Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I wanted to replace my serpentine belt and idler pulley this coming weekend. Scoured the net and this site for pics/steps on how to do it. No luck. I know this is a simple fix for many of you. Just wondering if anyone has pics that would be able to step me through. Not a wrencher at all, but hoping to learn.

My truck:
1994 Ford Bronco 351 V8

Thanks,
John

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Do you have the belt and pulley yet? One thing to remember is that the pulley bolt will be "backwards" or left handed thread. The bronco should have a picture showing the correct path that the belt takes. If not shoot a digital picture or a quick drawing before you take it off.

Take the pressure off of the belt by putting a wrench on the idler pulley and forcing it so you get slack in the belt. I forget the size of the nut, 15mm, 5/8" or something like that.

Then slide the belt off of the crank pulley and around the fan, it will be a PITA to get it between the fan and the shroud but you can do it without pulling the shroud.

Then pull the idler pulley off, remember that it is left hand vs. the right hand thread that you are used to.

Put the new one on and put the belt back on, pretty simple work just don't over-think it.

dc

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Assuming the 5.8 routes the same as the 5.0...

You want to follow the green routing. It is really easy. you basically drape it over the fan clutch/water pump pulley and then route it around the other accessories. One thing to note is you don't need to "lasso" the fan. I thought I did because I was use to v-belts but you don't. Anyhow, really it is pretty simple. Just look at it before you take it off and look at the diagram when you are putting it back on. In case you don't realize, the water pump/fan pulley runs on the "back" of the belt. The rest run on the ribbed side... Hopefully this didn't just confuse you more. Good luck. :beer

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

Stan, thanks for the search. Figured why I couldn't find the write up you found. I was only searching General Repair and Tech Help.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,810 Posts
It's not a tough job, you can do it.

If you do run into a problem and need help, there's guys around here pretty much 24/7 who can help. :thumbup

Just remember: If you find yourself trying to put the belt around the fan, you're doing it wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts