Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 408 Stroker is finally built and installed in the truck. Still need to finish the MAF Upgrade and decide on whether to change to an AKCO Lighting EEC for tunability. Then initial break-in and onto the Dyno for a custom chip. Target is 350+ HP and 500+ TQ at the flywheel.

MAF Upgrade
Ford F150 EEC - WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
Pro-M Racing 75mm Mass Air Meter
RJM Injection Technologies Truck MAF Conversion Harness
Distributor Mount TFI Module
Single Narrow Band Oxygen Sensor
DynoJet Performance Tune w/Custom Chip

Engine
Factory Ford 351W Block, Bored 0.030, Honed, Decked
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshaft
Eagle Forged 4340 H-Beam Connecting Rods
SRP Forged 31cc Inverted Dome Pistons
Speed Pro Plasma Moly Rings
Clevite H Series Main and Rod Bearings
Pioneer SFI Race Harmonic Balancer
Pioneer Heavy Duty Flexplate
Fully Balanced Rotating Assembly
AFR 185cc Outlaw Street Cylinder Heads
Full Head Porting
Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Roller Camshaft 35-351-8
Comp Cams Pro Magnum Retro Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Comp Cams Hi-Tech Push Rods
Comp Cams Pro Magnum Full Roller 1.6 Rocker Arms
Cloyes Double Roller Timing Set
ARP Main Studs
Milodon 4x4 Oil Pan
Milodon Oil Pick-up Tube
Melling High Volume Oil Pump
Modified Lokar Flexible Oil Dipstick
Aluminum Performance Water Pump
High Torque Mini Starter
Super Duty Poly Motor Mounts
Ford Racing Tall Polished Aluminum Valve Covers
ARP SS 12-Point Fasteners Throughout

Intake
Custom Air Intake w/K&N Filter
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Intake Porting
BBK 56mm Twin Throttle Body

Exhaust System
Bassani SS Ceramic Coated Equal Length Headers
Remflex Exhaust Gaskets
Bassani SS Y-Pipe w/SS High Flow Cat
Bassani SS High Flow 3” Cat Back Exhaust

Fuel System
Holley/Walbro 255 lph In-tank Fuel Pump
Accel High Impedance 42 lbs/hr Fuel Injectors
Professional Products Powerflow Fuel Rail
Professional Products Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
BBK Rail Mounted Fuel Pressure Gauge
Canton Racing Products High Flow Fuel Filter

Ignition System
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD Steel Distributor Gear
MSD Cap & Rotor
Distributor Mount CCD TFI Module
MSD 6A Ignition Control
MSD Ignition Harness
MSD Ignition Noise Filter / 26 KUFD
MSD Blaster TFI Coil
Accel 300+ 8.8mm Race Wires
DEI Protect-A-Boot Spark Plug Heat Shields
NGK Spark Plugs
1 Gauge Power/Ground Wire Upgrade

408 Stroker, Edelbrock Intake, AFR 185 Heads, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam.

All Forged Internals, Fully Balanced Rotating Assembly, Blueprinted and Full Porting.

Professional Products Fuel Rail, Adjustable FPR, Accel 42 Lbs/Hr Fuel Injectors and RJM Injection Technologies MAF Upgrade Harness.

Crossover fuel line modification due to interference with ECT Sensor.

Pioneer SFI Race Harmonic Balancer and Milodon 4x4 Oil Pan.

Custom Bassani Y-Pipe modification to fit around Milodon Oil Pan.

4" Rancho lift, Bushwackers, Holbrecht Side Bars, 4.56 Gears and 33x12.50x15 BFG AT KO on Alcoa Wheels.

More pics to come. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Very Nice! :thumbup I've been really happy with my 408 setup. Torquey for a small block. Who's doin you tuning?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey it sure looks like you're putting a lot of love into this project, good for you. I'm not sure where you are located but if you're interested there is a shop in Kirkland that is very high tech and they have a new 4x4 dynomometer. I had them dyno my stock 5.8 and look forward to taking it back to have them do it again once I get my new engine completed. Drop me a line and we can BS more later. [email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I learned a lot from my Dyno last Wednesday. The engine is running perfect but the E4OD is slipping heavily under power. Only 240 HP and 280 TQ. I am told with approximate 40% loss at the rear wheels due to the slipping transmission. Builder is still confident in the target HP & TQ numbers.

We confirmed that the problem is mechanical and not electrical. I was hoping for the trans to keep up with the 408 Stroker Build but a performance E4OD modification is clearly in order. Here was what I was working with:

E4OD Transmission Rebuild – (11/2005)
Transgo Transmission Reprogramming Kit
Motorcraft Neutral Safety Switch/Manual Lever Position Sensor
Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan (16 + 7.5 quarts)
B&M Racing 29,200 BTU Transmission Oil Cooler (11x11x1.5)
Perma-Cool Remote Transmission Oil Filter Mount
Complete Amsoil Synthetic ATF Flush & Fill

Interestingly, the "Push Start" TFI is working well with the WAY1 EEC at this point with no CEL or codes. I still may change to a "CCD" TFI regardless.

I also made the mistake of installing two new HEGO bungs in the Bassani Y-Pipe until I determined that the OBDI/E4OD/MAF WAY1/VEX1 EEC Binary is programmed for only one O2 Sensor. The Mustang MAF Computers use two HEGO's. 1996 OBDII Broncos use three. Oooops... now it is clear. Easy fix.

Anyway, I will attempt a good tune after the E4OD is massaged. And yes, the rear end will be upgraded upon completion of my recovery process - fiscally, and spousally... :shocked

So, am I missing anything or am I on the right track? I did expect the E4OD to hold with tuning...

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/771968

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/771971

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Are you going to replace the converter? I would. Personally I'd go with a manual like a ZF5 if I were making 500tq like you, but that's just me.

I'd love to do a project like this in the future, nice!:thumbup

·
Registered
117 Posts
HEY! go look at the Picture with the front of your Oil pan showing. You are gonna have problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I bought the same oil pan, after i installed the new 434 stroker, i found out that there was not enough clearance in between the cross member and front pan bolt, when the motor torqued that bolt slapped off the cross member and eventually cracked the pan and leaked. I took the bolt out, removed the pan, cleaned it, and welded it, no more issues. If your motor puts out what you are hoping for, you will have this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HEY! go look at the Picture with the front of your Oil pan showing. You are gonna have problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I bought the same oil pan, after i installed the new 434 stroker, i found out that there was not enough clearance in between the cross member and front pan bolt, when the motor torqued that bolt slapped off the cross member and eventually cracked the pan and leaked. I took the bolt out, removed the pan, cleaned it, and welded it, no more issues. If your motor puts out what you are hoping for, you will have this problem.
Are you referring to the forward drain plug on the Milodon Oil Pan? I do not recall any clearance issue with the cross member but I will re-examine this closely as you are correct in that there is a lot of torque! Great tip!!! Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you going to replace the converter? I would. Personally I'd go with a manual like a ZF5 if I were making 500tq like you, but that's just me.
I was originally told by the builder that a new converter was not required due to the cam selection. All advice and options are now on the table for an efficient and bullet-proof transmission.

·
Registered
117 Posts
First. are you running a stock converter?
I would highly recommend you get a heavy duty converter, 500+ Ft lbs of torque will bend your fins inside that stock converter, and you will then have even bigger issues. My 434 stroker puts 720 Ft Lbs of torque at the crank, i run a TCI 2400 stall Heavy duty converter and have no problems, Call around to some good Tranny shops or motor builders and find what converter will work best for you. To really find the right converter you will have to know how much HP your motor is putting out as well as how much torque.I will get back to you on a good tranny shop, there is one up in Woodland Washington that does some Nasty! c6 work, they could tell you what converter will work best.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I was originally told by the builder that a new converter was not required due to the cam selection. All advice and options are now on the table for an efficient and bullet-proof transmission.
There is a trans guy in Auburn named Brady. His shop is called TransEnz. In my opinion, he is one of the top trans guys in the area. I've had him build a few transmissions for me over the past 15 years and they have all proved to be exceptionally durable. While he was out of town working for Transgo, I had my E4OD built at another shop. They did good work but it never really shifted the way I wanted. I was about ready to swap it out for a GM :whiteflag trans when he moved back and opened a small shop. One call, described the problem and he said bring it down, easy fix. And it was, part of the afternoon and a few bucks and the thing shifts perfect........it's hard to say that about many E4OD's in my opinion. Anyhow, I've been runnin mine behind my 408 with some pretty severe use and it runs like new. wow, that turned out to be pretty long winded......:doh0715:

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 434 stroker puts 720 Ft Lbs of torque at the crank, i run a TCI 2400 stall Heavy duty converter and have no problems,
I've been runnin mine behind my 408 with some pretty severe use and it runs like new.
Wow! Reinstills my confidence in the E4OD!!! Definitely, a Heavy Duty Torque Converter is in order as I believe mine to be stock... As I am starting with a well cooled stock trans, what other questions should I be asking?

Unfortunately, I can only give projected HP & TQ numbers at this point because we failed to get a good dyno run due to the trans. The EEC is currently running on a "start-up" chip.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts