Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m rebuilding my drum brakes and my self adjusting arm/lever isn’t locking to the adjuster gear. I have no idea what the problem could be. My other brake worked fine once I rebuilt it and I followed the same process. Any ideas? (I have tried maneuvering it up and it doesn’t work)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil Rim Vehicle brake

White Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bicycle part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Bumper

· ate lug
88, 90, 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,071 Posts
Up top, the two springs should be on top of the cable. That's the only thing I see wrong. I'm not sure that would cause the cable to put a side load on the lever, but I suppose it's possible. Did you try flipping the hook around on the cable? I can't remember if it's supposed to hook into the back side of the lever or the front, but I could see that causing it to pull away, if it's backwards.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up top, the two springs should be on top of the cable. That's the only thing I see wrong. I'm not sure that would cause the cable to put a side load on the lever, but I suppose it's possible. Did you try flipping the hook around on the cable? I can't remember if it's supposed to hook into the back side of the lever or the front, but I could see that causing it to pull away, if it's backwards.
The cable isn’t causing any problems. I’ve tried it with both orientations and with the springs on top of it. No luck

· Registered
241 Posts
Compare the old parts to the new. Lever and shoe. The hole for the lever looks further back in the shoe compared to pictures I have, but it is very hard to be sure.

· Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,660 Posts
The cable hook in the old set up is in a different position. Old set up cable is pulling lever back, new setup it’s pulling lever up. Like Narve mentioned you need to put old and new parts side by side and compare

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cable hook in the old set up is in a different position. Old set up cable is pulling lever back, new setup it’s pulling lever up. Like Narve mentioned you need to put old and new parts side by side and compare
I have already compared them side by side. The cables are the same length, and I ended up using the old one anyways. The orientation of the hook hasn’t mattered, since I have tried both to no avail.

· ate lug
88, 90, 96 broncos, 96 F250
9,071 Posts
The cable isn’t causing any problems. I’ve tried it with both orientations and with the springs on top of it. No luck
You still need to change up the order of the springs & cable, you can see the cable riding off the guide in your picture.

Its been many years since ive done brakes on an 8.8, is the lever supposed to be bent like that?

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
You need to reposition the cable like Reptillikus mentioned, cable first then springs

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You still need to change up the order of the springs & cable, you can see the cable riding off the guide in your picture.

Its been many years since ive done brakes on an 8.8, is the lever supposed to be bent like that?
I’ll switch the positioning when I get home and let you know. The lever is supposed to be bent like that though. It looks a little questionable at first, but works great (on the other side at least)

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ll switch the positioning when I get home and let you know. The lever is supposed to be bent like that though. It looks a little questionable at first, but works great (on the other side at least)
Light Automotive tire Coil Tread Audio equipment

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Synthetic rubber
Still nothing. I switched the orientation of the hook and put the ring at the base behind the 2 springs. Could I bend the spring’s “hook” (the one attacked to the arm) in order to tighten it??

· Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Did you compare the old lever to the new to make sure they were exactly the same? This is just weird,

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did you compare the old lever to the new to make sure they were exactly the same? This is just weird,
They’re they same. If it means anything, I got the kit from Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard. I’m just so confused about all of it. I think I might just call a mobile mechanic for help if I can’t figure it out in a day or two

· Registered
1,203 Posts
try using the old lever with the new hardware. Maybe that oblong hole / bends in the new lever is slightly off, making the lever end up in a different position.

· Registered
95 EB Bronco, 5.8L
119 Posts
I guess you've got two threads going on this issue. Here's my .02, as I posted this on the other thread.
It kind of looks like that lever is riding too far down on that star wheel and isn't engaging the teeth properly on the star wheel. Check that the cable guide's flange (on the backside of the guide) is inserted all the way in the brake shoe's hole before the spring's hook is installed. If it isn't, that would effectively make the cable longer, allowing the lever to ride low on the star wheel. The tab should ride slightly higher than the halfway or 9 o'clock position on the wheel, otherwise it just rides on and slides over the teeth.
It may not matter, but usually the tab on the adjusting lever is bent back slightly so the edge better engages those teeth. That tab in your photo looks to be pretty flat.
You said the cables measured the same, so I suspect it's more likely the out of position cable guide. Otherwise try using the old lever to see if that resolves the issue. Good luck!

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Coil Rim Vehicle brake

Appreciate the detail! The slightly rusty master cylinder is my brake I’m having issues with and there is a noticeable difference with the guide. I’m hoping that should be the problem, but I can’t help but think the spring holding the guide looks a little off too. Do kits normally come with copies of the same springs (making it so that you have to flip them over for them to work)? Or are they typically made specifically for the right and left?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess you've got two threads going on this issue. Here's my .02, as I posted this on the other thread.
It kind of looks like that lever is riding too far down on that star wheel and isn't engaging the teeth properly on the star wheel. Check that the cable guide's flange (on the backside of the guide) is inserted all the way in the brake shoe's hole before the spring's hook is installed. If it isn't, that would effectively make the cable longer, allowing the lever to ride low on the star wheel. The tab should ride slightly higher than the halfway or 9 o'clock position on the wheel, otherwise it just rides on and slides over the teeth.
It may not matter, but usually the tab on the adjusting lever is bent back slightly so the edge better engages those teeth. That tab in your photo looks to be pretty flat.
You said the cables measured the same, so I suspect it's more likely the out of position cable guide. Otherwise try using the old lever to see if that resolves the issue. Good luck!
Check reply with photos.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts