Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in changing the Ujoint on the pass axle shaft I have found my slip yoke to be seized up. Anyone have any tips on getting this apart?

My ideas consist of heat, penetrating oil, and heat. I'm trying to figure out some way to set up some type of pulling mechanism.

All ideas welcome.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I have had trouble getting a few driveshafts apart because the splines are twisted but never an issue on the inner slip shaft. I would try penetrating oil over night or some heat and hammering on it. If you take the ujoints out you may be able to pound it out by putting the yoke in the vice and beating the slip shaft out of it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Dose it with lots of WD40/oil. Put it back in the truck and fix a rachet strap to the loose end and the other end to something solid on the truck and pull it apart. Tap it with a hammer with lots of tension on it. then clean and grease and put it back together.
PaulW
==========
So in changing the Ujoint on the pass axle shaft I have found my slip yoke to be seized up. Anyone have any tips on getting this apart?

My ideas consist of heat, penetrating oil, and heat. I'm trying to figure out some way to set up some type of pulling mechanism.

All ideas welcome.

·
has one helluva
441 Posts
what i would do is hit it with some PB for a day or two...twice daily, then finish up treatment with a torch fueled by MAP gas...(yellow can)...it gets hot, and give that a shot...you might have to give it a couple taps with a hammer on removal to help it out.

·
Snow Bunny
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, pb blaster over night, a come along strapped to the shaft, lots of heat, and alot of pounding, she came free. It started out slow, but once it released from the yoke, the shaft shot all the way out and on to the ground. so I guess I had some tension on the come along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts