for 37" tires, that will put you very close to stock on the speedo.

Oh and feel so bad for you working in that tiny little shop you have....
:thumbup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts