Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have and 84 xlt bronco 351w that i got for $900.:thumbup
It ran great for a couple weeks,then it started to get a lot of blow by,so i replaced the PCV valve and it is still shooting oil out of the dipstick.:doh0715:
I think it is the piston rings.

So my question,should I spend the winter rebuilding the motor with my dad?
Or should i sell it while it runs and get a newer bko with a better motor?

if i were to sell it,about how much would it be worth?
And how much will it cost to rebuild and add minor upgrades while i am in there?

thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
hows the rust? if i had the chance, i would re-build with my father and try to enjoy the time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hows the rust? if i had the chance, i would re-build with my father and try to enjoy the time.
The rust is ok,there is a 4-6 inch hole on the tail gate,and some under the body. and i dont know what is under the carpet.....

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Post some pictures up lets see what your working with.

Thats really up to you if you want to take the time and money to rebuild. Or do you want to sell and have another bronco (that you dont kno what other problems your getting) and no work.

Me i would rebuild, that way you know nothing is wrong and you have a good motor. Any chance i can get out in the garage with my dad i jump on it. Nothing better than spending time with dad in the garage that doesnt last forever!

Good luck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For what it's worth, the newest Bronco you could aquire would be 15 plus yrs. old. Chances are you would be aquiring a new set of problems unless you find one that's been restored. Then you're talkin' $$$$.

You picked it up right and from the pic you have it doesn't look that bad. I see you're from Washington, don't know bout you, but I try to save my Bronco projects for summer, fall, as we can have some tough winters here in Ks.

Point is: Maybe there's an additive or other short term suggestions from others to address your blow-by issues til you and your dad can plan a build, restoration, or whatever. Keep what ya got, do it up the way YOU want it!IMHO:thumbup

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is the rust

and here is a better pic of it

·
Registered
79 Posts
She's in good shape. Most of the rigs round here have that tailgate rust plus they're usually rusted comepletely out on the wheel arches. Your rig looks solid, restore/rebuild that bad boy!:rockon

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
X2 with Saltlife85 but remember it's a 27 year old USED ABUSED, PO owned vehicle but if the body and frame are in decent shape the rest is downhill, just rebuild the engine. I had a stock 302/5.0L EFI long block built and assembled locally for $1575.00 and I've never regreted it, runs like a swiss watch now and I really enjoy driving it.

I swapped in the engine entirely by myself with a few tips.....lol lol...from friends here at FSB.....it was great challange for me, took me about 2 weeks everyday but I got it done, go here for my video on www.supermotors.net/17406 - Aug & Sept 2008 Engine swap or click on "my flip video library" and scroll.

There are tons of inexpensive deals on the internet for complete crate motors, rebuild kits if your capable and have all the right tools, search around FSB and you'll find all kinds of 351 upgrades like Gacknar's HO 351/357 cui he built himself.

Originally Posted by JKossarides

"What's so great about this Bronco.?"......well IMHO, a Bronco saved is a Bronco reborn and back on the road where it belongs, isn't that why we're all here....?

My own quote but you get the idea.......lol lol

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts