Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`m trying to set up my Dell laptop to the wireless setup here at the house. My wifes Toshiba is already set up, but her ex boyfriend did that for her and he`s a tech guy. I`m not likely to have the guy come over....so i`m trying to muddle though the best I can. Here`s the issue.

My Dell has no problem finding the network. I`m using Intel PROset Wireless. The network has security enabled, but it wont ask me for the password when I attempt to connect. I managed to get the MAC address inputted into the Dell laptop from the Toshiba. The problem is the security password. It is WEP, so it should be 24 characters. In the provided space under security settings there is a 10 or so (maybe 13) character password in there. I have the correct 24 character password, but everytime I input it then try to connect, it wont connect. When I then go back and check on the password, the 10 (13) character one is there again. It seems like it wont keep mine. Im pretty sure this is all thats keeping me from connecting to the router.

I emailed my computer whiz bro in law and he said.....

"Software\Microsoft\WZCSVC\Parameters\Interfaces"

Is the registry key location of the WEP key on Margaux computer (see I can spell it right). If you only have 24 hex numbers you probably don't have the complete key and that may likely be the source of the problem.

Next time i'm over I'm tempted to just flatten that mess.

But that doesnt really make any sense to me, a computer neandrethal.

Any ideas?

·
0 Posts
stop what you are doing.

Default the router by pressing in the reset button on the back.

Start fresh.

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stop what you are doing.

Default the router by pressing in the reset button on the back.

Start fresh.

Theres no reset button on the router, but there is an on/off button. It`s a Speedstream router.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Sounds like the router has MAC address authentication and the MAC address of your laptop isn't on the exception list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts