Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored a great deal on a set of Alcoas. $100, three are perfect, all the caps and decent tires that will last at least a year. One of the wheels has really bad brake dust, I didn't think much of it until I tried wheel cleaner, soft scrubbers, a ton of elbow grease and very little progress. The wheel finish where I did get it off (more on the vertical part of the rim) is still fine. It's the horiztonal surfaces where it's really plastered on. i can scratch it off (with a finger nail), and it looks okay but I wouldn't have any nails left at that rate.

Lookin' for the miracle remover!

Biederboat

·
Registered
413 Posts
theres 2 things i would suggest.. 1. S.O.S. pad will warm water wil do it and it will minimise scratching on the rim (how steel wool wont scratch I dont know but I have seen it done and done it myself without scratches). the other is contact a tire and wheel shop, like discount tire, ask about wheel repairs.. there are companies that and clean, polish and seal the wheels so it wont build up so easily.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
This is an old thread, but Im going to revive it to give you your miracle cleaner. Works on aluminum or steel....this stuff is used to clean tractor trailers, aircraft, trains etc....but dont use it on painted surfaces.

http://www.baczymes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=s001&Product_Code=eh_aluminumbrightener_1&Category_Code=aluminum

It aint cheap at $82 per case (1 case = 6 gallons) and its pretty nasty stuff...contains a couple of acids if I recall correctly (phosphoric and muriatic I believe) ....disintiugrates latex gloves.... you'll need to use vinyl gloves. That said, it is a miracle cleaner, and 3 quarters of a gallon lasted me 17 years, so the high initial cost is actually pretty cheap when stretched out over the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts