Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup got hit again last night. Took my radio, fishing gear and change... I had a nice pioneer digital media stereo (no cd's). They took the screws out and removed the dash bezel. They did a nice job of cutting wires and not breaking the bezel but of all the work they did they took the brackets connected to the stereo :banghead So off to the JY to find those again.

So the question is because these trucks are so easy to get into (doors locked windows up) how are you guys securing the deck in the dash from being stolen? I run with the top off during the summer.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
You can't. No matter what you do, if they want it bad enough, they'll take it. Ask yourself if you're good with replacing the brackets or the entire dashboard. One thing that will at least slow them down is to remove the inner door handles if you have to store the rig. But otherwise, do what you can and hope they don't destroy the dash if they get in again.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
What a bastard. Sorry to hear that. I had my truck nearly broken into just a few months ago.

A sign stating you have a mean ass dog or are armed to the teeth will go a long way.:thumb up

You could try a door alarm, supposing they try to use the doors...

·
I see Broncos
6,011 Posts
Interior proximity sensor and a Klaxon style horn.

The only drawback are cats, those ****ing things love to jump into Broncos and sometimes they leave with a little piece of it when that horn goes off.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
^^ I'm safe! If it does get stolen they will be terribly disappointed by the fact that it does not work.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish I could be lucky enough the catch them in the act.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQkAIhX3QUI

Thanks guy is know there is not much I can do but it seems like just giving in. Getting security cams soon. Got a couple ideas on secure the radio in.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
In the five years Eddie sat in my back yard, it was only broken into once, and it had to be by a tweeker, because they only stole the right front tire/wheel sitting on the front passenger seat (tire was flat). It amazes me because I had all my Crown Vic parts, plus the parts from Eddie's engine, stored in back, and none of the aluminum was gone when I sold it last year.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,584 Posts
friggen old school or a birth control method....try a pull out. cant steal what isn't there.

I still have my stereo Pioneer tape deck cd controller unit. just took it with me when I left it unattended.

Or put it where they wouldn't look for it with a busted ass stocker in the factory location. Think outside the box.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
When I was in the U.S. Navy, we called that kind of retribution "falling up a ladder."

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,626 Posts
Doesn't the tuffy console have a secure radio setup?

thieves are lazy... it's why they steal instead of have jobs. make it more complicated than it's worth. nothing can't be broken into... it's a matter or effort vs. return. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
You could always do what I do and park it on a secure military base next to the security office. ;)

Actually, in my experience, thieves are a pestilence of opportunity. They won't steel anything they can't see, so simply covering up anything they may want to steel goes a long way. They're not going to steel anything they can't see what it is. A rag, shirt or something covering up anything you don't want stolen will keep them from even seeing its there.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,050 Posts
friggen old school or a birth control method....try a pull out. cant steal what isn't there.

I still have my stereo Pioneer tape deck cd controller unit. just took it with me when I left it unattended.

Or put it where they wouldn't look for it with a busted ass stocker in the factory location. Think outside the box.
This I feel is the best option, especially if you have amps and other stereo equipment. Once the head unit is out they will see the rca cables and that will tell them there is other things to take. I also used to have the prox probes and an alarm, that works if the truck is nearby seems the car alarms do not do what they once did though as in who actually looks at a car alarm going off now a days?

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
Seems the car alarms do not do what they once did though as in who actually looks at a car alarm going off now a days?
It's interesting you bring this up, as I have a theory: 'boom' systems became popular to do one thing, and that's set off car alarms. By doing so, thieves knew which cars had something to steal, and if turned up loud enough, would cover the sound of the alarm horn. Which is why alarms began to have remote notification, either to the alarm's fob or to a cell phone. Whether you believe this or not, it does stand to reason.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Your stereo didn't have a detachable face? I thought most decent ones did.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
My plan, when it comes time for stereo installation, is to use a hidden location (most likely a Tuffy with stereo slot) and an alarm. The message basically is, you are going to have to work to steal something from this truck AND deal with a blaring alarm while you do it...

·
Forward Some Money
5,044 Posts
I'd use a braided coated cable (wire rope) attached to the top/back of the radio with tamperproof screws and snake it down behind the dash and attach it to a solid brace or the firewall with padlock so you can get it out when you need to. .

Even if they remove the bezel and faceplate, they probably won't be able to figure out why it wont "pull" out and if you do it right, they can't get cable cutters up behind it.

I've made some customized cables using that small cable, thimbles duplex sleeves like in the link below to secure valuables. (a smaller version of bike lock cables.) You might be able to adapt some computer security cables.

http://webriggingsupply.com/pages/catalog/hardware/hardware-intro.html

Keep in mind, the might get wise after the first attempt, or worse, they may get pissed off and vandalize your interior or truck.

If you could combine that (cable) to slow them down, with a silent alarm that calls your cell or a pager, perhaps you could catch them and call police.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts