Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The window goes up and down, the handle seems to be attached but the the darn tailgate won't open. Where do I start?

·
Broncoless
1,494 Posts
pull the inside panel off so you can see the linkage going to the hadle from the latches. try the handle while looking at it and see if the rods move or not. if not you might be able to grab the rods by hand and pull them to open the tailgate and then find out what the main problem is. i had to open my 89 that way because the handle itself ways fryed. hope this helps you out

·
Forward Some Money
5,054 Posts
Additionally, there is a vertical rod that goes from the remote mechanism (where the handle attaches) to the bottom of the t/g. That rod needs to be down in order for the handle to function. When the glass goes down it usually forces the bottom of the rod down which then allows the handle to function.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone!!!!:thumbup

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I open my tailgate by pulling the horizonta rods. Doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another thing to look into is that the rods going to the latches could be bent and arent pulling the latches enough. That was a problem with mine. I just bent them back into shape by hand. I didnt remove them or anything, so you may want to try that.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try pushing on the top of it while pulling the handle. On mine I have to push the top left to get it to open, haven't looked at it yet but I think it's a worn bushing where it latches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts