Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i got a router so i can hook up my computer and my ps3 at the same time to the internet and i cant finger it out.

i hook the modem up to the modem part, the comp into slot one and the ps3 into slot two and turn them on and nothing. I know the modem is getting its signal cause it is doing what it is supposed to do and the router show a strong signal but neither the comp nor the ps3 is connecting to the net. can anyone help a brotha out here

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Okay i got a router so i can hook up my computer and my ps3 at the same time to the internet and i cant finger it out.

i hook the modem up to the modem part, the comp into slot one and the ps3 into slot two and turn them on and nothing. I know the modem is getting its signal cause it is doing what it is supposed to do and the router show a strong signal but neither the comp nor the ps3 is connecting to the net. can anyone help a brotha out here
Router Brand?

Did you go through the initial setup of the router or just plug everything in and turn it on?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
If you have a single IP address going to your house (dsl, cable, etc) then you're going to need to do a little subnettage. But yeah, we need to know what router you're using.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
If you have a single IP address going to your house (dsl, cable, etc) then you're going to need to do a little subnettage. But yeah, we need to know what router you're using.
NAT? :scratchhe

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
Should do it from the second it gets power... they all come set up stock to do that.

OJ, disconnect the power from your cable modem, let it sit for a second, and reconnect the power with the cable modem plugged into the router.

I don't know if the later ones still do it, but cable modems that support DHCP and local talk for simple network sharing will only talk to the MAC addresses they see when they first start up. That'd be why the cable modem isn't talking to the router, and while it looks like the network is working, you can't get on the interwebernets.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
Most routers can spoof their MAC address, so you just need to know the MAC of the PC and be able to connect to the router to set it up.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
did you run the CD? :goodfinge

Seriously if you got a Linksys run the cd...simplest way.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i bought it off of ebay and it didnt have the CD with it. it is linksys thought. im reading on there tech forums some stuff to reset it and re config it to work with cable modem and what not

·
Registered
7,162 Posts
Is it a wrt54g? if so, go to 192.168.1.1 and you can reset it in there. Set up a WPA, password, etc. if you are going wireless. I am LAN dumb and I was able to finger it out. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
13,881 Posts
that is what you get for getting it off ebay...how much you pay for it? Only like 40 bucks for the wired one at any retailer.

·
Registered
473 Posts
what model linksys? what service are you using? cable / dsl? its different. if its cable then reset it by holding the button in for 30 seconds. restart the modem. you dont need the cd. just press the cisco light on the front.
If its dsl then you have to set the router to PPPOE and put in your account username and password. http://192.168.1.1 will get you in the router program.

the default username and password is: admin and admin

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
you need to call your ISP and tell them to add your new devices mac address and then you should be working.
No. They don't care and can't see what's on the other side of a cable/dsl modem.

i bought it off of ebay and it didnt have the CD with it. it is linksys thought. im reading on there tech forums some stuff to reset it and re config it to work with cable modem and what not
Did you try what I said? What model cable modem? If it's an older Motorola modem, I can pretty much guarantee you that's the problem.

the default username and password is: admin and admin
default on any linksys is no username, and the password is admin.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it working finally. had to reset a bunch of shit on my puter for when was wireless with my laptop and reset the router but it is good now. thanks guys

·
Registered
473 Posts
default on any linksys is no username, and the password is admin.
admin for both is what i use and its worked for more than 50 linksys routers I've setup. Its the common default login for most networking equipment. yes it works without a username too but most other devices do not.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that is what you get for getting it off ebay...how much you pay for it? Only like 40 bucks for the wired one at any retailer.
What is wrong with ebay?

i paid 6.50 cents shipped for it new in box

1 - 18 of 18 Posts