Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i dont know all the details cuz i work outta town and wont see the truck till tomorrow, but my g/f was driving my bronco (1993 5.0 xlt) and it apparently shut off on her while driving and came back on, did this a few times to her to work and back home

now, it was running hot the other day, so i put in antifreeze and it hasnt gotten nearly as hot since, but last time something simmiliar happened to me it was in my stang about a week after i had gotten the stang a little to hot, i had fried my tfi

do the broncos have a tfi (thick film ignition) module mounted on the distrib. and do they have the same problems the mustangs had???

any other suggestions,

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Yeah, Broncos use the TFI ignition as well. IIRC, the earlier ones were on the distributor, and the later ones were mounted to the driver corner near the firewall.

Yep, they fail commonly too. Take it to a parts store and have them test it, but run the test a few times to simulate a hot-run.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are a 93 it be one the dist. right? sorry for the stupid questions but im 70 miles away right now and cant go look myself, ive got the ign. removal tool to get the tfi out needed from when my stang did this to me,

NA

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also on the autozone website they seem to call it ignition control module, is this the same thing? (part number F125)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
k, autozone also lists a performance version of this part by accel, for twice the standard replacement, would it last longer or not worth it?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Buy the MOTORCRAFT part. The other one is cheap, and not worth it. Somewhere on here there is a thread that explains why.
Personally, I'd run the codes on the truck before I replaced the TFI module. Could be anything--Ign. coil, Hall-Effect sensor, hell..it could even be the MLPS (would shift to neutral, then go back into gear, but your g/f might not know the difference).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts