Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 408 Stroker is finally built and installed in the truck. Still need to finish the MAF Upgrade and decide on whether to change to an AKCO Lighting EEC for tunability. Then initial break-in and onto the Dyno for a custom chip. Target is 350+ HP and 500+ TQ at the flywheel.

MAF Upgrade
Ford F150 EEC - WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
Pro-M Racing 75mm Mass Air Meter
RJM Injection Technologies Truck MAF Conversion Harness
Distributor Mount TFI Module
Single Narrow Band Oxygen Sensor
DynoJet Performance Tune w/Custom Chip

Engine
Factory Ford 351W Block, Bored 0.030, Honed, Decked
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshaft
Eagle Forged 4340 H-Beam Connecting Rods
SRP Forged 31cc Inverted Dome Pistons
Speed Pro Plasma Moly Rings
Clevite H Series Main and Rod Bearings
Pioneer SFI Race Harmonic Balancer
Pioneer Heavy Duty Flexplate
Fully Balanced Rotating Assembly
AFR 185cc Outlaw Street Cylinder Heads
Full Head Porting
Fel-Pro Performance Head Gaskets
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy Hydraulic Roller Camshaft 35-351-8
Comp Cams Pro Magnum Retro Fit Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Comp Cams Hi-Tech Push Rods
Comp Cams Pro Magnum Full Roller 1.6 Rocker Arms
Cloyes Double Roller Timing Set
ARP Main Studs
Milodon 4x4 Oil Pan
Milodon Oil Pick-up Tube
Melling High Volume Oil Pump
Modified Lokar Flexible Oil Dipstick
Aluminum Performance Water Pump
High Torque Mini Starter
Super Duty Poly Motor Mounts
Ford Racing Tall Polished Aluminum Valve Covers
ARP SS 12-Point Fasteners Throughout

Intake
Custom Air Intake w/K&N Filter
Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold
Intake Porting
BBK 56mm Twin Throttle Body

Exhaust System
Bassani SS Ceramic Coated Equal Length Headers
Remflex Exhaust Gaskets
Bassani SS Y-Pipe w/SS High Flow Cat
Bassani SS High Flow 3” Cat Back Exhaust

Fuel System
Holley/Walbro 255 lph In-tank Fuel Pump
Accel High Impedance 40 lbs/hr Fuel Injectors
Professional Products Powerflow Fuel Rail
Professional Products Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
BBK Rail Mounted Fuel Pressure Gauge
Canton Racing Products High Flow Fuel Filter

Ignition System
MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
MSD Steel Distributor Gear
MSD Cap & Rotor
Distributor Mount CCD TFI Module
MSD 6A Ignition Control
MSD Ignition Harness
MSD Ignition Noise Filter / 26 KUFD
MSD Blaster TFI Coil
Accel 300+ 8.8mm Race Wires
DEI Protect-A-Boot Spark Plug Heat Shields
NGK Spark Plugs
1 Gauge Power/Ground Wire Upgrade

408 Stroker, Edelbrock Intake, AFR 185 Heads, Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam.

All Forged Internals, Fully Balanced Rotating Assembly, Blueprinted and Full Porting.

Professional Products Fuel Rail, Adjustable FPR, Accel 40 Lbs/Hr Fuel Injectors and RJM Injection Technologies MAF Upgrade Harness.

Crossover fuel line modification due to interference with ECT Sensor.

Pioneer SFI Race Harmonic Balancer and Milodon 4x4 Oil Pan.

Custom Bassani Y-Pipe modification to fit around Milodon Oil Pan.

4" Rancho lift, Bushwackers, Holbrecht Side Bars, 4.56 Gears and 33x12.50x15 BFG AT KO on Alcoa Wheels.

More pics to come. :thumbup
SWEET!! was referred to you as I am looking for new timing chain cover bolts, do you have the part number by any chance? Thanks!!!!:goodfinge

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice build...just let me know when you want to sell your motor and trans...or maybe if JBG sold a set up ready to go for the Broncos it would make my life and others a little easier. I mean all we really want is a nice 351 build with intake and programing options with a tuner. Basically a 96 with a Saleen 351.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sent you a PM about it as well- but how could you tell it was the tranny slipping?

Well, I learned a lot from my Dyno last Wednesday. The engine is running perfect but the E4OD is slipping heavily under power. Only 240 HP and 280 TQ. I am told with approximate 40% loss at the rear wheels due to the slipping transmission. Builder is still confident in the target HP & TQ numbers.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Sent you a PM about it as well- but how could you tell it was the tranny slipping?
A torque converter has three stages of operation: stall, acceleration and coupling. With that being said, the torque converter is a fluid coupler that always has a certain amount of "slip" inherently built into it. This slip is unavoidable due to fluid being the main component of the coupling action. The upside is hydraulic slippage allows the the engine to spin at idle and cushions between gear changes similar to a manual clutch. The downside is less gas milage than a manual transmission and more friction that creates heat. To minimize the problem at cruising speeds there is a clutch disc built into the torque converter. At about 45-50 mph, the EEC directs high pressure fluid to engage the clutch eliminating any slippage. This is otherwise known as torque converter "lock-up".

With my new high torque stroker at WOT, the one year old stock transmission could not create enough pressure to engage the clutch causing friction, heat and the inability to effectively lock-up. Keep in mind that this was a stock E4OD having been rebuilt two years previously with a heavy duty Transgo Shift Reprogramming Kit. In an attempt to defeat this issue, I then installed an external B&M ShiftPlus Electronic Shift Improver to recalibrate the transmission hydraulic system. Again on the Dyno, I had firmer shifting but I still had significant slippage and could not get a good run.

Clearly my stock transmission was incapable of performance and longevity behind the new stroker. After much research, I decided to upgrade to a new custom Level 10 Bulletproof PTS transmission. Some significant upgrades are a Billet Torque Converter having a custom pump, turbine and stator along with a anti balloon plate and a high-performance lock-up clutch. The Billet internals create a significant increase in strength in the both the pump and turbine fins which can deform or even break when using lighter weight OEM components. To further protect the transmission from damaging heat, I also installed a Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan (16 + 7.5 quarts), B&M Racing 29,200 BTU Transmission Oil Cooler, Perma-Cool Remote Transmission Oil Filter Mount, Transmission/Differential Temperature Gauges and l run exclusively with Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

At any rate, the new Level 10 PTS E4OD shifts incredibly well, locks up when it is supposed to and the transmission fluid never exceeds 180 degrees. As a side note, I was initially disappointed with my stall speed matching and I have just received my Level 10 Billet Torque Converter back from New Jersey where it had a custom upgrade to a 2500 rpm stall. (Stall being the rpm that the stator has to spin in order to overcome a given amount of load and begin moving the turbine). This should place my stall speed more uniformly within my peak torque curve, but at a cost. I fully understand that a higher stall will create more heat and that is why I went overboard with fluid cooling and capacity. The Level 10 PTS E4OD has turned out to be a great investment for my application as it provides incredible strength and dependability at the center of my performance drivetrain.

To answer your specific question, I could tell the OEM torque converter was slipping when I aggressively accelerated past 3000 rpm as it would significantly lose the acceleration that was expected from the new performance 408 Stroker. When I punched it on the Dyno, it would not hold a gear making the Dyno test invalid or the clutch would not lock up giving inappropriate numbers at the rear wheels. The OEM trans otherwise worked great and I sold it to a very happy buyer.

My next learning opportunity was destroying the pinion gear in my 8.8 rear necessitating a custom Currie F9+ upgrade. See the link in my signature at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps. :thumbup

See this link: Seattle FSB Level 10 PTS Bulletproof E4OD

·
Registered
69 Posts
To answer your specific question, I could tell the OEM torque converter was slipping when I aggressively accelerated past 3000 rpm and would significanly loose acceleration that was expected from the new performance 408 stroker.
Thanks for the thorough explanation! When you lost acceleration did the rpms continue to rise or stay flat? By the way- awesome truck you have there!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I am excited to see yer results with the new higher stall!

No posi in mine yet, so I can't fully use it.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks for the thorough explanation! When you lost acceleration did the rpms continue to rise or stay flat? By the way- awesome truck you have there!
My performance stroker would power through the friction. I am not sure if it would be the same for a stock 5.0L.

I am excited to see yer results with the new higher stall!
I am hoping to significantly improve my 7.0 second 0-60 mph time.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
At first it would hang, then after the increased hydraulic pressure of the B&M ShiftPlus it would accelerate with inappropriate power to the rear wheels. I have videos of both, just cannot upload them onto SuperMotors today.

Below is a video of a Dyno Run with the new Level 10 E4OD with the original 1800 rpm stall Torque Converter. Clearly the performance Level 10 Billet Torque Converter has no issues. My engine is currently out for mods and will be reinstalled with the new 2500 stall converter in a week or two. I am planning on another Dyno at that time, but the new stall speed will demonstrate itself on the road from a standing start.

Kenne Bell, huh? 12 psi? Nice! :twotu: So what is the problem you are having?

Click the Picture

·
Registered
69 Posts
At first it would hang, then after the increased hydraulic pressure of the B&M ShiftPlus it would accelerate with inappropriate power to the rear wheels. I have videos of both, just cannot upload them onto SuperMotors today.
Nice video- truck sounds mean. I have a hang up around 3000 rpm under WOT- my guess is that it is the tranny slipping since it sounds similar to your situation. I will probably have to take it in to the tranny shop and have them take a look at it :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Swat? Any ideas?
Not sure if I should start a new thread, but here is a picture about what is going on. You can see the rpms start hanging around 3100- it stays there for awhile, then picks up again. Lambda is steady at ~.78 for the whole run, so it is not a fuel issue. MAF volts are similar to rpms, but as far as I can tell there is no belt slippage, and this is with a larger pulley on as well ~8lb boost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '95 bronco that currently has the 5.0 in it. I want to buy a 408 stroker but I don't want to end up paying gallons/mile. I already get an average of 8-10 depending on how heavy my foot is that day. How far down will it go?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey Seattle
I am using Edelbrock intake setup on my 5.8 rebuild, do you think their is enough clearance (firewall/hood) for a heat spacer between upper and lower manifold?
Thanks PW

·
Registered
287 Posts
To create a heat flow barrier, keeping the air in the upper intake cooler and denser, Trick Flow Specialties 51520014 is 1 inch thick.
Matches Edelbrock 3881
I have the parts :thumbup wanted to know if in your opinion there is clearance to raise upper manifold 1 inch without contact with hood or firewall.

81 - 100 of 129 Posts