Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in desperate need of gears so I can finally put my lift and 35's on. I am getting Tax cash and am going to get a set (front and back) of 4.56's. My big delema is what traction device to use. I will not get a ton back from Uncle Sam so I want to make the most of what I will get. I was reading and looking at the Aussie lockers and wanted to see if you all thought that would be a good way to start into the lifted locker world. I dont want to get my gears and have them setup with open diffs and I dont want to use something now and then change later and have to adjust the gearing again. I know I will have to replace the carriers to get the bigger gears. I would love to get detroits front and back but I dont have the money for that and I really dont want to wait any longer to lift the truck. My lift kit is getting dusty in the garage.

Would gettinng 4.56's and open carriers with the Aussie lockers be a good starting point for a truck that will see mainly street right now with the weekend being used for camping, rocks and trails? I think I could get all gears and the Aussies with the money I am getting back.

Thanks.
I know this has been talked about before but I like to rehash topics for myself and new people.

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
Im running an aussie in the front and a detroit in the rear...being doing good so far...not sure if i would run one in the back.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking about getting a full spool for the rear.
(Please dont send me your hate responces about spools) I know that when I pay off the truck it will be only for camping and off roading. I know the 8.8 isn't great so I thought a spool would be cheap, a good learning experience, and it would be a good traction device for the rear. So going with a full spool and 4.56 in the rear and 4.56 and a open carrier with something like a mini spool or a Aussie locker would be ok?

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
make sure to upgrade rr axles also...as long as your not doing any heavy street driving I dont see a problem with the spool.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
when putting in a lunch box style locker like the aussie you do not have to reset up your gears so you could always do it later.... i am happy with my aussie locker.... but while you are regearing and have the rear apart it would be an ideal time to put it in

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
i ran an aussie locker in front for a year and a half in my '96. had an auburn ls in the rear. i just sold the rig so i don't have it anymore.

i ran a ls in the rear because it was mainly my dd, i wheeled on weekends, and i didn't want issues on pavement with a rear locker. some people don't mind those issues and/or downplay them.

the front aussie gave me great offroad performance and traction, although to be honest, there were times when i would have preferred a selectable locker up front on tight trails. but my budget didn't permit that, so it wasn't a consideration. i did snap a stubshaft with the front locked once, but it was my own stupid fault for burying the skinny pedal in the air and landing on frozen ground. don't do that.:thumbup

all in all i was extremely pleased with the aussie. i would get one again in a second.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I like to hear Jack. You were happy with it. So with my limited budget I will still be able to have a great off road truck. Someday when I get more into it and have the cash I would go with ARB or detroits but right now I want the most bang for my buck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts