Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought i'd ask a no bullshit question, and i'd like a no bullshit answer. what can be done about sexual harassment on the internet. i know there is a time and a place for that kind of stuff, but i dont think that time and place should be focused on underage girls just trying to talk to their friends on the net.

it concerns me because i coach a girls soccer team, and i cant help but notice a lot of lewd comments left to them from people that should be ashamed of the way they act towards them, partially because how how OLD they are. the girls have said it makes them feel uncomfortable, and they feel its quite demeaning, and at times, it ruins their days...

my question is this. do i spam these kinds of people for doing this, or what can i do? should i just report them? or could i get info on them from the right people and post it up in an anti pedo forum or something?

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
This is a real gray area because of the anonymousness of the internet. I guess the best thing you can do is report them to the proper authorities and let the law take over and try to do it's job the best it can. It's too bad idiots like this can not act their age. The problem with you doing anything personally is you make yourself liable. Is this worth risking your job, family and home over?

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its on myspace, which, i know is a public forum where thoughts can be expressed without consequence... but i really wanna beat the shit out of some people... i mean who gets off on telling a 14 year old such things?

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in a day or so here i'll have a couple of display names, and im gonna post em up in a few places, including myspace....think that'll help? or at least get them to leave these girls alone?

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have since told them to set their profiles to private, but it guess its just the principal of the whole thing. i wouldnt see it to be as big a deal if the people were 17 or 18, considering they are all still in high school, but a couple of these people are in their mid to late 20's and i cant see any reason for it.

a lot of kids on myspace have older friends from just living in a community (i happen to fall under that category) and listing your proper age doesnt allow people in different age groups to view each other's profiles. not that i need to or anything, but i was just wondering as to whether or not i could give these guys more than just a hard time, and turn the internet world into a very real thing for them, and not the way they wish...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
report it to Tom (owner and creater of myspace) but have proof. have the girls put their profile to private with the security questions..you must know their birthday/email address to even request to be their friend. its real easy to click the delete button on not just being friends with these so called men but also delete their comments and things that are left on their page. they can also block (ignore) these users by clicking the block button. but Tom would be your best bet for assisting you in taking care of these people. dont know about local authorities.

·
President, Mels fan club.
6,904 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I just dont understand why they have late 20's men as their friends. Sure if they know them from another type of function, such as family friends, friends brothers, brothers friends, etc....but friends dont leave sick comments to underage girls.

The way I see it, they are just as responsible as the guys doing it.

·
Bitchin.
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys. i'll be sure to provide them with those links and show them how to use all of that info.

im just one of those involved coaches. i have a little sister of my own, and the girls on my team are my friends as well as soccer players. i've known most of them since they were really little, and i treat them like family...

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
84x4bronco said:
thanks guys. i'll be sure to provide them with those links and show them how to use all of that info.

im just one of those involved coaches. i have a little sister of my own, and the girls on my team are my friends as well as soccer players. i've known most of them since they were really little, and i treat them like family...
That's a good thing that you are looking out for their best interest. Just out of curiosity, do the parents of the girls know what is going on and who is making these comments? If it were my daughter, I would probably confront the pervert and make him regret what he has done. It would also be awesome to see some of these perverts nailed and sent to jail. Doesn't matter where it happens, it's just wrong for someone in their 20's to be making suggestive statements to a 14/15yro.

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
512 Posts
I checked out My Space after being referred by a 37 y.o. friend,and soon noticed that it was pretty much a younger crowd.(I'm 40) I think maybe Genetrix has a good idea about contacting the owner and explaining the situation in depth.Rather than listing these pedo type peoples names somewhere,maybe the owner can keep track of these people after being brought forward by reporting them,warn them,and ban them if it happens again along with the fact that they will be reported to their local authorities.It's like Unixdude said,it's a "gray area" that not alot of authorities seem to take notice of. I know how it makes you feel concerning the girls,I just want to sometimes grab one of those lowlifes and issue a good 'ole fashion ass-whoopin! Even IF it's just internet contact,it shows a good possibility that at some point it may be acted upon against some child. --------I don't know either.....Jeff

·
FSM Lifetime
4,611 Posts
The problem with you doing anything personally is you make yourself liable. Is this worth risking your job, f
Actually in a lot of states you would be Required to report the sexual harrasment because of the position you have working with youth. I am a boy scout leader and help out with youth soccer (well till a bitchy mom this season, but thats another story.) I am required by Ga state law to report anything I even suspect to the police department. They in turn will do any investigation and be able to take the necessary actions against them. I am now known as an aware adult and have to watch for it since all of the youth protection courses. You can't decide if it is enough to contact the perpetrators about, but the police will. If you make those what the cops call "blind" accuasations and especially publically you could get in trouble for libel/slander, whatever. I am no great legal resource, but be very careful saying bad things about people publically that may not be true. I would print off all of the evidence you have and go to the police to make a report. They will investigate, contact myspace, and take the actions they think is necessary including helping you tell the parents. It is the reponsible thing to do. These freaks get away with it because so few people ever actually do anything :(

Those girls shouldnt be forced to make their profiles private. Those guys should see their posted ages/pictures and obey the law. They are obviously way out of their range. It is called jailbait for a reason and myspace has hundreds of thousands of old enough women to hit on.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I totally agree that there should be an age limit, yet it is so easy for them to lie or for them to get there parents to allow it if they dont meet the requirements. I have blocked certain websites on my computer at home ie...
myspace
easychat
colonies
My 12 year old son has been chatting with some rif raf and I believe it will lead him to trouble.

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
Audra said:
You can't decide if it is enough to contact the perpetrators about, but the police will. If you make those what the cops call "blind" accuasations and especially publically you could get in trouble for libel/slander,
That's the point I was trying to make, you just said it much more clearly than I did. Basically, be careful what you say in public, because it could come back to bite you in the arse. Taking the printouts to the authorities is the best thing to do and let them sort it out.

·
Well Done Man!
1,621 Posts
I coach girls softball.
If its not your kid, you need to tell the parents, what you saw and they need to handle it.
If the parents don't I would contact the police just to have it on record for yourself.
Just don't go start doing things with out the parents on your side.
They are not your kids.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts